Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I know...just like my lack of understanding back in 70's when I refused to believe all those supposedly science experts.....
"Global Cooling was a fact"...I guess Im just an ignorant denier.....may Al Gore have mercy on my soul...
algore doesn't give a damn about your soul, not one iota.

It's your wallet he's after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
I think it's impossible to argue with those who don't "believe" in global warming. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of belief or political viewpoints. Denying it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's facts--- inescapable facts. But if one of you reality-resisters is willing to take 5 minutes to read NASA's evidence of global warming, here's the link:

Climate Change: Evidence

Here are CO2 levels over the last several 100,000 years.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Cool, another 'hockey stick'.....

Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
I think it's impossible to argue with those who don't "believe" in global warming. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of belief or political viewpoints. Denying it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's facts--- inescapable facts. But if one of you reality-resisters is willing to take 5 minutes to read NASA's evidence of global warming, here's the link:

Quote:
This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased since the Industrial Revolution. (Source: NOAA)
I don't suppose you read their sources right? I mean, you just thought... hey it is the NOAA, they are that big science like thingy guys and stuff and so must be factual in their mention right?

Sure you did, I mean... all it takes for you us a name tag and a title, and they had you at hello right?

/pats you on the head.

No thanks, no interest in talking to fanboy attractions. You go ahead though, cheer leader on!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:

These folks are fact averse. Like androids, their prejudices and and suspicions have been cultivated and programmed and no amount of science or actual historical study of the climate will change how they're programmed from FOX, Rush Limbaugh and all the other corporatist mouthpieces.

I do believe that Al Gore is one of the worst people to speak on climate change, just because the rightwing have been able to convince their flock that it is a political issue. Perhaps if they were not able to do this and had to argue solely based on science they would not be able to convince their braying flock that science is not science, and that their eyes are lying to them.

But even that is a long shot, they can always rely on an economic conspiracy argument as well.

I think the denialist camp truly embody the Dumbing Down of America, and provide the greatest example of this.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,257 times
Quote:
These folks are fact averse. Like androids, their prejudices and and suspicions have been cultivated and programmed and no amount of science or actual historical study of the climate will change how they're programmed from FOX, Rush Limbaugh and all the other corporatist mouthpieces.

I do believe that Al Gore is one of the worst people to speak on climate change, just because the rightwing have been able to convince their flock that it is a political issue. Perhaps if they were not able to do this and had to argue solely based on science they would not be able to convince their braying flock that science is not science, and that their eyes are lying to them.

But even that is a long shot, they can always rely on an economic conspiracy argument as well.

I think the denialist camp truly embody the Dumbing Down of America, and provide the greatest example of this

Again..If I recall correctly a majority of climatologists believed in 70's man made global cooling...that it was a fact...i denied then...and I deny man made global warming now...I guess im just ignorant denier...may Gore have mercy on my soul...

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Really Mr. Expert...I guess you should educate Mr. Richard Lindzen of MIT considered one of the premier experts in the world of climatology

He is a contrarian, and, of course, a darling of the denialist camp.

Quote:
A 2012 New York Times article however criticized Lindzen. Today, most mainstream researchers consider Dr. Lindzen’s theory discredited. He does not agree, but he has had difficulty establishing his case in the scientific literature. Dr. Lindzen published a paper in 2009 offering more support for his case that the earth’s sensitivity to greenhouse gases is low, but once again scientists identified errors, including a failure to account for known inaccuracies in satellite measurements.

The November 10, 2004 online version of Reason magazine reported that Lindzen is "willing to take bets that global average temperatures in 20 years will in fact be lower than they are now."[60]

Lindzen has been characterized as a contrarian, in relation to climate change and other issues.[61][62][63] Lindzen's graduate students describe him as "fiercely intelligent, with a deep contrarian streak." [64]

Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Man-made global climate change is their religion by which they will cure the earth of the evils of capitalism.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,257 times
Quote:
He is a contrarian, and, of course, a darling of the denialist camp
I know he's only considered one of the premier experts in the world of climatology...who would want to listen to him...

Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Quote:
I know he's only considered one of the premier experts in the world of climatology...who would want to listen to him...
Good to see you applying the same statistical theory that served you so well in the presidential elections predictions to this issue: Elevate the outlier and dismiss the 90% of data pointing the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies