Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So much for the reality of the family values of the 50's
Interesting you mention this. Back in the 50s, there were many husbands who cheated on their wives, just like what happens today. Teenage birth rates(ages 15-19) were at their highest between 1954-1959, peaking in 1957 with 96.3 births per 1,000 teenagers. Here is the link: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf

The difference between 1950 and now? Back in 1950, alot of women put up with cheating husbands. Also, it was easier for men to get away with cheating. Nowadays, with the way communication is these days, it is a bit easier to find out if a man is cheating or not. Today, more women work, and more women are getting divorces. Alot of women decide not to put up with men cheating on them. That is part of why divorce rates have risen. Alot of women do not put up with being physically abused or cheated on.

Teen pregnancy rates have dropped alot since the 1950s for a variety of reasons. However, teen pregnancy is alot more publicized than it used to be. Before, teenage girls who became pregnant was shamed and basically shoved to the shadows. A pregnant teenage girl was not allowed in school. She was sent away to live with a relative until the baby was born. The girl and the man who impregnated her would be forced to get married. Teen pregnancy was astronomical in the 1950s, moreso than today. In fact, today's teen pregnancy rates are at record lows. There was sex back then, and there is sex today. In the 50s, everyone kept it on the hush, and didn't want to let it be seen. When I went to high school(2000-2004), I thought that our society had a severe problem with teen pregnancies because I saw quite a few pregnant students. Looking back, and knowing what I know, at least most of them finished high school.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting you mention this. Back in the 50s, there were many husbands who cheated on their wives, just like what happens today. Teenage birth rates(ages 15-19) were at their highest between 1954-1959, peaking in 1957 with 96.3 births per 1,000 teenagers. Here is the link: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf

The difference between 1950 and now? Back in 1950, alot of women put up with cheating husbands. Also, it was easier for men to get away with cheating. Nowadays, with the way communication is these days, it is a bit easier to find out if a man is cheating or not. Today, more women work, and more women are getting divorces. Alot of women decide not to put up with men cheating on them. That is part of why divorce rates have risen. Alot of women do not put up with being physically abused or cheated on.

Teen pregnancy rates have dropped alot since the 1950s for a variety of reasons. However, teen pregnancy is alot more publicized than it used to be. Before, teenage girls who became pregnant was shamed and basically shoved to the shadows. A pregnant teenage girl was not allowed in school. She was sent away to live with a relative until the baby was born. The girl and the man who impregnated her would be forced to get married. Teen pregnancy was astronomical in the 1950s, moreso than today. In fact, today's teen pregnancy rates are at record lows. There was sex back then, and there is sex today. In the 50s, everyone kept it on the hush, and didn't want to let it be seen. When I went to high school(2000-2004), I thought that our society had a severe problem with teen pregnancies because I saw quite a few pregnant students. Looking back, and knowing what I know, at least most of them finished high school.
Thanks for the info I'm not old enough to look upon those days fondly, but I do recall the stories that my parents and grandparents had told me about what was going on with them and the people around them. There were some positive things even within the black community (unity, accountability, self suffiency due to the racism) but outside of it was terrible.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
[quote=uggabugga;27057887]what time period was bammers screaming to go back to?

BARACK OBAMA @ Take Back America 2006 - YouTube[/quote
Not be confuse with ........

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-24-2012 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What, you mean like normal people?
You undoubtedly refute the nuclear family consisting of two normal parents and their children and have a better, yet drastically different in many respects, superior variation of what constitutes normal.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They just weren't on TV. Are you SERIOUS???? You know NOTHING of history. Those shows were an "escape" from reality.
Yes, I am serious. If you really think that drugs and guns in schools was the same in the '50s as it is now, YOU are the one who knows nothing of history.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,217 times
How much freedom do we have if we are forced to express love of god when we don't believe in god. Is it not a more free country if we are not coerced to feel the need to believe in a god? I want to feel free to express my belief that god is a fantasy cooked up by goat herder to explain why things worked that they did not understand. I want the freedom to stand up and say my Government lied to me about Yellow Cake to get me to go along with and illegal war, that I can feel its OK for Gays to have the same rights as I do, I don't want to go back to the 50 when Women were looked at as a Kitchen slave and Blacks knew their place. Where White men ruled to nation and if you did not agree with the status quo you had to keep it to your self and not talk about it. No your old world is dead because of freedom.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, I am serious. If you really think that drugs and guns in schools was the same in the '50s as it is now, YOU are the one who knows nothing of history.
Yes because no one got on top of the austin tower and shot up the campus. Things were so plesent expecially for white middle class people, the blacks and minoritys, not so much. Idiot

Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Apparently you're the one that know nothing about history.

Drugs and guns have always been part of our society.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only difference is more ppl, more guns, more ppl carrying guns, and a 24/7/365 media covering it today. (from 1992 to 1996 gun violence in America went down 20% but news coverage of gun violence went up 765%.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-23-2012 at 06:02 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Back then, that's what type of problems there were.

Serious problems like heavy drug use, guns in school, assault, etc were not common back then.
This is not true. I know my history, do you?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Those aren't the property of conservatives...lots of people share those values.

But

*families shouldn't stay together if daddy beats mommy or rapes his kids or refuses to work.

*there will ALWAYS be unwed mothers whether conservative or otherwise.

*schools had drugs, pedophiles and bullies

*everyone has national pride ....unless this country does something that we shouldn't be proud of.....and a true American knows the difference..

Yep.

Liberals love their families just as much as conservatives do. We just don't feel that people should stay in abusive relationships, be forced to marry because of a pregnancy or blindly support our government no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies