Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Or staying at home and raising kids as opposed to working 60 hours a week at demanding job while being an emotional wreck on Antidepressants and wondering when mister right is going to come around help raise her kids.....

I'm not saying that some women didn't have it bad back then but a lot of women have it just as bad now but in a different way.
Maybe the issue is society's expectations of men and women vs. women themselves.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Yeah, men would never wear tee shirts and jeans in the 1950's

Maybe your three martini suit and tie crowd wasn't wearing tee shirts and jeans, but you'd be wrong if you think the baby boomers were following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Like I've said before, the reason why some people single out the '50s to bash is because it was a generally conservative decade.

The people I've asked about the '50s were at least 20 years old in 1950.

Morals meaning no widespread drug use or large amounts of unwed mothers. When people when out, they dressed up; you would almost never see anyone in a restaurant wearing jeans and a T-shirt! Men swearing in the presence of a woman was frowned upon.

The 9/11 attacks not only affected people but the country because many jobs were lost due to those attacks.
FYI, the KNOWN teen pregnancy rate was 3 times as high in the 1950's, but coat hanger, falling down the steps and back alley abortions were holding those numbers down.

RealChoice: Abortion deaths in the 1950's

Quote:
But unmarried teen pregnancy is much, much higher today than it was in the '50s.

Nothing wrong with married teens who are pregnant. Also, in the '50s, men and women started families at an earlier age than they do now.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Like I've said before, the reason why some people single out the '50s to bash is because it was a generally conservative decade.

The people I've asked about the '50s were at least 20 years old in 1950.

Morals meaning no widespread drug use or large amounts of unwed mothers. When people when out, they dressed up; you would almost never see anyone in a restaurant wearing jeans and a T-shirt! Men swearing in the presence of a woman was frowned upon.

The 9/11 attacks not only affected people but the country because many jobs were lost due to those attacks.
You have things backwards, nobody is "bashing" the 1950's, speaking for myself, I have been myth busting this BS that things were wonderful in the 1950's. You are trying to support this false reality that "Father Knows Best" is an accurate depiction of life in the 1950's. It wasn't. It might have been the ideal some strived for but few ppl were actually living that life. Many of these 1950's shows were styled after the new suburbia of the time, but the Levittowns of America were not representive of how most ppl lived. FYI, in the 50's 60,000 ppl lived in levittown, 60,000 whites and zero blacks.

In NY a woman could get a divorce for spousal abuse but she needed evidence that there were enuf beatings to show a pattern. A battered wife probably had to prove it was a "legitimate beating", too. Again, in NY spousal abuse wasn't even a criminal offense, cases were handle in civil court.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
That comment puzzles me. Are the decades prior to the 1950s perceived as liberal decades????

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not really.

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/r..._1940-2006.pdf
From 1940 to 1957, the teen birth rate increased 78 percent to a record high.
My original post:

Quote:
I think rampant is much too strong a word. I suspect a higher percentage of teenagers avoided sex than now, partly because of strong social disapproval, but partly too because they were afraid of getting pregnant. The teenager in the 1950s was less likely to have family support if she chose to keep the child because of the social stigma not only for the mother but for the "bastard" as well. Often the child ended up given up for adoption. However, there were not enough people wanting to adopt so often the child grew up in institutions or foster homes. That's the ugly side of "family values".
was rebutting the comment that underage sex was rampant in the 1950s. My response was focused on teenage unwed mothers. I would hate for my response to be misconstrued though. So, to clarify:

No, I certainly do NOT believe there was strong social disapproval of sex between married teenagers. No there was no stigma for a married teenager having a child and no, children of married mothers were not called bastards. No, the children of married teenagers did not often end up for adoption.

It was my impression that in the 1950s different states had different laws with respect the the minimum age allowed for marriage. I could be wrong about that though.

Last edited by cdnirene; 11-29-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Oh no, religion isn't under attack at all these days. Roll eyes. You just proved it is. This would have never been said in the 50s at least not in polite company. Most people were practicing Christians and let it be known to any and all who asked them. The show by a Bishop was in the top ten for crying out loud. Bishop Sheen's show, "Life is Worth Living." Millions of Americans sat down each week to listen to a religious show, not a "New Normal" show that stereotypes and puts down religion.

I only posted the "Father Knows Best" show since it showed a family praying together and wanting to be together at the meal during, Thanksgiving. I also think they showed praying before meals in the episodes. No whining or bickering from anyone about the show then.
So the fact that I wouldn't have been free to express my opinions in the 1950s is a sign that religion is under attack?

You are perfectly free to practice your silly superstitions in your churches and in your home, NOBODY is imposing on those freedoms, no matter how much your deluded mind wants to think.

Actually, that episode of "New Normal" did the exact opposite in that episode. It said "despite the negative stereotypes about Catholicism's acceptance of homosexuality, it's still perfectly fine for a homosexual man to be a Catholic and to accept God into his life".
7th Heaven was about a freaking Preacher's family. They prayed all the time.
Friday Night Lights is about football, yet prayer is a major feature of the show.
The Sopranos was a show about the Mafia and even that had a major focus on prayer, church and confession. Entire episodes revolved around the faith of the characters.

Again, you show massive ignorance due to your insistence that Religion is under attack (actually, not religion, but Christianity) even though there is clearly no evidence whatsoever to support it.

So seriously, get over it. Prayer is perfectly fine for Americans. FORCED Prayer is not. That's what's being fought these days, the moments where kids are outcast because they are being forced to pray in a PUBLIC place.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You think it's better now? I think women are treated worse now, but that is my opinion.
Your completely baseless opinion.

Men are far more docile with women now. Men defer to whatever a woman wants. Men stand around holding their purses while they shop. Men carry their groceries (instead of the clerks). Men do far more of the housework now than ever before. Men do much more caring for the children than ever before.

Your rose-colored view of the 1950s is laughable.
Not even "I Love Lucy" was that peachy-keen. Lucy got drunk during the day, got hit by Ricky and regularly struggled with her role as a doting housewife.

Quote:
But unmarried teen pregnancy is much, much higher today than it was in the '50s.

Nothing wrong with married teens who are pregnant. Also, in the '50s, men and women started families at an earlier age than they do now.
Why is nothing wrong with married teens being pregnant?
They are far too young to be parents as teenagers and obviously too young for marriage too.
Have you met a teenaged girl? They're clearly not mature enough to make a decision that will affect the rest of their life...

HS Girls should not be getting pregnant or married. They should be getting an education and figuring out who they are and what they will do with their lives. Unlike you, I think women have value outside of being baby factories to serve men as their slaves.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
I think she is laughing because those "facts" are blown out of proportion.
Out of proportion? If I lived in 1950, life wouldn't be good for me. Given the restrictions on Blacks in those days, not good at all.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe the issue is society's expectations of men and women vs. women themselves.
Meh, Regardless of what anyone says men have always had it harder than women since the beginning of time But things are changing and have been changing over the last 50 years. Most women aren't wired to handle the every day expectations and stresses that society has always put upon men IMO. This is why there are so many more women that are both mentally and emotionally broken today as compared to previous generations. You can call it sexist if you wish to but at the end of the day women were meant to have low stress lives and take care of children. Women were never intended to be the hunters, the builders, the solders or the leaders

Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Meh, Regardless of what anyone says men have always had it harder than women since the beginning of time But things are changing and have been changing over the last 50 years. Most women aren't wired to handle the every day expectations and stresses that society has always put upon men IMO. This is why there are so many more women that are both mentally and emotionally broken today as compared to previous generations. You can call it sexist if you wish to but at the end of the day women were meant to have low stress lives and take care of children. Women were never intended to be the hunters, the builders, the solders or the leaders
I disagree with some of this. I think it is more that women over time are expecting more from themselves. They have demanded more over time. Alot of women want more than to just take care of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies