Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times

Advertisements

Well-known Ben Stein (A Jew) appeared on Fox News today and spoke about 'War on Christmas'. He said that Christmas is a Christian holiday, and is a beautiful holiday to celebrate the birth of a peaceful, loving, and most influential man who walked on this Earth 2,000 years ago. This is after some atheists groups and leaders who have showed their arrogance toward the holiday, wants to abolish Christmas from public, and wants the holiday not observed by the federal due to "separation of church and state" despite that Christmas has been ruled as constitutional by the congress, and has been observed as a national holiday for centuries, and is today the most popular and widely known and celebrated holiday. 96% of Americans celebrate Christmas, whether for religious or secular reason.

Watch the news clip and read more about it on http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-stein...ry-and-bitter/

Ben Stein is telling the truth. This is very sad what few intolerant minorities are trying to destroy and take away the cultural and traditional religious holiday from us...

Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
I don't celebrate "corporate" holidays. Religion has no basis in my decision.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Ben Stein lost all serious credibility with his pathetic creationist film a few years ago.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM

345 posts, read 643,267 times
I see Christmas as a Christian holiday that was warped from a Pagan holiday that has become a grand show of consumerism for many. I would best describe myself as Agnostic, but if people want to put up decorations in public, I'm not opposed. Doesn't directly impact me. There's nothing inherently offensive about Christmas decorations and symbols, and if people get butt-hurt over it, oh well, their problem.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Ben Stein lost all serious credibility with his pathetic creationist film a few years ago.
Only to Atheists. Funny thing abouit Christians, Jews and Muslims... we all believe in creation. That makes the creationist view quite credible to most of the planet.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I don't celebrate "corporate" holidays. Religion has no basis in my decision.
Nobody cares what you do.

Which, of course, is the point.

We would appreciate you giving us the same lack of concern.

Typical of liberals, though. They don't want to acknowledge something and expect everybody else to follow suit, just to pacify them.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
I see Christmas as a Christian holiday that was warped from a Pagan holiday that has become a grand show of consumerism for many. I would best describe myself as Agnostic, but if people want to put up decorations in public, I'm not opposed. Doesn't directly impact me. There's nothing inherently offensive about Christmas decorations and symbols, and if people get butt-hurt over it, oh well, their problem.
A very good post. My sentiments exactly. I try and keep the Christ in Christmas but, I also see it as a holiday for families coming together and acts of kindness to others during this spirit filled time. It can be a good thing. Too much consumerism, yes, but it beats anything else we have going during that time......and most people do seem to draw together......

Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Only to Atheists. Funny thing abouit Christians, Jews and Muslims... we all believe in creation. That makes the creationist view quite credible to most of the planet.
I have never thought about it this way. Another good post.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 PM

11,259 posts, read 11,028,294 times
I've been friends with several atheists over the years, and I found most of them to be relatively tolerant of holiday festivities and cheer. It seems to be the militant atheists that have the issues (and CD has its fair share). It must drive them completely ape sh*t to hear Christmas music in every store in the mall or wherever else they are shopping or doing whatever they do during the holiday season. The constant array of nativity figurines and decorations must drive them up a wall as well. If I was as angry as some of them seem to be about this time of the year, I'd probably barricade myself in the house until New Years.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Nobody cares what you do.

Which, of course, is the point.

We would appreciate you giving us the same lack of concern.

Typical of liberals, though. They don't want to acknowledge something and expect everybody else to follow suit, just to pacify them.
First of all, I'm a Libertarian! Secondly, when did I ever expect others to follow suit? I'm not looking to pacify anyone. I simply stated my opinion. If that gets your panties in a bunch, TFB!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.