Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,364,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
People are victimized in every era.
And?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
It’s not politically correct to have any pleasant memories of the good times from the ‘50’s because that era is so different and un-PC from the way things are now. The entire era back then must be demonized and vilified and anything decent or wholesome from the ‘50’s is to be ridiculed and defiled.
That's not necessarily true. There are things from the 50s that I admire:

-Decolonization of European colonies
-The double helix of DNA was discovered
-Polio vaccine was invented
-Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochran, Doo Wop, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney
-Japanese & European cinema hit it's stride
-Unions in the US were very strong and allowed the middle class to grow astronomically
-Moderate politics reigned
-The interstate system began
-Beat Generation
-Women's fashions
-American cars

But none of that diminishes the wrongs done during this time period. One can acknowledge both the drawbacks and benefits of an era without placing undue weight on either.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not fond of any time before 1970.
I completely understand. I am fond of the Progressive Era because it inspires me to do better for society. When I think of the strides made during that time because of the power of the people, it makes me a little less cynical. But like I said, I totally understand why a black man would not look back over American history with fondness or admiration.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well from the stats I read now black men are not in the home anymore like in the 50s. WTH happened? The "War on Poverty" was lost with more poor now, especially in the black community.

What are the stats on births now----40% to single women? The studies show single women with children are more likely to be poor and their children don't do very well with a lot of people in prison raised by a single parent.

I am just going by stats and they don't look good, I don't care how much one hated the 50s or anything from the 70s and the past, we don't seem to be doing that well now with all this freedom and so called advances society is suppose to have had.
I'm curious. Do you know how many men left their families during the Great Depression? It's a common phenomenon for men to leave their families during times of hardship. I'm also curious where you got your stats from. Lastly, do you realize that correlation does not mean causation? IOW, just because black men have freedom does not mean that freedom has caused them to leave their families. It's like saying we have global warming today because public education is a right - two things existing at the same time don't mean they are related.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yes, that's how EVERYBODY was in the past! They lynched blacks (whites were integral to the the freedom marches), killed gays?, integration (see the first point), women as chattel?

If people saw things as you do, we'd all be miserable. Oh that's right, misery is something everyone should enjoy.

BTW, it was the Democrats who defended the right to segragate and who populated the ranks of the KKK. Just thought you'd like a bit of true history.
Yep. Now many of those Dixiecrats are GOP members. Moderates switched sides due to the extremists in their midsts.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,017,656 times
Quote:
Then why was the description of the Cleavers as normal people questioned on your part? They obviously were not, and are not, politically correct enough for you because no one portrayed in the television show has any of the problems and psychological abnormalities that you listed which to you is normal and apparently considered the “correct” portrayal. I do not agree.
Sigh.

Because that portrayal was of a family that never really existed, at least not in any great quantity.

There were just as many problems and issues within families as there are now - in fact more so, because there was little to no talk of it outside the actual family, and many problems were just left to fester.

Women had little avenue to leave abusive, cheating husbands because they could not make as much as their male counterparts. Gay people were forced into the closet and either lived in miserable marriages or were "confirmed bachelors".

People drank themselves into oblivion in those days. And if you happened to be alcoholic, if it got so bad you could no longer be part of polite society - you got shoved off to the mental hospital.

Let's not even get into how your life was if you were a minority.

It's got nothing to do with being politically correct. It's that the OP has this ridiculous attitude that things were like that back then and wouldn't it be great if we all lived like that again. But the truth is life wasn't like that.

I have no problem with the tv show per se, tv is escapist. It's the silly notion that it was ever supposed to be any sort of actual representation of the times that irks me.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,149,930 times
Why don't you just say it, you love the romantic idea of when Black knew their place and Whites ruled everything.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM

25,869 posts, read 16,585,260 times
When I drive by some of the old neighborhoods in St Paul I think at one time there were families just like this and back then they were great neighborhoods. Then the freeway construction and the oil companies lobbying to turn this into a carcentric culture I think ruined the "community" of cities.

Now you see gangster idiots standing on the porches of these once beautiful homes with garbage and rusty cars sitting on the front lawns.

Thanks Standard Oil.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What are you talking about?
Dont fall into the Ugg trap, all they're doing is distracting from the subject. They're standing on the decks of the Titanic arguing about whether the lifeboat are needed and what the seating arrangements on the lifeboat should be. Ugg, please stay on topic.

Facts are gun violence and drug abuse were just as bad a problem in the 1950 as they are today. In our "instant news" world of today we should expect the same reporting standards back in the 1950's.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yes, that's how EVERYBODY was in the past! They lynched blacks (whites were integral to the the freedom marches), killed gays?, integration (see the first point), women as chattel?

If people saw things as you do, we'd all be miserable. Oh that's right, misery is something everyone should enjoy.

BTW, it was the Democrats who defended the right to segragate and who populated the ranks of the KKK. Just thought you'd like a bit of true history.
FYI, those dixiecrats you're referring to would be members of the racist teabagger branch of the GOP today. Fact is many left the dems and joined the GOP in the 1960's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies