Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That must be really and old way. I think the military kills as many enemy as they can until the enemy gives up, even if they are running away they kill as many as possible. Remember the "road of death" during the first Gulf War? Those dead tanks, trucks and soldiers were leaving Kuwait and heading back to Iraq when our Air Force slaughtered them.
Uuuuh no; your military ruined a column of equipment being driven back to Iraq by people who died as collateral damage. Those Iraqi's who abandoned the column and ran into the desert were not targeted as individuals. Your military's intent was NOT to slaughter the Iragi soldiers as proven by those who surrendered in the desert being treated just fine.

Those who refused to abandon their trenches and tank traps got bulldozed under as they should have but those who jumped up with their hands in the air got by-passed by the armour and were reported to the following troops to round up. There were reported examples of them being searched for weapons, given water and food, then left behind to wander back towards the approaching American troops because there were simply too damn many of them to contend with at the time.

Sadam's Republican Guard was a notable example of restraint practiced by your military in the thick of that engagement.

Try to be more selective in your event searches and perusing the ROE's issued that Schwartzkopf followed to the letter, regardless if he agreed with them or not. His career remains reasonably untarnished because even though he sometimes disagreed with Powell he nevertheless followed his orders.

It is a shame you attribute all the wrong codes of honour to your own troops. For the greater part of that war in the desert; if hands were in the air and surrender was verified; Iraqi's were spared death and "slaughter". One of the "cleaner" wars ever fought!

It is a very great pity that part of the world regards anyone practicing the Marquis-de-Queensbury rules as being weak, for if they had a better appreciation for the value of their life being spared by an obviously superior foe, fewer of those veteran Iraqi's might take up weapons against you today in the name of Al-Queda or any other retarded terrorist org..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It was 8 times. And, I agree. I also wonder if the previous burglaries were ever solved?? Did the old guy ever have to testify against anyone.
He apparently only officially reported one break-in, and mentioned two others to the police at that time, according to this article.

Quote:
The man accused of executing two teenage cousins who broke into his Little Falls, Minn., home had weapons stolen from the house in October and told authorities at that time about two earlier break-ins.

Byron David Smith, 64, officially reported only the October burglary because he "didn't feel (the others) were significant enough," Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said Tuesday, Nov. 27. In October, Smith had "guns and other valuables taken," but Wetzel did not have additional details.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Can't add to that.
I can. The guy was not threatening anyone ... he was in his own home, and presented no threat to anyone, unlike the burglars/home invaders who do and were posing a threat to to him. And let's stop calling them "kids" .... they were home invaders, and they would be fine and healthy today had they not made the choice to be criminals that threaten and harm others.

According to the man's brother, he had been victimized by home burglary 8 times E I G H T Obviously there is a major problem in a rural area when one home is targeted that many times. What we need to do as a society is to STOP making excuses for criminals and stop prosecuting people for defending themselves and their property!

Who's going to take care of that old man when the "Kids" end up stealing everything he has of value, including gold which he may have saved in order to support himself in his latter days? Oh the poor poor criminal song makes me sick. There wouldn't be much sympathy or news of the even had the "kid's" bludgeoned the old man to death. He would have been just another statistic, and the "kids" would still be out breaking into other peoples homes.

Was his actions excessive use of force? No doubt yes. So was being burglarized 8 freaking times excessive, and everybody has a breaking point. 8 times burglarized was his ... I'm not sure it would take me 8 burglaries to reach mine.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I can. The guy was not threatening anyone ... he was in his own home, and presented no threat to anyone, unlike the burglars/home invaders who do and were posing a threat to to him. And let's stop calling them "kids" .... they were home invaders, and they would be fine and healthy today had they not made the choice to be criminals that threaten and harm others.

According to the man's brother, he had been victimized by home burglary 8 times E I G H T Obviously there is a major problem in a rural area when one home is targeted that many times. What we need to do as a society is to STOP making excuses for criminals and stop prosecuting people for defending themselves and their property!

Who's going to take care of that old man when the "Kids" end up stealing everything he has of value, including gold which he may have saved in order to support himself in his latter days? Oh the poor poor criminal song makes me sick. There wouldn't be much sympathy or news of the even had the "kid's" bludgeoned the old man to death. He would have been just another statistic, and the "kids" would still be out breaking into other peoples homes.

Was his actions excessive use of force? No doubt yes. So was being burglarized 8 freaking times excessive, and everybody has a breaking point. 8 times burglarized was his ... I'm not sure it would take me 8 burglaries to reach mine.
I can't argue with a single word of your post,
BUT, you just can't finish em off.
If ya do, at least don't tell the cops that's what you did.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

According to the man's brother, he had been victimized by home burglary 8 times E I G H T
From what I understand, there is only one burglary that is on record as having been reported.

What happened with the other S E V E N? Why is there no record of those having been reported?

If there is no record of them having been reported, then the fact that the killer's brother says E I G H T burglaries occurred means nothing.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I understand that. There is certainly a significant element of cold bloodiness in the man's actions. At the same time, maybe that's the message that needs to reach criminals in these times when it seems the law protects them more than their victims .. and police are never around to stop crime, but only arrive later to lay down chalk marks around the victims bodies?

In this rare instance, the criminals became the victims, and their fate rests solely in their own actions. Acknowledging the brutality of the man's actions is fine ... publicize it broadly ... but he should not be prosecuted. This would send the message to other criminals that very bad things can happen to you if you make bad choices, and if you cross that line by breaking into someone else's home, the home owner can deal with your worthless arse in a manner that the law cannot.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The shot up into the under chin area with subsequent powder stippeling would tell the story without him having to. That little drama takes a reaaaallly angry person, with no guilt angst whatsoever, to perform.

His spoken words will also figure greatly into his day in court. "I shot the kid with my rifle and he fell down the steps, my rifle jammed so I shot him a bunch more times with my pistol while he was laying there" ~ "I put my gun up under her chin and finished her off to put her out of her misery". Duuh? His lawyer is gonna have to be a pretty sharp dude to have stuff like that sticken from record. A jury hearing crap like that is going to be hard pressed to keep the "castle doctrine" foremost in their thoughts.

In my humble opinion; this old dude is toast.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In a previous article before these facts came out it said that the man's house had been broken into before and he lost $10,000 worth of guns and cash. So in reality he could have believed that they had the guns that were stolen from him.

But the part of him taking the 22 handgun and shooting the girl in the chest several times and then one under the chin I think is going to send him to prison for the rest of his life.

If the kids had parents who asked a few questions about what they were doing and followed up and actually disciplined them none of this would have happened.

I guess maybe the parents of the 17 year old should do some time in prison as well. Even if it's a year. I think parents should be held partially responsible for the actions of their children up until those children are 18, unless they legally disavow them and give up all rights as far as foodstamps/welfare ect.
A parental accountability law sounds good to me.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
From what I understand, there is only one burglary that is on record as having been reported.

What happened with the other S E V E N? Why is there no record of those having been reported?

If there is no record of them having been reported, then the fact that the killer's brother says E I G H T burglaries occurred means nothing.
Why does it have to be multiple B & Es?

Since the thieves wiped out the old man the first time and the police weren't able to help, do you suppose subsequent B&Es might go unreported if nothing of value was taken?

One B & E is enough for one lifetime. You would know that if you had ever been burglarized.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
From the report I watched he shot the girl and then put his gun to her head killing her because she laughed. The killings were reported to a neighbor the next day, he in turn called the police/ I f that is true he deserves the max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies