Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LstSumpter View Post
So you basically took a thoughtful, factual post and decided to ignorantly morph it into some rant about the President??..

So please list the inaccuracies of her post, was there not rampant racism, sexism, alcoholism, spousal battery???...sorry if reality is such a sore spot for you.
I thought Simetime's post was spot-on,too. Then, in a thread about a 50s TV show, we get a diatribe targeting the current president. Right pew, wrong church. And the beat goes on.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Yup: LIBERAL ---
    1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    4. [SIZE=-1]Liberal[/SIZE] Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
Get it, now?
Isn't it the liberals who run around calling those who oppose homosexual "marriage" "homophobes?" How broad-minded of them!

Also, if you think they are so open-minded, read some of their comments on any thread about Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, G.W. Bush or Dick Cheney.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Well to hear it from no you it sounds like NO ERA in American history has been any good.

1950s = RACISM, SEXISM, WIFE-BEATING, OTHER STUFF I LEARNED FROM WATCHING PLEASANTVILLE

Today = RACISM, LOW-INFORMATION PEOPLE, GREEDY PEOPLE

Pre-1950s(?) = HORRIFIC RACIST WHITE GUYS IN WIGS, CAVEMEN DRAGGING WOMEN BY THE HAIR

So since America has always sucked, and since there's nothing in our dark, horrible past worth preserving we must blindly stumble behind our beautiful black movie-star President to wherever he leads us. Because no matter what happens in the future at least if you voted for Obama they can't call you a racist.
Awww, quit your whinning and face up to the facts, there have been good times in this country (depending on who and what you are) and there have been alot of bad times under the same pretenses. Why do you get so bent out of shape whenever racism is mentioned? It has existed in this country ever since the spanish arrived on this continent, how many Aztecs do you know? It existed through the expanision towards the west, how many native tribes were wiped out in the process? But it is a good thing that the Chinese had the numbers when they were working on the railroads because they would have gotten wiped out as well. I won't even mention anything about what blacks in this country had to go through (and are still going through). Because ignoramuses like yourself choose to ignore the probelm but complain whenever someone else mentions them.

Rather you like or not, this country is founded on racism and violence and pretending like it does not exist will not solve anything. Then again you may feel that way because nothing bad happened in your little crawspace of the world and that everyone else's issues are not that important, sorry life does not work that way so I suggest that you get over it.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Isn't it the liberals who run around calling those who oppose homosexual "marriage" "homophobes?" How broad-minded of them!

Also, if you think they are so open-minded, read some of their comments on any thread about Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, G.W. Bush or Dick Cheney.
You do know the definition of phobia don't you? And why do think someone that is "tolerant" of other people accept the views of those that are intolerant?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You should put it on your desktop so you wouldn't have to wait for others to keep reposting it for your viewing pleasure. I, and others, have mentioned more modern shows that do what you want to see. THAT is why this thread should be over, not because you struck an imaginary nerve. Plus it's light and fluffy so people can post without having to think too much. That's my excuse anyway.
I agree I don't know why this thread keeps going and going either.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
You do know the definition of phobia don't you? And why do think someone that is "tolerant" of other people accept the views of those that are intolerant?
Yes, I know the definition of phobia. That's why it's silly when liberals running around yelling "homophobia" at everyone who supports traditional marriage.

That's the point; many liberals who claim to be tolerant are just the opposite.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it bothers the OP that some people may not WANT to be wholesome...as if being wholesome is the only way to be a decent person or the only way to raise a good family.

My family is far from what most people would think is wholesome..we're tattooed, loud, like to use 'sentence enhancers'..and yet my parents have been together since Jr. High, we have no criminal records at all, my siblings and I have multiple degrees under our belts and we're all pretty darn good people if I do say so myself. There is no way I'd want to be a part of a 'wholesome' family like the one's on Leave it to Beaver. Boooooring.

I'll take my crazy, loving, amazing family any day.
Great, but people are different and what is boring to you might be happy for someone else. So what's wrong with a little of something for everyone. Right now it's cool to hate on "boring" conservative or moderate families, especially white ones. That's not moving forward in society.

It's ridiculous to have to include every race and sexuality in a tv show to make it pc enough to be acceptable because everyone is so worried about being labeled a whatever-a-phobe.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Great, but people are different and what is boring to you might be happy for someone else. So what's wrong with a little of something for everyone. Right now it's cool to hate on "boring" conservative or moderate families, especially white ones. That's not moving forward in society.

It's ridiculous to have to include every race and sexuality in a tv show to make it pc enough to be acceptable because everyone is so worried about being labeled a whatever-a-phobe.
But you have to think about why they excluded other groups from television shows and it had nothing to do with being PC and more to do with racism. How can it be that blacks were in this country as long as most whites ethnicities but yet at that time were rarely seen on television? The few times that they were, they starred in subservant roles as housekeepers, mammies, busboys ect. Later on they were depicted as murderers and drug dealers. This was considered as socialized conditioning

Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I never heard of black gangs back then, they were in the big cities though but no trouble in small cities. I think things went downhill when the drugs came to small cities, plus the so called WAR ON POVERTY told the black men they were no longer useful and they needed to leave the home so his family could collect welfare.

That broke families apart and I don't think they ever got back together. Now we have more single black mothers than married. No one can say that is better now than it was in the 50s.
Agreed and I'm a black man, that and the feminist view black women throughly embraced in the 70s were the downfall. It's still some wholesome people out there but culturally we've gone to crap. Even the good women have to play a rough dating game in order to win.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Father Knows Best @ Thanksgiving - YouTube

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.
How can you love God AND Money???

America needs to choose. Maybe you need to as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies