Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times

Advertisements

Or not. Occupy Sandy, an off-shoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement, a group that is routinely dismissed by the right as lazy, unemployed slackers and hippies, are proving to be anything but.

"There is no question how much the mammoth, headless, volunteer-run disaster-relief organization has helped people. Since those very first days, Occupy Sandy has cooked and distributed between 10 and 15 thousand meals each day; enlisted more than 7,000 volunteers; created three major distribution hubs from which it dispatches both workers and supplies; and established dozens of recovery sites in New York and New Jersey. Perhaps most stunning, the group has raised more than $600,000 in cash for its efforts and received more than $700,000 in supplies donated through repurposed online wedding registries."

The good they’re doing seems to have answered any remaining questions about what Occupiers meant by standing up for the “99 percent.” It’s also a rebuke to those who dismissed occupiers as lazy, unemployed kids: Yes, many of the volunteers are young, pierced and tattooed, but, clearly, slackers they are not."

How Sandy Saved Occupy

I would hope this would lay to rest the rabid rightwing's denigration of this group's motivation and reason for being, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 11-27-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
That's great of them. Also remember they don't work so have the time to do all that volunteer work.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's great of them. Also remember they don't work so have the time to do all that volunteer work.
Obviously, they are working very hard. It shouldn't be about how much money you make, but what you contribute to society.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Or not. Occupy Sandy, an off-shoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement, a group that is routinely dismissed by the right as lazy, unemployed slackers and hippies, are proving to be anything but.

"There is no question how much the mammoth, headless, volunteer-run disaster-relief organization has helped people. Since those very first days, Occupy Sandy has cooked and distributed between 10 and 15 thousand meals each day; enlisted more than 7,000 volunteers; created three major distribution hubs from which it dispatches both workers and supplies; and established dozens of recovery sites in New York and New Jersey. Perhaps most stunning, the group has raised more than $600,000 in cash for its efforts and received more than $700,000 in supplies donated through repurposed online wedding registries."

The good they’re doing seems to have answered any remaining questions about what Occupiers meant by standing up for the “99 percent.” It’s also a rebuke to those who dismissed occupiers as lazy, unemployed kids: Yes, many of the volunteers are young, pierced and tattooed, but, clearly, slackers they are not."

How Sandy Saved Occupy

I would hope this would lay to rest the rabid rightwing's denigration of this group's motivation and reason for being, but I won't hold my breath.
Great post! but, of course you'll get some brain dead Repugs finding fault with even that...

No, they think carrying on their hate campaign against the less fortunate, the unemployed, the middle class is good and wins them elections...LOLOLOL! Guess not but they won't change.....as members of the middle class they hate themselves Ya can't change stupid....

$700,000 in supplies donated through online wedding registries!!??!!!

Obama sure had a good idea

Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

How Sandy Saved Occupy

Yes, one small piece of the Occupy movement does something good so that should immediately end any mention of the groups' numerous counts of vandalism and disturbing the peace.

Funny how you aren't complaining about MSNBC's reporting Romney helping those very same victims negatively.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:

[URL="http://prospect.org/article/how-sandy-saved-occupy"]How Sandy Saved Occupy[/URL]

Yah, if only it were true. Leopards don't change their spots, and, more on-point, Sloth's don't change their infestations so quickly.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, one small piece of the Occupy movement does something good so that should immediately end any mention of the groups' numerous counts of vandalism and disturbing the peace.

Funny how you aren't complaining about MSNBC's reporting Romney helping those very same victims negatively.
Yes, one small piece of the Occupy movement does something bad so that should immediately end any mention of the groups' numerous good works and the hard work they did for others.

Romney is Off Topic...if you want to talk about how he campigned while handing out some stuff for a few minutes start another thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm one of those Americans who thinks our biggest economic problem is that there are millions more Americans wanting to work than there are jobs for them. I keep seeing comments on this forum that suggest many Americans see the biggest problem as their fellow citizens, who they call lazy parasites.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
what, did they run out police cars to poop on?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

how about all the rapes that occured with the occupiers. forget that.

I would love to see who gave more, Percentage wise to be fair, of their personal income. Obama or romney? obama is very generous with my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies