Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That was one of many intepretations of what it means. I was looking for the tea party tea shirt that read: "LETS KEEP THE WHITEHOUSE WHITE LETS TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY!"
that's a direct quote. who are you quoting?

link pls.

oh, and here's a t-shirt and bumper sticker combo to keep in mind while you google:

Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Leave it to Beaver and Father knows best didn't exist in reality.
Give me the honeymooners and the three stooges, TV to last the ages.
It wasn't reality because it was a TV show. But life was like that to great degree. I know because I was a kid back then. There were still neigborhoods that were real neighborhoods where the mothers met everyday at someones house to talk over coffee and the dads worked 9 to 5 and there was an innocence about the world that doesn't exist today. There was never any creeps preying upon children in the town where I grew up. I remember that there were times when a stranger adult would come up to me and give me money for ice cream. It wasn't unusual and wouldn't draw any attention back then. People didn't have to worry about their kids like they do now. And the media was clean and family orientated. There were no rating systems for movies or TV back then. But that couldn't last because the marxist were pushing hard to get into positions where they could change all that and they did succeed in changing things. How they were able to get in and do their dirt is another story altogether. So yes it was like that, somewhat back in those days.

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
none of this 'basically' bullcrap. show me.

to review, here's the question i posed:

absolutely NOTHING that happened four years post-obama-take-back-america speech had anything whatsoever to do with keeping women and.or minorities silent and letting white males do whatever they wanted without being challenged or questioned.
n.o.t.h.i.n.g.

What part of some people (teabaggers in particular) are screaming that they want to "take back our country" that you don't understand? Not realizing that they never say from what or to where. This saying myseriously started appearing the same time as people started looking at the 50's as being good times. the point of this whole thread is to show these people that the 50's was not a good time for everyone, unless you were a white male. Now you are intelligent enough to figure out the connection to the president can't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I remember seeing that shirt. One reason I have never wanted to join the Tea Party.
was this one of your reasons for not joining the democratic party? because someone make a bumper sticker?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM

[quote=uggabugga;27068158]that's a direct quote. who are you quoting?

link pls.

oh, and here's a t-shirt and bumper sticker combo to keep in mind while you google:

<yawn> It was a sign at a teaparty rally

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Facts are facts, and you're wrong. there are twice as many ppl in America today and a 24/7/365 media that makes its living sensationalizing everything.

In the 1950's there was no ban on kids carrying a gun into a school, there were no metal detectors to keep them out, and back then the media was very local. Today something happens a thousand miles away and we hear about within minutes.

From my earlier wiki citation.

March 11, 1949: New York City A 16-year-old student at Stuyvesant High School was accidentally shot in the arm by a fellow student who was ‘showing off’ with a pistol in a classroom.

November 13, 1949: Columbus, Ohio, Ohio State University freshman James Heer grabbed a .45 caliber handgun from the room of a Delta Tau Delta fraternity brother and shot and killed his fraternity brother Jack McKeown, 21, an Ohio State senior.

April 25, 1950: Peru, Nebraska Dr. William Nicholas, 48, president of Peru State College and Dr. Paul Maxwell, 56, education department head, were shot to death at their desks by Dr. Barney Baker, 54-year-old psychology professor. Baker was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot at his home on campus.

July 22, 1950: New York City, New York A 16-year-old boy was shot in the wrist and abdomen at the Public School 141 dance… during an argument with a former classmate.

March 12, 1951: Union Mills, North Carolina Professor W. E. Sweatt, superintendent and teacher at the Alexander school, was shot to death by students Billy Ray Powell, 16, and Hugh Justice, 19. The assailants had been reprimanded by Sweatt, and they waited for the him as he locked his office door.

June 4, 1951: New York City, New York Carl Arch, a 50-year-old intruder to a girl's gym class, was shot and killed by a police officer, at Manhattan's Central Commercial High School.

November 27, 1951: New York City, New York David Brooks, a 15-year-old student, was fatally shot as fellow-pupils looked on in a grade school.

April 9, 1952: New York City, New York A 15-year-old boarding-school student shot a dean rather than relinquish pin-up pictures of girls in bathing suits.

July 14, 1952: New York City, New York Bayard Peakes walked in to the offices of the American Physical Society at Columbia University and shot and killed secretary Eileen Fahey with a .22 caliber pistol. Peakes was reportedly upset that the APS had rejected a pamphlet he had written.

September 3, 1952: in Lawrenceville, Illinois After 25-year-old Georgine Lyon ended her engagement with Charles Petrach, Petrach shot and killed Lyon in a classroom at Lawrenceville High School where she worked as a librarian.

November 20, 1952: New York City, New York “Rear Admiral E. E. Herrmann, 56 years old, superintendent of the Naval Postgraduate School, was found dead in his office with a bullet in his head. A service revolver was found by his side.

October 2, 1953: Chicago, Illinois 14-year-old Patrick Colletta was shot to death by 14-year-old Bernice Turner in a classroom of Kelly High School in Chicago. It was reported that after Turner refused to date Colletta he handed her the gun and dared her to pull the trigger, telling her that the gun was “only a toy.” A coroner’s jury later ruled that the shooting was an accident.

October 8, 1953: New York City, New York Larry Licitra, 17-year-old student at the Machine and Metal Trades High School, was shot and slightly wounded in the right shoulder in the lobby of the school while inspecting a handmade pistol owned by one of several students.

May 15, 1954: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Putnam Davis Jr. was shot and killed during a fraternity house carnival at the Phi Delta Theta house at the University of North Carolina. William Joyner and Allen Long were shot and wounded during the exchange of gunfire in their fraternity bedroom. The incident took place after an all-night beer party. Mr. Long reported to the police that, while the three were drinking beer at 7 a.m., Davis pulled out a gun and started shooting with a gun he had obtained from the car of a former roommate.

January 11, 1955: Swarthmore, Pennsylvania After some of his dorm mates urinated on his mattress Bob Bechtel, a 20-year-old student at Swarthmore College, returned to his dorm with a shotgun and used it to shoot and kill fellow student Holmes Strozier.

May 4, 1956: in Prince George's County, Maryland, 15-year-old student Billy Prevatte fatally shot one teacher and injured two others at Maryland Park Junior High School in Prince George's County after he had been reprimanded from the school.

October 20, 1956: New York City, New York A junior high school student was wounded in the forearm yesterday by another student armed with a home-made weapon at Booker T. Washington Junior High School.

October 2, 1957: New York City, New York “A 16-year old student was shot in the leg yesterday by a 15-year old classmate at a city high school.”

March 4, 1958: New York City, New York “A 17-year-old student shot a boy in the Manual Training High School.”

May 1, 1958: Massapequa, New York A 15-year-old high school freshman was shot and killed by a classmate in a washroom of the Massapequa High School.

September 24, 1959: New York City, New York Twenty-seven men and boys and an arsenal were seized in the Bronx as the police headed off a gang war resulting from the fatal shooting of a teenager Monday at Morris High School.

Of course, with the state of the media back then there probably were more that weren't reported or not reported national.
Do you know the difference between an accident and a planned shooting (like at Columbine in Colorado)? Some of the examples you posted were clearly accidental shootings.

And (again) do you really think it's not more common now? Also, notice there was only one listed for 1955 and one for 1959. As I said, it was uncommon back then.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM

[quote=uggabugga;27068170]was this one of your reasons for not joining the democratic party? because someone make a bumper sticker?

I guess that you are another one that feels blacks can be insulted and recruited at the same time by the same organization

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
It wasn't reality because it was a TV show. But life was like that to great degree. I know because I was a kid back then. There were still neigborhoods that were real neighborhoods where the mothers met everyday at someones house to talk over coffee and the dads worked 9 to 5 and there was an innocence about the world that doesn't exist today. There was never any creeps preying upon children in the town where I grew up. I remember that there were times when a stranger adult would come up to me and give me money for ice cream. It wasn't unusual and wouldn't draw any attention back then. People didn't have to worry about their kids like they do now. And the media was clean and family orientated. There were no rating systems for movies or TV back then. But that couldn't last because the marxist were pushing hard to get into positions where they could change all that and they did succeed in changing things. How they were able to get in and do their dirt is another story altogether. So yes it was like that, somewhat back in those days.
Not everyone got to share in that innocence. In fact, for alot of people, life was hard. If you page through this thread, you will figure that out.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
I guess that you are another one that feels blacks can be insulted and recruited at the same time by the same organization
It doesn't surprise me, but it boggles my mind why one can make a bumper sticker like that and not expect Black people to be upset. I guess it's the 50s mindset.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What part of some people (teabaggers in particular) are screaming that they want to "take back our country" that you don't understand?
well, for beginners - the part where they were 'screaming'. was obama 'screaming'?
also, the part where obama was fine, yet the tea party were racist hatemongers for saying the same thing.
do tell.

Quote:
Not realizing that they never say from what or to where.
i didn't hear obama say address that either. he gets a break?

Quote:
This saying myseriously started appearing the same time as people started looking at the 50's as being good times.
total BS. people have been extolling the virtues of the 50s since at least the 70s. haven't you ever seen Happy Days by ron howard?

Quote:
the point of this whole thread is to show these people that the 50's was not a good time for everyone, unless you were a white male.
of course the 50's were not a good time for everyone, including white males. nor are/were the 20-teens a good time for everyone, not excluding white males. that was not the OP's point at all.

Quote:
Now you are intelligent enough to figure out the connection to the president can't you?
ooh ooh, i know!

RAAAACISM!!!!!!!!!!!!

what did i win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies