Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Ha! He did?? No, no... the GOP did quite handily. Obama and the Democrats brought all those marginalized folks together.
Really? How...by telling blacks they are being discriminated against..single women? "war on women" and free condoms, hispanics - dream act for every one that makes it across the border...gays? he was against gay marriage before he was for it....poor? - free obama phones, more food stamps, just sign right up...obama care? - not going to cover everyone that needs it, but what what the heck...Class warfare - make the rich the evil people that just won't pay their fair share..

Yes...so proud of this guy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
"Mitt Romney... Named the Least Influential Person of 2012....."

...by GQ Magazine, possibly the least "influential" magazine still in circulation. I doubt Mitt's losing any sleep over their arbitrary declaration.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
"Mitt Romney... Named the Least Influential Person of 2012....."

...by GQ Magazine, possibly the least "influential" magazine still in circulation. I doubt Mitt's losing any sleep over their arbitrary declaration.
I doubt old Mit is getting any sleep at all. I imagine he lays there at night thinking, "How did I manage to blow it so badly".

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Well BO sure does want to meet with him and ask for advice. Even he knows Romney is the more capable.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Wow, the guy lost the presidential election but NOW someone put him on a list calling him uninfluential? Oh snap, that's really a huge blow....lmfao.

I'm sitting here laughing at you guys.

It's like you see a guy being mauled by a great white shark and commenting on how it's even worse for him because the biting has created a slight rip in his swim trunks!

What a silly thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
If Romney is still being talked about/trashed by the mainstream media then I would say he definitely has some influence.

Now a politician who truly has no influence on anybody - be it good or bad influence - or coming from the right, left, or center - that would have to be Joe Biden.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Well BO sure does want to meet with him and ask for advice. Even he knows Romney is the more capable.
In trality BO doesn't give a rats azz what Mittens thinks about anything. It's just another classy act by the president assisting old Mitt to save some face.
In ways it's a self serving act also. I'm thinking that he hopes that Mitt still has some influence in the GOP and the real Mitt being quite liberal can talk some sence into these GOP goofballs.

I think BO is wrong and the GOP is done with Mitt completely and absolutely. Even that plays into the president's hand as it would show the GOP even eats it's own, has no loyality to anything other than self.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I long for the day that a political party can get my vote by what they do. Give us a plan.

My well employed family, 2 daughters each have 2 master's degrees, my s-i-l has a PhD in physics and my son has the very top award in his field. DH has a master's. Telling us that we are are stupid greedy takers will not encourage any of us to vote Republican.
What on God's Green Earth are you talking about? You must be hiding something if you think someone's been telling you you're a taker. None of you sound like takers to me.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Really? How...by telling blacks they are being discriminated against..
Well, first off, no: Obama did not make his platform on telling blacks that they've been discriminated against. The people who put this out on the forefront the most are people like you... for every one black person I've heard complaining about discrimination or white people in my life, I've heard ten white people complaining that black people complain about discrimination. And I can say this with 100% honesty and truth as a white man who's lived in black neighborhoods and has many black friends.

And before you think that I'm some sort of slavering apologist... no, I'm quite proud of my Scandanavian heritage and my family's history of achievement and service to this country. I just don't need to denigrate a historically subjugated class as a core belief of my politics.

Quote:
single women? "war on women"
Obama wasn't the one talking about "legitimate rape" or sayinging that rape could, in fact, be a gift from god; or at the very least, that any rape-derived pregnancy was his sacred will.

Maybe you don't find this offensive because you agree, in which case, all I can really say is that you have a very twisted and punitive sense of morality. Maybe you don't agree with these statements, but you shut them out because you just can't stand to hear "the liberals" be correct about something and "the conservatives" be wrong. Because that's what these attitudes are... wrong.

There was one of two major political parties in the US that wanted to have a litmus test as to what constituted actual, serious, for-reals "rape." It wasn't the democrats.

Quote:
and free condoms,
Oh, the humanity...

So, you think that it'd be better for even more poor people to procreate so that there are even more people who are less apt to vote republican? Well, thanks... I guess.

Quote:
hispanics - dream act for every one that makes it across the border...
Totally wrong and you know it. "Every one that makes it across the border?" You know just as well as I that your statement is a loaded mouthful of hogwash. It applies to people who were brought to the US as minors, meaning that they likely had no say one way or the other as to whether they ended up here legally or not. However, since they did grow up here, they grew up in America, likely bilingual, and with little exposure to life or society back in their home country. Witness cases of teenagers who get sent for deportation to a country that they haven't been in since they were 1 or 2, don't speak the language, and generally have nothing to do with... they didn't have a say in how they ended up here.

If they want to get an education so that they can become a productive, middle-class member of American society, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. You obviously do, and that's too bad but it's not my fault or problem.

Quote:
gays? he was against gay marriage before he was for it....
He was always for it, he just knew that the time wasn't right to make it a big issue during his first campaign, considering that the country was still coming off of its socially-conservative moreality kick and that support of gays had been a major contributing factor to Kerry's loss of the election in '04.

Regardless, he came out in support of it and he lifted the ban on gays in the military - which hasn't adversely affected the military in any way, shape, or form, regardless of what republicans said.

Gays aren't getting any "special" treatment; they're getting their rights.

Quote:
poor? - free obama phones,
Oh, come off it and stop relying on worthless and baseless chain emails and viral memes to shape your political opinions. There's no such thing as an "Obama phone."

Here's a Forbes article on the issue. You should read it: Crazy For "Obama Phones" - But Are They For Real? - Forbes

Quote:
more food stamps, just sign right up...
Lose your job after the economic crash that was a result of unregulated and unfettered free-market deregulation or keep working a thankless and stagnant low-paying job while CEO's and upper-level execs take more and more and more perks... yup, free food stamps... sounds fun and sexy and awesome, being flat-freakin' broke...

I guess I'll just quit my job and give up my cool pad in Beverly Hills so that I can get tons of cool, free stuff; after all, a lot of butthurt middle-to-high earners who support the GOP said that they were going to. I wonder how many have, and how many were talking out their butts?

Quote:
obama care? - not going to cover everyone that needs it, but what what the heck...
It'll cover plenty of people, and it will make sweeping changes to the grossly-inflated, for-profit healthcare industry (and that's what it is, an industry) so that millions of people who had absolutely zero chance of obtaining healthcare, can now obtain healthcare.

It also makes it so that healthcare companies can no longer break their contracts and just dump people because they're sick - which is why you get health insurance in the first place. This is a very, very GOOD thing.

Quote:
Class warfare - make the rich the evil people that just won't pay their fair share..
Who was up there saying that he didn't care about 47% of America to a room full of other rich guys?

Quote:
Yes...so proud of this guy....
In a nutshell, the only party that's engaging in "class warfare" is the one that doesn't want to admit that the lower-class people in America exist, deserve a voice, can contribute anything to America, and deserve fair and just treatment. And that would be the republican party.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What on God's Green Earth are you talking about? You must be hiding something if you think someone's been telling you you're a taker. None of you sound like takers to me.
The GOP and many of its supporters have painted the Democratic voting base as "takers." This is what people like her, her family, me, and my family all take offense to... none of us are "takers." The clear implication and statement that Mitt Romney made, which merely echoed many peoples' sentiments, is that we are a party of people who think that we are victims and want handouts... when most of us don't think that we are victims and most of us are hard-working people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies