Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
"There's no war on Christmas".

Really?
How do those photos prove anything? Should I also post the many many examples of people using the word "Christmas" in relation to the trees... oh wait, I already did post two (from my own neighborhood). So what? You want 100% of commercial ads to use that specific word? Tough cookies! We still do have freedom of speech in this country, and people are free to call it whatever they want - and unless you can prove MORE people are calling it a Holiday Tree, this is all moot anyway.

I've heard people refer to menorahs as candelabras, and have personally attended a few "holiday parties" centered around Chanukah. But you don't see me getting my panties in a twist over it, do you? And don't repeat your line "Christians are the majority" as a response, since that has zero to do with my point.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Yes, and what about the rest of what I said?
Why don't you try being more like Christ, instead of trying to get people fired when they don't say merry Christmas?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
The one thing I'm getting from this entire thread: A bunch of nonreligious/anti-religious people claiming that Christmas isn't in danger, while in the same breath bashing it. It's about like saying you're here to protect me while pointing a gun at me. You can't bash a religion/the religious while claiming it is/they are in no danger, and be credible to anyone but another anti-religious zealot.

Does anyone else see the irony in this?

You all deserve credit for doing fantastic Obi Wan Kenobi impressions.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The one thing I'm getting from this entire thread: A bunch of nonreligious/anti-religious people claiming that Christmas isn't in danger, while in the same breath bashing it. It's about like saying you're here to protect me while pointing a gun at me. You can't bash a religion/the religious while claiming it is/they are in no danger, and be credible to anyone but another anti-religious zealot.

Nope. I don't see any irony in that, because not a single person here has suggested "banning" Christmas or the word... in fact, I don't even see many people "bashing" Christianity/Christians. I certainly haven't done that, have I? If you think an age-old holiday is in danger, simply because some people don't like Christians, I would urge you to read up on Jewish history. We've been bashed and hated for thousands of years, and yet our holidays and traditions still flourish. Why are some people so threatened by dissenting views?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I say "Happy Holidays" just to pi ss off Christians. Usually it doesn't, but then I don't know any CD Christians in real life, just normal ones who aren't insane.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by steven_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nope. I don't see any irony in that, because not a single person here has suggested "banning" Christmas or the word... in fact, I don't even see many people "bashing" Christianity/Christians. I certainly haven't done that, have I? If you think an age-old holiday is in danger, simply because some people don't like Christians, I would urge you to read up on Jewish history. We've been bashed and hated for thousands of years, and yet our holidays and traditions still flourish. Why are some people so threatened by dissenting views?
Please point out where I said "banning." You also became offended even though I didn't point to a single post. Why is that? I get the impression you felt threatened, when all I did was point out the hypocrisy of a few (unnamed) posters.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Please point out where I said "banning."
You were equating people speaking against Christianity/Christmas with the "war on Christmas," which is about paranoid folks thinking somebody is trying to ban their holiday. If there is no connection, I see little irony in your statement - that is all.

Quote:
You also became offended even though I didn't point to a single post. Why is that? I get the impression you felt threatened, when all I did was point out the hypocrisy of a few (unnamed) posters.
Not offended nor threatened, I was just chiming in with my response... that is the point of a forum, no?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I say "Happy Holidays" just to pi ss off Christians. Usually it doesn't, but then I don't know any CD Christians in real life, just normal ones who aren't insane.
LOL... as a fellow Bay Area-ite, I totally agree! (with the last part)

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How do those photos prove anything? Should I also post the many many examples of people using the word "Christmas" in relation to the trees... oh wait, I already did post two (from my own neighborhood). So what? You want 100% of commercial ads to use that specific word? Tough cookies! We still do have freedom of speech in this country, and people are free to call it whatever they want - and unless you can prove MORE people are calling it a Holiday Tree, this is all moot anyway.

I've heard people refer to menorahs as candelabras, and have personally attended a few "holiday parties" centered around Chanukah. But you don't see me getting my panties in a twist over it, do you? And don't repeat your line "Christians are the majority" as a response, since that has zero to do with my point.
The photos? Right at the top of his photos it says CHRISTMAS trees TWICE...LOLOL!!! Guess in his anger and bitterness he missed THAT....LOL!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:

You all deserve credit for doing fantastic Obi Wan Kenobi impressions.
Where did you see posters bashing Christmas?

It is NOT inconsistant to state the FACT that there is no war on Christmas and either like Christmas or not like Christmas.

Some posters like Christmas and some don't .

Not liking it or not celebrating it is not bashing it.
And even if it was so what?

If you really want to see someone bash the total stupidity of Christmas hang around, I'll post tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies