Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
1-You develop a skill, idea or product that someone will pay for.
2-The value of your skill, idea or product will be determined organically by the market.
3-No government program can alter that.
1-Done.
2-Done, although with realization that competition exists in a cheaper market.
3-Growth in China and India disproves that. Countries that emphasize on social nature of the society and economy also disprove that.

Forget "intelligence". None of that requires more than a rudimentary knowledge of the surroundings. Could you, and your kind, accept that? Is that your idea of intelligence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Ask those who choose not to do what it takes for themselves. Why am I, as a taxpayer and one who has always provided for MY family always asked what to do with those who won't? Do I want starving children? Of course not...but why don't you ask THEIR parents?

I realize that there are some people who simply cannot do things....mentally and physically challenged should be taken care of. (I don't consider alcoholism and drug abuse as a disability.)

Because 70% of the people in the country in which you are a citizen fundamentally disagree with what you are saying. 70% of people, in a center right country, like social security, they like medicare. They don't want to see people die without healthcare, they don't want to see people starve to death, and they don't want people to go without a roof over their head.

So, we have to pay for these things. The conservative mantle shouldn't be repeal, it should be pay.

And you get a lot of good from those people tax dollars, highways, electrical grids, safe food, safety from foreign invasion, etc.

So get off the "I provide" high horse. I pay taxes, and I pay for far more then I get individually. But the life I enjoy is paid for, in part, by everyone.

And heres the thing, I'm not saying we can't cut some benefits, restrict them, make them far more unlikeable to be on for long periods of time. We can, and we should. But the biggest budget items, 90% of our budget is defense, medicare, and social security. People don't want medicare or social security cut or changed in a significant way. So you are left with three choices. A) Change peoples minds, which no one has been able to do for the last 70 years, and I doubt you have a different argument now. B) Continue to ***** and whine about something you can't change and watch the country go down the tubes by not paying for these things, or C) Find another country.

The choice is yours.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Assumes facts not in evidence.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Life expectancy was extended by capitalism.

People go into research because they can make a lot of money.

YOU are at fault if YOU didn't make the right choices that would allow you to join in.
No, it was extended by massive government programs and spending during war times and the fac that we whipped out the worlds manufacturing sector in Europe during WWII and the world had no where else to turn for manufactured goods.

30 years later, when the world recovered, we started having issues. Luckily, we built up massive wealth in those 30 years, and its floated us until today.

Capitalism didn't extend life expectancy, war did.

Capitalism drove down life expectancy, during the depression, capitailism run amuck, lowered life expectancy.

If you want to let people die who fall on bad luck, or make bad decisions, or can't make it on their own, simply say so. Thats what happend before 1939. Since then, we've had a slightly more evolved sense of life. We think we should provide the essentials for those who can't do it for themselves, or for those who fall until they can get up on their own. Should we make it easy to live on the bottom? No, rice and eggs are good enough to survive on, not coke and candy, with cable TV. But ending all support is not what the country as a whole has decided to do.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Explain how some jobs are not worth more than $5. an hour, but you're forced to pay minimum wage?
It's a moral issue. You wouldn't understand.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Yes, Democrats think we are in full recovery right now.
No. They don't.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Life expectancy was extended by capitalism.
Actually no. Life expectancy was extended primarily by government investment in clean water and government funded research into communicable diseases and vaccines, followed by eradication programs by the CDC, the World Health Organization and UNICEF.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Noted.

By the way....you may want to play the book Atlas Shrugged while you're recuperating. Maybe some reality will sink in!
Most adolescent boys lose their affection for Ayn Rand about the same time they discover that sex with real women is better than masturbation.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
It's really quite simple.

You develop a skill, idea or product that someone will pay for.

The value of your skill, idea or product will be determined organically by the market.

No government program can alter that.
You clearly don't understand the economy, because the government can and does alter it (for better or for worse). A pure laissez faire system like you describe doesn't exist anywhere, and never has in modern times.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM

990 posts, read 939,551 times
Quote:
It's really quite simple.

You develop a skill, idea or product that someone will pay for.

The value of your skill, idea or product will be determined organically by the market.

No government program can alter that.

So you want Gas to go up in price? Because the price is kept artifically low by government subsidies...

As are food prices...don't you have any clue about the US Economy? The majority of things you use on a daily basis are subsidized by the US Government.

And what about patents and unfair business practices? Do you think companies should be allowed to become monopolies?

Considering that you people generally have never studied economics, you don't really have any clue how an economic system functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies