Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,174,426 times

Advertisements

Racism is a terrible thing regardless of who gives it. I think this is something most of us can agree upon. However, we rarely hear of condemnation against those who target whites explicitly. Black and Hispanic on white crime occurs in greater numbers than the opposite, yet we rarely see public outcry. Further...even on this forum we see comments about how white people are the problem, white people are stupid, white people are ruining the world, etc. etc. etc. If the same was mentioned of african american or hispanics the thread would be shut down or the poster would be yelled at by every subsequent poster.

So my question....why does it seem that prejudice against White people is tolerated...or even encouraged to some degree? Further...why are white people encouraged to be apologetic (see below).

I want to qualify the apology thing with something that happened in my "Intro to Sociology" class in college. My Soci professor was in the racial relations section of our textbook and she was talking about the injustices that have happened over the years against minorities in the South. She then proceeded to ask all of the white Americans in the classroom to write a "proxy" apology letter to the slaves for the injusticies of our ancestors. Now...I did this because it was for the class and I had no interest in getting on my professors bad side...but I felt uncomfortable doing this. I have done nothing to the slaves...I, to my knowledge, have never hurt anyone. This felt unfair to me and my classmates. It was clearly racially motivated and unacceptable...yet she does this every year. Is it fair?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
All crimes involving Blacks or Hispanics = racism??? Asking someone to write a letter of apology = racism??

I don't think you have any idea of what racism is

Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
All crimes involving Blacks or Hispanics = racism??? Asking someone to write a letter of apology = racism??

I don't think you have any idea of what racism is
I think you should read before you criticize.

Black or Hispanic on white crime as opposed to the opposite....meaning white on black or hispanic.

Asking someone (white person) to write a letter to dead slaves (black people) because their presumed ancestors owned slaves.
--lets reduce this to five parts.
1. Slavery happened to black people
2. White people commited this crime
3. Oh look...there is a white kid.
4. You should be held responsible.
5. Apologize.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I think you should read before you criticize.

Black or Hispanic on white crime as opposed to the opposite....meaning white on black or hispanic.

Asking someone (white person) to write a letter to dead slaves (black people) because their presumed ancestors owned slaves.
--lets reduce this to five parts.
1. Slavery happened to black people
2. White people commited this crime
3. Oh look...there is a white kid.
4. You should be held responsible.
5. Apologize.
I've been victim of a crime by a Black guy, multiple times, didn't see it as racism.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I've been victim of a crime by a Black guy, multiple times, didn't see it as racism.
Not all instances of hispanic or black on white crime are racially motivated. However the outrage that happens when the opposite takes place usually overtakes (quite heavily) the outrage that takes place when the case you spoke of takes place which is weird statistically speaking because it happens well out of proportion with their numbers.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Nothing like getting the racial guilt divisive mindset in the minds of young adults.

Of course the assignment doesn't make sense - to apologize for stuff you didn't do. I would like to say stand on what you believe - but I know that's not easy - professors can be intimidating.

Way back in the 9th grade, I went to a Catholic school, and the teacher was talking about the poor - and asked some question about who was at fault for the poor. I said it was their own fault in part because everyone has equal opportunity to go to school, get an education, what they do with their time, etc. He lit into me big time. I sank in my chair - but I believed what I said. When class was over, a classmate told me he agreed with me. So you never know who is listening when you take a stand.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Because it's mostly in your head... try to keep in mind that you're not being attacked just because other groups of people finally have rights that you've always had.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
I said it was their own fault in part because everyone has equal opportunity to go to school, get an education, what they do with their time, etc.

Wheeehahahahaha, spoken like a true son/daughter of comfortable middle-class privilege. I'm pretty sure that your average mentally ill individual, crack baby, or person of color working for slave wages in the fields or inner city child would laugh as hard as I just did at that smug, self-satisfied answer.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I said it was their own fault in part because everyone has equal opportunity to go to school, get an education, what they do with their time, etc.

Wheeehahahahaha, spoken like a true son/daughter of comfortable middle-class privilege. I'm pretty sure that your average mentally ill individual, crack baby, or person of color working for slave wages in the fields or inner city child would laugh as hard as I just did at that smug, self-satisfied answer.
I am black. Son of miilitary parents. Mom's side of the family lives in S.E Wash. DC. So I spent a lot of time there my whole life - that is the ghetto. Went to public school there in 7th and 8th grade before going to private school in 9th grade. I've been in the fights. You don't know me.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Nothing like getting the racial guilt divisive mindset in the minds of young adults.

Of course the assignment doesn't make sense - to apologize for stuff you didn't do. I would like to say stand on what you believe - but I know that's not easy - professors can be intimidating.

Way back in the 9th grade, I went to a Catholic school, and the teacher was talking about the poor - and asked some question about who was at fault for the poor. I said it was their own fault in part because everyone has equal opportunity to go to school, get an education, what they do with their time, etc. He lit into me big time. I sank in my chair - but I believed what I said. When class was over, a classmate told me he agreed with me. So you never know who is listening when you take a stand.
I think it's a stupid exercise given by the professor, assuming it's true, but hardly makes it racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies