Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

The jury in this case is gonna be in for a lot of debate. I see some real issues in the way the laws regarding second degree is worded. I'm thinking it might get reduced to manslaughter...but there is a glitch there to, involuntary doesn't quite fit either. Criminal negligence???...Here is a link to info regarding laws in MN for anyone interested.
Minnesota Felony & Misdemeanor Criminal Defense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I like how they report the two "apparently broke into the home".

As if there is any doubt.
I noticed that, too, but I would guess that it's because the investigation isn't finished yet. Also, the teens didn't get to be tried and convicted, so it's all guessing at this point.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Kind of torn on this.... Its horrible, but at the same time, I think your wife becomes worthless once you enter someone's house illegally.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Kind of torn on this.... Its horrible, but at the same time, I think your wife becomes worthless once you enter someone's house illegally.
A lot of worthless wives in this world.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
LOL.... life*

(hope my wife doesn't see this)

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
LOL.... life*

(hope my wife doesn't see this)
I suspected a freudian slip.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangeater82 View Post
kind of torn on this.... Its horrible, but at the same time, i think your wife becomes worthless once you enter someone's house illegally.
lol!!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yeah, it seemed like you didn't really have the whole story. Creepy, don't you think? I don't blame him in the least for incapacitating them, but he should have left it there and called the cops.
Hindsight is 20:20.

It's hard to say what any of us would do if we were being terrorized and harassed by some career criminals.

Then you're home alone, you hear the sound of breaking glass and the footsteps of people walking around your house. You're in the basement -- too afraid to go upstairs -- in your own house. You wait for them to leave....... but they don't leave. Now they come down into the basement....

It could even be a matter of temporary insanity - certainly they need to look at this guy's whole life and see if he's ever committed another crime against someone. If in 60 plus years, his record was clean -- that should be considered. If he was ever a threat before then that should be considered.

Normally though, you would not know if those doing a home invasion on you are armed or not armed -- the article said the boy used a lead pipe to smash the window, so it's safest to assume someone who has broken into your home while you are in it is armed. A shot to the abdomen doesn't remove them as a threat because they could still pull a gun and shoot you. In fact here in Texas they tell you that if someone has broken into your house, you don't shoot to only wound slightly -- that's a great way to have them kill you for sure, you shoot to kill.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
I for one fully support the man and his form of self justice.

These two teens were garbage and this man simply did himself, the authorities and the taxpayers a favor.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hindsight is 20:20.

It's hard to say what any of us would do if we were being terrorized and harassed by some career criminals.

Then you're home alone, you hear the sound of breaking glass and the footsteps of people walking around your house. You're in the basement -- too afraid to go upstairs -- in your own house. You wait for them to leave....... but they don't leave. Now they come down into the basement....

It could even be a matter of temporary insanity - certainly they need to look at this guy's whole life and see if he's ever committed another crime against someone. If in 60 plus years, his record was clean -- that should be considered. If he was ever a threat before then that should be considered.

Normally though, you would not know if those doing a home invasion on you are armed or not armed -- the article said the boy used a lead pipe to smash the window, so it's safest to assume someone who has broken into your home while you are in it is armed. A shot to the abdomen doesn't remove them as a threat because they could still pull a gun and shoot you. In fact here in Texas they tell you that if someone has broken into your house, you don't shoot to only wound slightly -- that's a great way to have them kill you for sure, you shoot to kill.
Exactly.

All the whining and bellyaching about how the old man was lying in wait, blah, blah.....silliest thing I ever heard from the usual brainless forum suspects. The kids had him trapped in the basement. For all he knew, the kids weren't going to let him out alive, so he did what he had to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies