Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apple started out of a garage. Oprah came from a poor background. You have no idea what you're talking about.
BS, I get so tied of hearing these nonsense rags to riches stories like that. That was just some rich kids playing around with a hobby in that garage. Apple was incorporated a year later with a $250,000 loan and they had an office right from the start. With out that loan, they would have never have gone farther then playing in their parents garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A mother and father and four children, renting a room in a house. Now thats an idea. I've seen Mexican immigrants who do that, but I'm not sure most US born Americans would be able to deal with that kind of life. Then the question would be, what to do when the rent on that room goes up? Maybe they should just rent a closet to live in, instead of a whole room?

But got to love the Republican vision for America. They'd like to see ever singe working person living in a cardboard box on the street, so they wouldn't have to pay them living wages. Is there any end to Republican greed?
Actually, greed is the liberal way. Keep the wealth in the political class, giving money to political cronies in return for favors.

The conservative way is for EVERYONE to succeed. Everyone has a living wage, thanks to the free market, and nobody lives in a box.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
BS, I get so tied of hearing these nonsense rags to riches stories like that. That was just some rich kids playing around with a hobby in that garage. Apple was incorporated with a $250,000 loan and they had an office.
They were also nearly put out of business by the IBM monopolist but after the ATT break up did not want to wind up in court. So they did not want to also create the OS and contracted the future monopolist Microsoft. Most people don't know hidden computer protocols also produce rents. MS kept Apple alive because of anti-trust pressure.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
No way in hell I'm buying that hack job sob story. Look at where the bulk of government spending goes:

The bottom 20% GAINS an additional $7.21 in government benefits and services for every $1 in taxes they pay. The next 20% GAINS an additional $1.51 in government benefits and services for every $1 in taxes they pay. Even the middle 20% GAINS more from the government than they pay in taxes.

AND we know this:
In Entitlement America, The Head Of A Household Of Four Making Minimum Wage Has More Disposable Income Than A Family Making $60,000 A Year | ZeroHedge
The chart is highly flawed, we know the extreme poor don't pay taxes at the same rate as everyone else, becuz they don't have money or property that gets taxed.

The other item this chart glosses over is the extraordinary benefit the wealthy derive from the us military and the special treatment they receive from tax policies. When has the us government started a war or built a road exclusively for a poor person?

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-30-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, greed is the liberal way. Keep the wealth in the political class, giving money to political cronies in return for favors.

The conservative way is for EVERYONE to succeed. Everyone has a living wage, thanks to the free market, and nobody lives in a box.

No the 're not. Not even close. The hard working ones are but they have no clue how many of their wealthy sponsors are raping them.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The chart is highly flawed, we know the extreme poor don't pay taxes at the same rate as everyone else, becuz they don't have money or property that gets taxed.

The other item this chart glasses over is the extraordinary benefit the wealthy derive from the us military and the special treatment they receive from tax policies. When has the us government started a war or built a road exclusively for a poor person?
They get special treatment from artificial income policy, not tax policy.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, that's a complete lie. If you disagree, please show me the stats.
Here let me spoon feed you some information:

In 2010 student debt exceeded credit-card debt for the first time. In 2011 it surpassed auto loans. In March, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau announced that student debt had passed $1 trillion. It grew by $300 billion from the third quarter of 2008 even as other forms of debt shrank by $1.6 trillion, according to a separate tabulation by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Student Loans: Debt for Life - Businessweek

Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Most people's debt these days come from student loans. They are starting out so far in debt that they will never be able to get out of it as long as they live.
Very bad decision, which no one forced them to make. Why should somebody else reimburse them for their own mistake? Will you reimburse me when I make a bad investment?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Very bad decision, which no one forced them to make. Why should somebody else reimburse them for their own mistake? Will you reimburse me when I make a bad investment?
Lol, this ^^^ from the same breed that says, "don't like your low paying job, get a better education".

Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How many times do I have to say it? When you buy a plot of land you are purchasing a government entitlement for you exclusive use.
If I purchase it from the government, yes. Otherwise, it's NO government entitlement. How do I know that? Because I never own the land free and clear. I always have to pay taxes on it. For example, our property tax here in the Chicago area is roughly 2.5% of market value each year. That means after somewhat less than 20 years of paying taxes on my property (allowing for appreciation), I'll end up paying for the same property twice.

Quote:
Why not buy a sea lane too and set up a toll booth? Charging an access fee for your land is a tax right.
What makes you think I can earn money by charging everyone who comes to my house a toll? That's a really odd belief you have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies