Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM

73,039 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't know why they picked the 50s. I do know that the whole decade has been romanticized, mythologized and otherwise put on a pedestal - often for erroneous reasons.
I think I know what erroneous reasons you are talking about. I've discussed them

Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, at one time national network news was 15 minutes. Not I lot of time to dwell of school shootings and drug abuse. Things like that were swept under the rug in many case. Reporting of crimes and how police handled crime differed. Carrying a gun in school wasn't even a no no.

This guy did a little myth busting, Concealed Carry Laws and School Safety: Evidence from the 1940s and 1950s « Student Activism , using the search engine for the archives of the New York Times, looking for articles published between January 1, 1940 and December 31, 1959 that included the words ”shot” and “school.”

The search returned 4,940 results.
The essence of the 50s. Anything you could hide, you could hide it. Ironic that today, gun access for kids is officially restricted, but kids somehow get guns and shoot each other anyway.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I experienced the wonders of Hollywood and the L.A. Civic Center (that's what the hep people called it, BTW, calling it "downtown" was a clue you went to the Iowa Day picnic in Long Beach) in the 50's.

And, trust me on this, those well-dressed people going to a first run movie at the El Capitan included men who drank too much with "the fellas" after work then came home and smacked the little woman around just because they could and women who took "diet pills" that were actually nothing but speed and got horrendously addicted to them.

Aunt Henrietta in the Valley was having an affair with one of the Cub Scout fathers and Uncle Pete belonged to a golf club that admitted neither Blacks nor Jews. Oh, and Sally, who had a dang good curve ball, couldn't play organized sports with her brothers and the other boys on the block because she was.... wait for it..... a girl.
Yes. My father grew up in a nuclear family. His father was a volunteer firefighter and welder, mom was a stay at home mom but did work part time at a restaurant here and there. There were two girls and two boys in the family (dad and three sibs). Dad played baseball, delivered newspapers and had a mutt dog he found on the streets. His oldest sister was your quintessential 50s prom queen - pretty, spunky and married straight out of high school. Next sister was his buddy and they rode bikes together, caught fireflies and went camping with their grandparents. His brother was a handsome, flirtatious Vietnam War Vet. They lived and grew up in NJ and had all the trappings of your plainly average WASPy 50s/60s family.

Except my father's father was a drunk who came home and pulled my father out from underneath the bed to beat the crap out of him for no reason at all. My father learned to hide after the first time it happened.

Except my dad hid out at my grandparents' house because the fighting was so bad between his parents.

Except my dad's mother cheated on his father and moved all of the kids out of the house multiple times due to hellacious arguments with the father.

Except my father started drinking at 11.

Except my aunt married to get the hell out of that abusive home.

Except my uncle came back from Vietnam a hot mess, sorely in need of clinical psychological therapy and became a drug addict.

But you know, except for those exceptions, their perfect little nuclear family of the glorious 1950s was idealistic.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The difference between the 50s and the 90s has alot to do with illusion. Illusion comes from not having someone say anything. Because "the other" didn't have a say, everything was basically kept silent. People today say that we live in a more divided society than ever. People say we have more degenerates than ever.

I say this. WHEN HAVE WE NOT BEEN DIVIDED? WHEN HAVE WE NEVER HAD DEGENERATES? The difference between then and now is this. The "others" didn't have a say. If you were Black, Asian, female, Hispanic,etc , you didn't have a say. Any problems that you had, you kept them to yourself because you were considered "inferior" and you were expected to "know their place".

People complain about degenerates in our society. They have always been there. However, in the 50s, degenerates were shoved to the shadows. If you were considered a degenerate, no one wanted you around. There was no one to promote you. There were gangs in the inner cities in the 1950s. However, if you lived in the suburbs, you didn't think about this. You weren't there.

Basically, silence was the difference between 1950 and now. Today, everything is "in your face". The problems that have always existed in society were brought to the forefront, were put in everyone's face. People had to acknowledge these problems. No one had to acknowledge the dismal treatment of women until women started speaking out in larger numbers. No one had to acknowledge that African-Americans were being treated like crap until Dr. King and his protesters were being physically attacked by police officers and attack dogs. No one had to care, until it was on television.

Ain't that the truth? Amazing post and 100% spot on!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, answer this. How many sitcoms in the 1950s featured Black people outside of the images of Amos and Andy and The Little Rascals?

There were very few, if any, portrayals of Black people outside of stereotypes. No Bill Cosby in this era.
None. And what's scary is there are people that think it's a-ok!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know all of that was going on. It goes to show that the media didn't cover this stuff.
it was lifted straight off wikipedia - buzzy didn't bother to mention that part.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

take note:

This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2012)

Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I think I know what erroneous reasons you are talking about. I've discussed them
Yes you did and to great effect/detail!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
None. And what's scary is there are people that think it's a-ok!
I sadly think this is what some people want. Some people want the era where if you were female, or a racial minority, you didn't have a say, where you had to remain subservient.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yes you did and to great effect/detail!
Thank you.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it was lifted straight off wikipedia - buzzy didn't bother to mention that part.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

take note:

This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2012)

No, I did, been going back and forth with fleet and I cited the page earlier, but they chose to ignore it.

The other cite I had also had many of the shooting abstracted from the NYT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies