Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How exactly are the GOP's social issues evolving.
80% of people under 30 support same sex marriage. Young Republicans are in general more open to the issue than older ones, even those who are religious.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So how's that rebuilding effort going?

You won't see significant deficit reduction until republicans once again control both houses of Congress.

Don't take my word for it.

Republicans controlled both houses of Congress from January 1995 until December 2000 and from January 2003 until December 2006.

During both of those periods deficits and unemployment both declined.

Anytime since the 1970s that Democrats have controlled both houses of Congress, annual deficits have increased.

Party In Power - Congress and Presidency - A Visual Guide To The Balance of Power In Congress, 1945-2008

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...s/hist01z3.xls
It's going fine, had to get the ecomony moving first. Can't fix the mess that took eight years to create in 4 years 2 of which were with an obstructionist congress. Did you really cherrypick numbers to give republican congress credit when a democratic administration was in the white house and so on ignoring all kinds of details? Look, we're beyond that. The curtain has been pulled back and nobody is buying that poop anymore. Like I said earlier, you can keep telling yourself the same self serving lies and your presidential nominees will end up looking disheveled while pumping gas a week after the election.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Good. And I will verify this in 2016 and if they have not, as you have stated, sufficiently evolved, I will vote accordingly.

[i.e. against them]
Exactly, and that's really the problem... not whether the GOP will ever "evolve" or not (and beyond just WA DC), but whether they'll continue to do it fast enough to keep up with progress (and with other changes within the culture)! Except as mattee01 already pointed out, most of 'em don't even believe in evolution to begin with, so they've still got a lo-o-ng way to go!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So how's that rebuilding effort going?

You won't see significant deficit reduction until republicans once again control both houses of Congress.

Don't take my word for it.

Republicans controlled both houses of Congress from January 1995 until December 2000 and from January 2003 until December 2006.

During both of those periods deficits and unemployment both declined.

Anytime since the 1970s that Democrats have controlled both houses of Congress, annual deficits have increased.

Party In Power - Congress and Presidency - A Visual Guide To The Balance of Power In Congress, 1945-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It's going fine, had to get the ecomony moving first. Can't fix the mess that took eight years to create in 4 years 2 of which were with an obstructionist congress. Did you really cherrypick numbers to give republican congress credit when a democratic administration was in the white house and so on ignoring all kinds of details? Look, we're beyond that. The curtain has been pulled back and nobody is buying that poop anymore. Like I said earlier, you can keep telling yourself the same self serving lies and your presidential nominees will end up looking disheveled while pumping gas a week after the election.

What a load!

"Going fine"?

By what objective standard is it going fine?

As for those "cherry picked numbers", sorry if the truth hurts, but the numbers are what they are.

Instead of trying to defend failure, why don't you get behind a proven winner?

I would love to have the economy we had in the late 1990s again or even the post 9/11 economy.

I made crazy money from 1995 to 1999 and again from 2002 to 2005.

I'd love to do that again, but the economy is getting worse, not better.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM

724 posts, read 593,306 times
You should have just cited the freakonomics website as the palm beach post aka old republican rich people post is just piggybacking off of Dubners ideas. While I like some of the freakonomics contrarian points of view, the idea that the president and congress don't have any bearing on the economy is ridiculous and there are plenty of economists that would agree.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Darth Cheney hasn't said it was a misquote. I don't know and don't care who or what Paul O'Neil said in some book. Dubya and Cheney seem cool with it and let their deficit increasing policies prove as much.

But deficits were declining until Democrats took over Congress.

By FY 2007, the federal deficit was just $151 billion.

The next year, under Democrat's control the deficit tripled.

Then, in FY 2009, the tripled deficit of 2008 was itself tripled.

It has remained at about $1.2 trillion through FY 2012 and shows no signs of shrinking.

Face it.

Obamanomics has failed.

A Tale of Two Recoveries - WSJ.com

Not sure why liberals have such difficulty learning from past experience.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM

724 posts, read 593,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which is why I never watch any 24hr news network channels, they rot your brain.
Agreed, useless as ***** on a bull

Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Pretty simple: GOP's views on social issues will evolve, they ARE evolving. Democrats' economic views will not evolve. Once we hit the magic 20 trillion mark, Dems will keep beating the "deficits don't matter" drum which will become as repulsive as the GOP's current stance on social issues.
I hope you're right, but given the religious nutters zeal that their moral system must be enshrined into law, and their failure to recognize that the culture war is over, and they have already lost, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I thought the white male vote was shrinking while the minority vote was rising, I have a feeling you will watch your party sink for a long time before they abandon their positions on social issues and adapt to the modern times.

"adapt to the modern times" = also hate heterosexual white males

Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm sorry but there is no way conservatives will accept same sex marriage. And I don't care how many sites you go on....it's a fact.
I can't say I entirely agree with you. "Conservatives" are not a monolithic block ... there are social conservatives like Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee, and those people will never accept Marriage Equality. On the other hand there are fiscal conservatives and libertarians who are warming up to the idea of granting LGBT people recognition and respecting their relationships as none of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies