Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
About 1.5 million, or 53.6 percent, of bachelor's degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed, the highest share in at least 11 years.

As the AP notes, recent graduates are now more likely to work as "waiters, waitresses, bartenders and food-service helpers than as engineers, physicists, chemists and mathematicians combined."

By those measures, college grads are actually faring worse in the job market than the overall youth population.

Also: "When college graduates take a low-paid, low-skill job, they're probably displacing a less educated worker, For every underemployed college degree holder, there's a decent chance someone with just a high school diploma is out of work entirely."

53% of Recent College Grads Are Jobless or Underemployed—How? - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic
And I'd wager a good percentage of them have student loans costing them $500-$600 a month.
And that would be why a min wage job would hurt.

Like my niece maybe who had to move back to her parents and work p/t jobs because all she can afford to pay is her student loan bill each month.
Couldn't find a job in her field..majored in women's studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Are these bachelors degrees in anything useful like science, engineering, business, or technology...like where there are actually open jobs that companies cant fill?
read the article:

53% of Recent College Grads Are Jobless or Underemployed—How? - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
I guess you were afraid to answer and let people know the truth about the article?

Quote:
The AP reports that students who graduated out of the sciences or other technical fields, such as accounting, were much less likely to be jobless or underemployed than humanities and arts graduates....a generic college degree used to be a valuable credential. Now that the market is flooded, diplomas count less, and specific skills count more. This means that, in many instances, associates and technical degrees may be more financially valuable than a liberal arts degree.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I'd wager a good percentage of them have student loans costing them $500-$600 a month.
And that would be why a min wage job would hurt.

Like my niece maybe who had to move back to her parents and work p/t jobs because all she can afford to pay is her student loan bill each month.
Couldn't find a job in her field..majored in women's studies.
"It's becoming the norm for young people to move back in with their parents. In fact, 53 percent of 18-to-24 year olds are living with their parents, and 85 percent of college seniors plan on moving back home after graduation.

More recent grads are employed as waiter/waitresses and bartenders than as engineers,physicists, chemists, and mathematicians combined."

Recent Graduates Live With Their Parents - Business Insider

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
"It's becoming the norm for young people to move back in with their parents. In fact, 53 percent of 18-to-24 year olds are living with their parents, and 85 percent of college seniors plan on moving back home after graduation.

More recent grads are employed as waiter/waitresses and bartenders than as engineers,physicists, chemists, and mathematicians combined."

Recent Graduates Live With Their Parents - Business Insider
And in your link...it's the basket weaver degrees that can't find work.
Well gee..color me surprised.
"Miscellaneous Fine Arts" and they can't find a job. Is there even a job for that degree ?

All I have to say is that there are some really lousy HS counselors out there.
Not only did they give bad advice but encouraged these kids to take on huge debt.

Here's another good major.."Agricultural communication"
What job is that for..Dr Doolittle talking to the animals ?

Basket weaving will get you nowhere as millions are finding out. And it comes with a cost.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And in your link...it's the basket weaver degrees that can't find work.
Well gee..color me surprised.
"Miscellaneous Fine Arts" and they can't find a job. Is there even a job for that degree ?

All I have to say is that there are some really lousy HS counselors out there.
Not only did they give bad advice but encouraged these kids to take on huge debt.

Here's another good major.."Agricultural communication"
What job is that for..Dr Doolittle talking to the animals ?

Basket weaving will get you nowhere as millions are finding out. And it comes with a cost.
I don't disagree with you on that --- I often wonder what all the counselors are telling these kids.

Unemployment rates by college major :

1. Clinical psychology 19.5%
2. Miscellaneous fine arts 16.2%
3. United States history 15.1%
4. Library science 15.0%
5. (tie) Military technologies; educational psychology 10.9%
6. Architecture 10.6%
7. Industrial & organizational psychology 10.4%
8. Miscellaneous psychology 10.3%
9. Linguistics & comparative literature 10.2%
10. (tie) Visual & performing arts; engineering & industrial management 9.2%

25 college majors with the highest unemployment rates - CBS News

Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM

College Majors with lowest unemployment rates:

1. Medical technology technician 1.4%
2. Nursing 2.2%
3. Treatment therapy professions 2.6%
4. Medical assisting services 2.9%
5. Agriculture production & management 3.0%
6. Industrial production technologies 3.1%
7. Pharmacy 3.2%
8. Communications & disorders sciences 3.3%
9. Elementary education 3.6%
10. Special needs education 3.6%

25 college majors with lowest unemployment rates - CBS News

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Or this lady: "Pamela Waldron, who after eight years at KFC makes $7.75 an hour, which typically amounts to around $10,000 a year."
It's NYC I'm sure this lady could have found other employment that paid more money. What kind of a fool works at a fast food restaurant for that long? These are not supposed to be "careers" they are temporary jobs meant to give a young person some work experience so they can move on to greener pastures. It's called working your way up the food chain.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
About 1.5 million, or 53.6 percent, of bachelor's degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed, the highest share in at least 11 years.
I see those Democrat policies that have been forced on us for the last four years have worked out really well for them.

And you guys re-elected the stooge, instead of rightfully replacing him with someone who's got a proven track record of building economies. I think I named the wrong person as the stooge...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
College Majors with lowest unemployment rates...
You've been extremely active in this thread, yet you totally ignored my challenge to start your own franchise business and pay your employees $15 per hour while raking in your millions.

I'm completely shocked. Completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies