Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Prices to minimum wage actually seem quite similar. About 2.5 hours to earn a 16oz steak. About 45 minutes to get a cheeseburger and fries.

Getting hungry ;-) gotta wait for the turkey though.
My mom (and my aunts) said several times that a dollar went farther in the '50s and '60s than it did in the '70s and later. They were running the house and the finances so they would know.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
On the contrary, I have discussed at length life in the '50s with my mom and several aunts. All of them said it was their favorite decade.

So stop with the personal attacks, okay?
I have no doubt that your aunties describe it that way. None at all. Every bubble person I know is quite certain how life at large is or was. That's the thing about the bubble people, they don't know things, they believe things and that is all that is important. You will observe that I many times ask bubble people to validate what they believe with data or citations. With few exceptions, they never produce it. They simply believe things to be true, so they are true. It matters not if there are no actual facts upon which to build their opinions. They won't be dictated by facts, or fact-checkers, for that matter.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Let me add something else to this debate, there was no EPA and the water as well as the air quality was terrible in some areas thus a increase in medical probelms, low longevity rate, and high mortality birth rates. That does not sound like a happy, happy funtime to me

Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I have no doubt that your aunties describe it that way. None at all. Every bubble person I know is quite certain how life at large is or was. That's the thing about the bubble people, they don't know things, they believe things and that is all that is important. You will observe that I many times ask bubble people to validate what they believe with data or citations. With few exceptions, they never produce it. They simply believe things to be true, so they are true. It matters not if there are no actual facts upon which to build their opinions. They won't be dictated by facts, or fact-checkers, for that matter.
They are not "bubble people," they are those who experienced life and reality.

What if I said they hated the '50s? Would you say "you can't beat first-hand experience?"

Once again, liberals are anti-1950s because society was so much different than today's society, with the lack of morals and values.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Let me add something else to this debate, there was no EPA and the water as well as the air quality was terrible in some areas thus a increase in medical probelms, low longevity rate, and high mortality birth rates. That does not sound like a happy, happy funtime to me
Again, those problems are not exclusive to the '50s. There was no decade in which everything was great or perfect.

Interesting how some people bash the '50s, but not the '40s, '30s, '20s and earlier decades.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Those rules were just stupid and my mother never lived like that. Another myth?????
My mom wasn't absolutely like this, but she was not likely to confront anyone either. She did not take a job with Hanna Barbara when it was forming because Dad said no and privately I think regretted the decision. She had dinner and kept the house but she didn't dress up for dad. But when she was older and this tree which had a flat side we trimmed out for houseplants and a bird feeder, and my dad was going to cut it down she stood out in front of it and dared him to cut it.

It survived. Dad was really surprised. I wish my mom had been more like that. Her mother and grandmother was certainly not like that. Both raised their kids alone for at least part of childhood.

When my husband said he didn't want leftovers, I told him he could go out and get a burger. He did. My son and I had a perfectly pleasant dinner. I take after earlier generations.

Last edited by nightbird47; 11-22-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Again, those problems are not exclusive to the '50s. There was no decade in which everything was great or perfect.

Interesting how some people bash the '50s, but not the '40s, '30s, '20s and earlier decades.
But this is the thing. Alot of people bring up the 50s as being the greatest time. My own perspective of any time before 1970 is shaped by being Black. I look at the 50s based one what is best for me. If I was living in any time before 1970, my life would be much worse than it is now. The 1950s and before, those are not times I want to live in.

And as for television, I have watched Good Times. You have a nice God-fearing family, from the 1970s dealing with life in the projects. You have TV shows featuring people dedicated to God and Country. In the 1990s, it was 7th Heaven. You also had Touched By An Angel.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Of course it was a fake reality, MAD MEN is a better indicator of life in the 1950's... Too many ppl are stuck in their Mitch Miller/Lawrence Welk fantasyland.
I think that the folk music era followed it, which very much questioned the fifties mantra, is an indication that the questioning was still there, just hidden under a layer of fear. I've actually watched Lawerence Welk and its still boring (though I do appreciate the music) but would still love to Sing Along with Mitch again.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
How about 1955? That was a great year, wasn't it?

In the South, 8 African-Americans -- oh, I'm sorry... "coloreds" -- were lynched.

The poverty rate was over 22%.

And spousal rape was still legal. Oh, excuse me -- when a man held his wife down and forcibly penetrated her, legally it wasn't 'rape'. You see, he was just taking what was his marital right. And if she didn't like it? Well, too bad!

Oh, but it was the 1950s! I forgot! Even though spousal rape was legal, it didn't happen. Because like drug abuse and pre-marital sex, rape just hadn't been invented yet in the 1950s! And how do I know this? Well, duh... it's not in any Father Knows Best episodes, silly! And they're just like the 1950s, dontcha know...
What about polio? I was born in fifty two. It was the year with the highest amount of new cases of the entire epidemic. Kids today have no chance of a friend in Jr. Hi. who was still effected by it.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But this is the thing. Alot of people bring up the 50s as being the greatest time. My own perspective of any time before 1970 is shaped by being Black. I look at the 50s based one what is best for me. If I was living in any time before 1970, my life would be much worse than it is now. The 1950s and before, those are not times I want to live in.

And as for television, I have watched Good Times. You have a nice God-fearing family, from the 1970s dealing with life in the projects. You have TV shows featuring people dedicated to God and Country. In the 1990s, it was 7th Heaven. You also had Touched By An Angel.
For many people, the '50s were the greatest time for them. And for the country in many way... no huge national debt, no high unemployment, didn't owe China a lot of money, most Americans were patriotic, "God" was not a dirty word, you actually learned in school, etc.

By the 1970s, both the divorce rate and unwed mothers was up quite a bit.

Like I said, there is/was good and bad in every decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies