Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if you really think that's why most people look back fondly on the 50s as a good era, i feel sorry for you.

why the need to feel the eternal victim? i just don't get it.
I'm not trying to play "victim". I'm giving you facts. In 1950, I, an African-American, would have lived a much harder life than I have now. I live in Georgia and I voted this past election. In 1950, that would not have been possible.

I think alot of people don't consider that minorities had it really hard in the 1950s. I don't see any Black people or Hispanic people wishing for the 1950s.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, back then ('40s/'50s) were a "super-dangerous" time for children in school.

Top 10 School Problems:

---- 1943--------------------------------- 1993
1.-- Chewing gum------------------------- Student suicide
2.-- Making noise-------------------------- Assaults
3.-- Running in the halls------------------- Robbery
4.-- Cutting in line------------------------ Rape
5.-- Students talking when they shouldn't-- Possession of guns, knives & other weapons
6.-- Dress-code infraction----------------- Drug abuse
7.-- Littering----------------------------- Alcoholism
8.-- Tardiness---------------------------- Pregnancy
9.-- Lost homework----------------------- Sexual harassment
10.- Talking back to teachers------------- AIDS

List by education professor William Kilpatrick, author of "Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong," article from Sept.7, 1993.
My father went to inner city schools in the 1960s. It wasn't the 1950s. However, when he was in school, there were so many fights in school. You could get beaten up on the way to school because he lived in a rough neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That was one of many intepretations of what it means. I was looking for the tea party tea shirt that read: "LETS KEEP THE WHITEHOUSE WHITE LETS TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY!"
You mean this t-shirt?

Daily Kos: "Put the White back in the White House"

Windermere Roadies • View topic - The White House isn't White enough

Racist enough for you?

Quote:
On Tuesday, The Huffington Post reported that "a spate of symbolic protests against [the president] that have featured empty chairs and racist imagery continued this week in California, with an arrangement featuring a noose, watermelons and a birther sign."

"Go back to Kenya you idiot," read the sign that was reportedly set up along a remote road in Santa Clara County, Calif.

And last month, an Obama supporter in Texas said her Obama/Biden yard sign had been vandalized with the words "N*GGER LOVER -- Obama Sucks D*ck!"

"We have at least 4 African American families living on this street. I’m so offended," said the woman in the wake of the vandalism. "Not just because whoever did this is ignorant and misinformed and trespassed and vandalized my sign, but infinitely more for my neighbors who might have driven by and seen it.”

Correction: The anti-Obama birther sign was set up along a remote road in Morgan Hill, Santa Clara County, Calif., not Santa Clara.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Or some people wish people like me and you were that stupid. That bumper sticker isn't the only tasteless bumper sticker. I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker that said "take the monkey out of the White House and send him back to Africa". Another bumper sticker on the same truck said "A village in Kenya is missing its idiot". Alot of tasteless behavior.
agreed, those are tasteless.

do you agree that all the anti-bush 'a village is missing its idiot' stickers that i saw a few short years back were tasteless?

furthermore, since a white president was involved - do you consider those stickers 'racist'?

or does that only come into play if the president is black?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
It’s not politically correct to have any pleasant memories of the good times from the ‘50’s because that era is so different and un-PC from the way things are now. The entire era back then must be demonized and vilified and anything decent or wholesome from the ‘50’s is to be ridiculed and defiled.

Last edited by JobZombie; 11-23-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to play "victim". I'm giving you facts. In 1950, I, an African-American, would have lived a much harder life than I have now. I live in Georgia and I voted this past election. In 1950, that would not have been possible.

I think alot of people don't consider that minorities had it really hard in the 1950s. I don't see any Black people or Hispanic people wishing for the 1950s.
okay, duly noted. i do understand why minorities don't look fondly upon the 50s, they have no good reason to.

i just think they totally mischaracterize the intentions of those who do think that was a good era: simetime expecially, and you to a lesser extent, seem to think that the only reason anyone would look favorably on that time period was because they hate minorities.

ludicrous victimization mindset.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
agreed, those are tasteless.

do you agree that all the anti-bush 'a village is missing its idiot' stickers that i saw a few short years back were tasteless?

furthermore, since a white president was involved - do you consider those stickers 'racist'?

or does that only come into play if the president is black?
I never saw the "a village is missing its idiot" stickers. There is a difference between saying "a village is missing its idiot" and "a village in Kenya is missing its idiot". Big difference. The latter one is making an assumption about President Obama being from Kenya even though he was born on U.S. soil. Calling the President an idiot is one thing. Making a shot at his ancestry or making fallacious comments about his birth is another matter. Why else would a bumper sticker claim he was from Kenya even though he was born in the USA?

Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
It’s not politically correct to have pleasant memories of the good times from the ‘50’s because that era is so different and un-PC from the way things are now. The entire era back then must be demonized and vilified and anything decent or wholesome from the ‘50’s is to be ridiculed and defiled.
It is vilified by people who were victimized in that era.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
okay, duly noted. i do understand why minorities don't look fondly upon the 50s, they have no good reason to.

i just think they totally mischaracterize the intentions of those who do think that was a good era: simetime expecially, and you to a lesser extent, seem to think that the only reason anyone would look favorably on that time period was because they hate minorities.

ludicrous victimization mindset.
We agree on something. Minorities don't look fondly on the 50s.

I react as I do when I see a post about the 50s because the older I get, and the more I know, the more cynical and less patient I am. All I can think about it what was done to people of my ethnicity during that time.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
It is vilified by people who were victimized in that era.
People are victimized in every era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies