Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But in both 1896 and 1954, families usually stayed together. There was no sky-high divorce rate.
Because folks didn't want divorces or because the government didn't allow it?

Quote:
The country wasn't in mega-debt.
Because the presidents didn't grant irresponsible tax cuts and plunge us into idiotic middle east wars.

Quote:
There was no drug epidemic. No AIDS.
It was much better when millions died of influenza and pneumonia and the infant mortality rate was higher.

Every era has its issues. Some can adapt to progress, others stubbornly yearn for a return to a past they'll never see again.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Because folks didn't want divorces or because the government didn't allow it?
Because people were more likely to try and save a marriage. Now, they get a divorce at the drop of a hat.

Quote:
Because the presidents didn't grant irresponsible tax cuts and plunge us into idiotic middle east wars.
Tax cuts don't cause a debt; overspending does. The two wars you mentioned were approved by Congress; the president got Congressional approval.

Quote:
It was much better when millions died of influenza and pneumonia and the infant mortality rate was higher.
Neither is "better."

Quote:
Every era has its issues. Some can adapt to progress, others stubbornly yearn for a return to a past they'll never see again.
That is exactly my point. But some people are trying to paint a picture of the '50s being 90% "bad" and 10% "good."

Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Because in the 1950s, people who got divorced were made outcastes in society. It didn't matter that a wife was tired of her husband beating her or cheating on her. She put up with it because it was considered dishonorable to get a divorce. Nowadays, attitudes about divorce have changed. Women are less likely to put up with cheating husbands and violent husbands.
Women are less likely to put up with cheating husbands? Does Hillary Clinton know about this?

Quote:
There were still drugs available in the 1950s. And ask yourself this. How did the drugs get into this nation?
Ask yourself this... is drug use more common in the 1950s or now?

Quote:
There wasn't AIDS, but there were other venereal diseases, like syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, Hepatitis B.
Aren't those ailments still occurring?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Because people were more likely to try and save a marriage. Now, they get a divorce at the drop of a hat.
Because the laws changed and government no longer restricts it like in the past.

Quote:
Tax cuts don't cause a debt; overspending does. The two wars you mentioned were approved by Congress; the president got Congressional approval.
http://coloradoindependent.com/wp-co...t_June2010.jpg

Quote:
Neither is "better."

That is exactly my point. But some people are trying to paint a picture of the '50s being 90% "bad" and 10% "good."
The 50s was a great decade for America. Mostly because the rest of the industrialized world was digging out of the rubble of WWII and we had little competition.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Yes, that is another good point about WWII skoro.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Women are less likely to put up with cheating husbands? Does Hillary Clinton know about this?
That's Hillary Clinton. Most women I know today, if their husband or boyfriend cheated on them, they leave. Women are LESS LIKELY to put up with getting hit or getting cheated on.

Quote:
Ask yourself this... is drug use more common in the 1950s or now?
I don't know for sure. In the 1950s, alot of things were not talked about.

The History of Illegal Drugs in America | Informative Treatment Articles

Quote:
Aren't those ailments still occurring?
Yes, those things still happen today. Venereal diseases have existed for hundreds of years, and will continue to exist.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Yes and no.

Tax cuts mean less income for the state that should have been balanced by reduced spending. That's not what happened.

The wars should have been balanced by tax increases. That's not what happened.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Father Knows Best @ Thanksgiving - YouTube

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.
This just sounded fake. No offense but this obviously screams 1950s Disney show! It was kind of boring too, no explosions or giant robots...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
But in both 1896 and 1954, families usually stayed together. There was no sky-high divorce rate. The country wasn't in mega-debt. There was no drug epidemic. No AIDS.
But during both, the mantra was that women did as men expected. They had roles. If a woman didn't want to she could be one of the rare ones who succeeded, but with care. The way most looked upon it, men worked and women stayed home with the kids. And in both eras, there might be a lot of kids.

That is the most important part here, not the economy or drug situation. And while there wasn't AIDS, there were plenty of others. The difference is that women no longer are seen as having the domestic role. They can go forth and make a different life. For some men, I'm sure, this is problematical, as they were raised with the old manta. But its also about how women don't have to stay in abusive, or domineering/controlling situations either. I know marriages in the fifties were more likely intact. But I question how many would still have been if divorce was more acceptable, and if it was a toxic or long dead marriage, and they needed to go their own ways, they could. Today they can and do.

I don't think it does anyone good to stay in a union which is toxic or abusive or there is no longer anything there. Nor is it good for their children. Just because marriages remain, doesn't mean they should. Most people who should be together become best friends and that's what is the most staying glue. If that's missing and they are just roomates why NOT move on?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But during both, the mantra was that women did as men expected. They had roles. If a woman didn't want to she could be one of the rare ones who succeeded, but with care. The way most looked upon it, men worked and women stayed home with the kids. And in both eras, there might be a lot of kids.

That is the most important part here, not the economy or drug situation. And while there wasn't AIDS, there were plenty of others. The difference is that women no longer are seen as having the domestic role. They can go forth and make a different life. For some men, I'm sure, this is problematical, as they were raised with the old manta. But its also about how women don't have to stay in abusive, or domineering/controlling situations either. I know marriages in the fifties were more likely intact. But I question how many would still have been if divorce was more acceptable, and if it was a toxic or long dead marriage, and they needed to go their own ways, they could. Today they can and do.
My mom was working during much of the 1940s and 1950s. All of my 7 aunts also worked at one time or another. (They stopped working after they had children, but they had an easy time finding jobs and it was more common than many think.) Even my grandmother worked! During WWII, who do you think was working at the factories and other places while many of working age men were out of the country fighting that war? Women!

Quote:
I don't think it does anyone good to stay in a union which is toxic or abusive or there is no longer anything there. Nor is it good for their children. Just because marriages remain, doesn't mean they should. Most people who should be together become best friends and that's what is the most staying glue. If that's missing and they are just roomates why NOT move on?
Even today, many women stay in a bad marriage. Many times due to fear. It's not like that problem has vanished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies