Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, day-after-day, we see examples of the higher morals of conservatives in the news. It really deserves its own thread so we can chronicle their exploits.
Why do that? Conservatives are human and humans are not perfect.

There are some conservatives who are not moral, but there are many who are. Pointing out some who are not doesn't really prove anything.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:11 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What about polio? I was born in fifty two. It was the year with the highest amount of new cases of the entire epidemic. Kids today have no chance of a friend in Jr. Hi. who was still effected by it.
This may surprise some people, but polio was around in other decades before the 1950s.

But there wasn't AIDS in the '50s.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
What we need now is a return to Bewitched, so we could twitch or noses and have all these jobs returned to our shores, and all our issues could be solved without any compromise or effort.

Now THAT was a reality-based show for you. LOL
Would they be allowed to start their drinks over lunch and do all the jokes that Larry could see things he shouldn't but he'd never say anything because he'd just think it was another alchol indused illusion?

Without booze they couldn't have followed the normal plot.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:24 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Silly to say that without mentioning the prices back then.

Here is a restaurant menu from the late-'40s or early-'50s. The .75 cents/hour wage went a long way back then!

Sorry, in the late 40's the min wage was $.40. A cheapass steak dinner costs 5 hours pay???? That's a good deal?

It is important exactly what year you menus are from. $2.00 in 1945 had the same buying power as $2.65 in 1950. Annual inflation over this period was 5.80%.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-22-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
For many people, the '50s were the greatest time for them. And for the country in many way... no huge national debt, no high unemployment, didn't owe China a lot of money, most Americans were patriotic, "God" was not a dirty word, you actually learned in school, etc.

By the 1970s, both the divorce rate and unwed mothers was up quite a bit.

Like I said, there is/was good and bad in every decade.
"God" is not a dirty word for me. I'm Catholic and proud of it.

For many people, the 50's were the greatest time for them. However, for ME, I'm talking about ME, it would not have been the greatest time. It would have been one of the worst.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Again, those problems are not exclusive to the '50s. There was no decade in which everything was great or perfect.

Interesting how some people bash the '50s, but not the '40s, '30s, '20s and earlier decades.
Because we are talking about the 50's that why The earlier year were proably worst than the 50's.
Np decade was perfect, but I like many other pollsters take offense that many republicans look at the 50's as being a "perfect time" and not take into the consideration of the suffering of other groups outside of the WASP (male) role model. The teabaggers are constantly screaming that they want their country back which is codeword for going back into that particuliar time.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM

I think the show that represented it's era the best was proably Archie's Place

Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
A few points about the 50s shows:

Given the prevalence of those who believe that kids *must* be spanked for discipline, why do they idealize a show like Father Knows Best where none of the children were ever spanked? The fact is that the discipline shown in that show was much more like the positive discipline I espouse today than that espoused by the conservatives who argue in the spanking threads. I doubt very much is any of the people here had that kind of upbringing.

Note too as someone else did that Robert Young was an alcoholic in his real life.

Interestingly, Jane Wyatt was raised in an upper-crust family that was not pleased when she became an actress. She was struck off the social register in NY when she made her debut on Broadway. I loved her as Spock's mother on Star Trek.

Lauren Chapin (who played Kathy) was abused (her father molested her), had an alcoholic mother, dropped out of high school at 16, became a drug addict and took quite a long time in rehab to get herself off drugs. She had 3 marriages and was a prostitute for a time as well.

Billy Gray (who played Bud) had drug problems as well and problems with the law.

Elinor Donahue (who played Betty) had a theatrical family - her mother was a theatrical costumer. She started as a dancer and a Vegas showgirl (underage at 14). She appears to have had the most *normal* live outside of theater - married to a TV executive in 1961 and staying with him until his death in 1991.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
A few points about the 50s shows:

Given the prevalence of those who believe that kids *must* be spanked for discipline, why do they idealize a show like Father Knows Best where none of the children were ever spanked? The fact is that the discipline shown in that show was much more like the positive discipline I espouse today than that espoused by the conservatives who argue in the spanking threads. I doubt very much is any of the people here had that kind of upbringing.

Note too as someone else did that Robert Young was an alcoholic in his real life.

Interestingly, Jane Wyatt was raised in an upper-crust family that was not pleased when she became an actress. She was struck off the social register in NY when she made her debut on Broadway. I loved her as Spock's mother on Star Trek.

Lauren Chapin (who played Kathy) was abused (her father molested her), had an alcoholic mother, dropped out of high school at 16, became a drug addict and took quite a long time in rehab to get herself off drugs. She had 3 marriages and was a prostitute for a time as well.

Billy Gray (who played Bud) had drug problems as well and problems with the law.

Elinor Donahue (who played Betty) had a theatrical family - her mother was a theatrical costumer. She started as a dancer and a Vegas showgirl (underage at 14). She appears to have had the most *normal* live outside of theater - married to a TV executive in 1961 and staying with him until his death in 1991.
So much for the reality of the family values of the 50's

Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM

52,707 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The teabaggers are constantly screaming that they want their country back which is codeword for going back into that particuliar time.
what time period was bammers screaming to go back to?

BARACK OBAMA @ Take Back America 2006 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.