Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times

Advertisements

So says Pope Benedict. For example,

"There is no mention of animals in the Gospels," he wrote in the third and last volume of his biography of Jesus Christ . . . The inclusion of domestic animals in the Nativity scene may have been inspired by pre-Christian traditions, for instance in the Book of Habakkuk, a part of the Hebrew Bible which was probably written by an early prophet in the seventh century BC, Benedict wrote."
Nativity donkeys and cattle are a myth, says Pope - Telegraph

And the angels didn't even sing.

So much for the Christian holiday. Merry Consumerism Christmas, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,876,746 times
Feel better?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Honestly, Easter is the Christian holiday that should be the biggie. That's the one that the whole Christian faith is really built on - Christ fulfilled the prophecy by rising from the dead as foretold in the OT. Maybe co-opting Pagan rituals just worked better???

Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Honestly, Easter is the Christian holiday that should be the biggie. That's the one that the whole Christian faith is really built on - Christ fulfilled the prophecy by rising from the dead as foretold in the OT. Maybe co-opting Pagan rituals just worked better???
As an outside observer (Jewish), if I knew nothing of western culture and read the new testament I would assume Easter would be more significant than Christmas. That's just me though.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Feel better?
Atheists at work:

Christmas Carols - Christmas Time Is Here (Charlie Brown) - YouTube

Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As an outside observer (Jewish), if I knew nothing of western culture and read the new testament I would assume Easter would be more significant than Christmas. That's just me though.
I'm a former Christian and I never understood why Christmas was such a huge deal - especially compared to Easter. It really makes no sense to me. Maybe the birth of a cute baby in a barn has more marketing appeal than a Jewish philosopher being nailed to a cross for questioning the status quo & promoting peace/love?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Merchants haven't figured out a way to really capitalize on Easter--yet. If they ever did, you would would suddenly see it become a big holiday. Really, there is very little that is religious about Christmas in this country any longer. It's become a consumer holiday, created by retailers, many of whom derive close to 40% of their annual revenue on holiday sales alone.

Which is why the annual whining by the right that liberals are trying to kill Christmas always strikes me as funny. They should be railing at corporate America--they are the ones who took the "Christ" out of Christmas a long time ago, for the benefit of their bottom line. Liberals and atheists and whoever else the fundamentalists traditionally blame could never have done half so good a job at killing the true meaning of Christmas as those corporations have done chasing the almighty buck. All one has to do is watch people trampling each other on Black Friday every year to scoop up as much crap as possible to see how successful they've been at turning Christmas into a secular holiday.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,304,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

"There is no mention of animals in the Gospels," he wrote in the third and last volume of his biography of Jesus Christ . . . The inclusion of domestic animals in the Nativity scene may have been inspired by pre-Christian traditions, for instance in the Book of Habakkuk, a part of the Hebrew Bible which was probably written by an early prophet in the seventh century BC, Benedict wrote."

Do you accept the words of the Pope that point out what atheists believe and fail to accept those that are about Christianity? I think that may well be what has happened here.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

So ya lost a donkey and a few sheep and camels and no angels sang when your Jesus was born so now you can't....what?

What did you lose?

Did the Pope tell you you couldn't get drunk and overspend and get stressed out and cook until you're exhausted or watch football or go to church .....what?

WHAT did you lose?

Answer(because YOU won't answer): NOTHING.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,875 times
The Pope is only one Christian out of 2.2+ billion...

Chrismas is the birth of Christ, and everything else just symbolizes his birth and him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies