Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 AM

724 posts, read 593,785 times

Advertisements

A great book I read by Finke & Stark called, "The churching of America," kind of debunks the myth that everyone used to be so much more religious at the country's founding. Religious adherence, aka church attendance, was at about 17% in 1776, and in 2000 it was at 62%.

http://madeinamericathebook.files.wo...8599725738.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,609,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
A great book I read by Finke & Stark called, "The churching of America," kind of debunks the myth that everyone used to be so much more religious at the country's founding. Religious adherence, aka church attendance, was at about 17% in 1776, and in 2000 it was at 62%.

How easy was it for colonial pioneers in a rural, agrarian society to attend church?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
How easy was it for colonial pioneers in a rural, agrarian society to attend church?
yeah, Back then they believed in witches and demons and stuff. WE've come a long way since
Republican congressman Paul Broun dismisses evolution and other theories | World news | guardian.co.uk

oh...crap.

In the clip, Broun, who is a doctor, says that "as a scientist" he has found data that shows the earth is no older than 9,000 years and was created in six days. Mainstream scientific thought holds that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, give or take the odd millennia.

This man... helps make our laws. This man... thinks dinosaurs lvied less than 9,000 years ago.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times
Quote:
Religious adherence, aka church attendance, was at about 17% in 1776, and in 2000 it was at 62%.
I'd be glad to know what documentary sources the authors used to establish rates of church attendance in 1776. More reliable would be documentary evidence from a less disturbed year or period, say 1763-73?

AFAIK, there is no direct documentary evidence of church attendance in the late-colonial era which is generalizable across British North America. Some of the Congregational churches in New England may have kept Sunday attendance records, but the evidence would likely be spotty and then only apply to that region. One could examine tithe and glebe records in those provinces with an established church - though of course that's only indirect evidence of actual attendance, it leaves out non-conformers, and it wouldn't tell you much about colonies like Pennsylvania which had no established church. Testamentary documents likewise might give you some sense for church affiliation, though again with some significant methodological and interpretive problems. I have doubts about that statistic, particularly if they mean that one specific year, but even if it could be established, attendance isn't the same as religiosity. I suspect it's impossible to establish religiosity in the late-colonial era in a quantifiable sense - it has to be done qualitatively, if at all.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:

How many Churches were around in 1776? I know there were probably some in the city but what about rural areas? If you lived in rural country in 1776, you probably didn't attend church on Sunday because there was NO CHURCH close by to attend. That doesn't mean you didn't have Sunday worship at home.. I wonder how many folks in 1776 either attended church or worshiped at home on Sunday compared to today..

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
How many Churches were around in 1776? I know there were probably some in the city but what about rural areas? If you lived in rural country in 1776, you probably didn't attend church on Sunday because there was NO CHURCH close by to attend. That doesn't mean you didn't have Sunday worship at home.. I wonder how many folks in 1776 either attended church or worshiped at home on Sunday compared to today..
Depends on what you mean by "rural" - the Hudson Valley, for example, was pretty rural by comparison to the "big cites" of New York and Philadelphia, but by the end of the colonial period it was well stocked with churches of various denominations.

Even in the Mohawk Valley, which butted right up against Five Nations land and was therefore the edge of settlement, the largest landowner in the area, Sir William Johnson, paid for half a dozen churches in the decade after the French and Indian War and provided them with land for their support. There may not have been as many churches as such in other frontier areas - trans-Appalachia or the Ohio Valley, for example.

But that's not really the point - apparently the authors of this book are making an assertion based on church attendance, rather than the existence of churches as such. I don't know how it would be possible to establish their figures.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I'd be glad to know what documentary sources the authors used to establish rates of church attendance in 1776. More reliable would be documentary evidence from a less disturbed year or period, say 1763-73?

AFAIK, there is no direct documentary evidence of church attendance in the late-colonial era which is generalizable across British North America. Some of the Congregational churches in New England may have kept Sunday attendance records, but the evidence would likely be spotty and then only apply to that region. One could examine tithe and glebe records in those provinces with an established church - though of course that's only indirect evidence of actual attendance, it leaves out non-conformers, and it wouldn't tell you much about colonies like Pennsylvania which had no established church. Testamentary documents likewise might give you some sense for church affiliation, though again with some significant methodological and interpretive problems. I have doubts about that statistic, particularly if they mean that one specific year, but even if it could be established, attendance isn't the same as religiosity. I suspect it's impossible to establish religiosity in the late-colonial era in a quantifiable sense - it has to be done qualitatively, if at all.
I just gave you the title and authors. READ! If you would take the time to you would see how they arrived at their measurements.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
yeah, Back then they believed in witches and demons and stuff. WE've come a long way since
Republican congressman Paul Broun dismisses evolution and other theories | World news | guardian.co.uk

oh...crap.

In the clip, Broun, who is a doctor, says that "as a scientist" he has found data that shows the earth is no older than 9,000 years and was created in six days. Mainstream scientific thought holds that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, give or take the odd millennia.

This man... helps make our laws. This man... thinks dinosaurs lvied less than 9,000 years ago.
yea pretty scary, there was someone on this forum bemoaning the fact that it's not the parents choice weather or not to teach their children creationism in school. WTF?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:

No one is forcing you to believe in God. It is your choice not to. That choice may have very, very long term consequences. Cheers!

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 11-21-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
I just gave you the title and authors. READ! If you would take the time to you would see how they arrived at their measurements.
I don't want to read the damn book. It's probably not in my tiny local library and I'm certainly not going to buy it just for this little bit of information. If you've read it why not post a brief synopsis telling how they came up with those numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies