Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Meh, Regardless of what anyone says men have always had it harder than women since the beginning of time But things are changing and have been changing over the last 50 years. Most women aren't wired to handle the every day expectations and stresses that society has always put upon men IMO. This is why there are so many more women that are both mentally and emotionally broken today as compared to previous generations. You can call it sexist if you wish to but at the end of the day women were meant to have low stress lives and take care of children. Women were never intended to be the hunters, the builders, the solders or the leaders
A relative of mine had five kids, close in age. Husband would come home to find the kids in their rooms or at friends houses and she would be crying, just stressed beyond limits. You actaully think raising small kids is low stress? Especially when one is supposed to keep the house and cook the meal on time and put up with garbage from men?

If we were hunter gatherers, men would hunt and drag the dinner back and then go celebrate. The women would cut the hide and process it so it was worth the bother. With children. But they also did the gathering of vegetables and fruits which made up a good chunk of the diet. Even then they had to manage multiple tasks. Women invented civilization.

And why should women not be the hunters, builders and soldiers and leaders if its in them and the men who don't have the stuff do the things that women who don't have the stuff do? Sex is no guarentee of intelligence, or stealth or leadership.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I don't believe in god, that's for the birds.
I believe in science, facts, data, evidence, etc .......and contrary to your belief women are in fact unhappier than they were 50 years ago.

everyone loves to hate on the big bad white man. I got news for you you ladies. If you think white guys were abusive and sexist in the 1950's then you should see what most minorities are like to their women in present day.........just saying

Why one in four women is on psych meds | Victoria Bekiempis | Society | guardian.co.uk

Why Women Are Not Happy- Wonderwoman is Tired | Karen McCullough
Men have always been abusive to women. Now, women are less likely to cave in about it. And a great multitude of men are taking psychmeds too. The problem is we are told we need to take the happy pill and it will be fine.

Back in the fifties massive amounts of women were on tranqualizers. If you knew someone who could buy them from a drugstore it didn't even have to be official. It was for weight loss but on a good enough dose of calm down pills, you didn't notice the things which could make you unhappy. Before that, patent medicines often contained things like cocaine and narcotics mixed with alchol, but were not booze since they were medicine. A great many women coped with patent medicines and had no idea what they were. Men drank. In the fifties men still drank but women also silently drank as well. Drugs, legal, and illegal were easy to find in the fifties and I'm sure more than one in four were taking a 'helper'. The difference is today pharma is the one pushing them.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
LOL, there were A LOT of "7 month pregnancies" and many extremely short "engagement periods" back in the 1950's. It amazing how quickly a marriage could occur to "save" a girls' reputation.
My grandparents were born in 1890. A saying my grandfather remembered was the first child could take five months, or nine... the rest took nine. Marrying because you got pregnant was common before the fifties and it was carefully *not* mentioned.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
h

YES, now it's lets attack religion all we want and try to get rid of it. In the 50s it would have been a non issue. Now religions are being FORCED to accept a secular society and religious people better just sit down and shut up, how fair is that?
Absolutely. Nobody is telling them how to act in their own personal lives. But they don't get to tell others. It's not a question of religions being forced to accept the diversity of society but that society does not belong to them. Each of us is free to make our own decisions, but we don't get to make them for everyone else.

Back then, how would it go if I said I was Wiccan, for instance?

There were places it would not even have been legal. How's that for freedom of religion?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about intelligence but since you brought it up here are the facts. Statistically there are more really stupid men then there are really stupid women but there are also 2-3 times more extremely intelligent men than there are extremely intelligent women.

Conclusion.....pretty much everything in the history of the earth that's amazing was thought up by some really smart guy but the bulk of low IQ criminals that flood are prison systems are men as well.

When I say mentally weaker what I'm talking about is nerves and emotional stability. Some women are tough as nails but let's face it most women are made of glass. As stated before as a collective whole women were never intended to be able to handle the stresses and competitive nature of the society that we live in.

As far as my wife/ex goes, she is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. She worked extreme hours at a very stressful accounting job and snapped a 32 years old. She Started taking meds that killed our sex life and became almost impossible to be around the last few years we where together. she wanted to be a career woman with no kids so now she's an absolutely miserable career woman with no kids that"s too old to take it back now.
Women also think in different ways than men, and tend to be good at different kinds of tasks. Women tend to be more intuitive and tests tend not to show that. Some men are more intutive and some women more analitical but the way you 'test' and give a number makes a difference.

And if woman are made of glass, how did those women who crossed the plains hold things together when they were asked to do everything and men seldom did any of it? How did women historically hold together the family by doing whatever it took, including 'men's work' without the credit? Women HAVE to be emotionally tough or they'd never have seen their kids grow up. Maybe the stresses are different now, but the toughness is the same. And some men are not built to handle the stresses we have today either. They take AD's too...

It sounds like the ex had a goal you didn't subscribe to. That's hardly a good situation to make a relationship last. If she was supposed to be the 'wife' too, and her goals dismissed, then its hardly even a partership. Maybe that's why so many marriages fail. But I say good for those who persue what they want anyway. I'm pretty sure my mom would not have been so depressed if she'd persued her carrear since she had so much more she never got to give.

What if a man was told that the 'rule' was a man stood back and played the 'wife' role and he couldn't have his carrear, how would that feel?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, let's see, in the 50s, non-religious people were forced to accept a religious society and they better just sat down and shut up, how fair was that??
In the 50s the non-believers were very few. Most people went to church and were religious. Now that is falling off with the secular society moving in but I bet the atheist now would have been religious then. It's just "cool" now to be a non-believer. Atheists are actively working to recruit people and our schools are helping with banning the word God from the premises.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times

I can't believe we made it - YouTube

Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
h

YES, now it's lets attack religion all we want and try to get rid of it. In the 50s it would have been a non issue. Now religions are being FORCED to accept a secular society and religious people better just sit down and shut up, how fair is that?
It's totally fair.

The standard of society should be that religion is optional. If you want to practice religion, then do so on your own time as a private citizen. If you don't want to practice religion, then don't. You should not face any discrimination for it. Some of the worst societies in the world are the ones where they force religion upon you like a vise.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Meh, Regardless of what anyone says men have always had it harder than women since the beginning of time But things are changing and have been changing over the last 50 years. Most women aren't wired to handle the every day expectations and stresses that society has always put upon men IMO. This is why there are so many more women that are both mentally and emotionally broken today as compared to previous generations. You can call it sexist if you wish to but at the end of the day women were meant to have low stress lives and take care of children. Women were never intended to be the hunters, the builders, the solders or the leaders
Aside from being sexist, you're just flat-out wrong.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This thread is about a comparison with 1954 so of course people will be talking about the fifties.
In many instances what applies to the '50s also applies to other decades. I haven't seen anyone say, "It was even worse in the '40s." Or, "It got worse in the '60s and '70s."

Quote:
But since on the surface things looked so good (well, except for polio and hunting those reds and the bomb) its often held up as 'better' when so much was swept under the rug.
And those things were as common as now. In addition to fatherless children/unwed mothers and AIDS.

Quote:
It's been pointed out that men beat their wives with general immunity and the drug problem then was booze. It was even funny. Would Dean Martin's drunk act be so funny now?
People find Barney Gumble from "The Simpsons" funny.

Quote:
I don't consider men not swearing in front of women nearly as important as when nobody was around they could deal with life's frustration on their wives. Swearing is just words. It was superficial order but under that it was not at all the great paradise it is held up to be.
Swearing is not "just words." That's the problem; it's accepted today. Even expected. It's rude and vulgar. Swearing was just one example I used. Another, on a similar subject, would be comedians on TV. The ones in the '50s did not use the words many use today. Or subject matter.

Quote:
Also remember this is largely the memories of children. Would adults of that time have the same to say necessarily? People had lived through a depression and a horrendous war and now had a relatively peaceful life so anything would have seemed less a problem. And they really wanted to give their kids what they didn't have, so most middle class kids grew up in a gently wrapped in cotton world.
That is kind of the point. One reasons why the '50s was among the best decades for the U.S. WWII ended and the country was prosperous. A good variety of music and cars, too.

Quote:
It's not because it was a conservative decade, but because it was one with so much swept under a door which nobody wanted to open. No it wasn't horrible for everyone, but if it was for you nobody wanted to know. That's where the rub comes in.
It definitely was a more conservative decade compared to now. A few examples: Christmas trees were called "Christmas trees," not "holiday trees." Christmas vacation was not called "Winter Break." And it was okay to say the word "God." And no way would the citizens of any state vote to make marijuana legal.

I asked one of my Aunts again what her favorite decade was (she was born in 1932). She said the '50s "without a doubt. I don't think there's any question." She has no reason to be biased because she tells it like it is. If she didn't like the '50s, or liked the '40s, '60s or some other decade more, she would have told me that.

The first thing she mentioned was TV shows. Then movies. Have you seen the previews of some modern "comedy" movies? Terrible!

She mentioned prosperity and said there was no trouble finding work. I remember my mom once being laid off from a job. She went to a movie that same afternoon and found another job the next day. Try doing that now!

My Aunt also mentioned the low crime rate. She has lived in the same house since 1956. Back then, it was actually a good area; a low crime rate. Completely different now... it's anything BUT a low crime rate!

She mentioned there were nice shops and stores on Van Nuys blvd in the '50s. Again, vastly different now and half the signs are in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies