Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The one thing I'm getting from this entire thread: A bunch of nonreligious/anti-religious people claiming that Christmas isn't in danger, while in the same breath bashing it. It's about like saying you're here to protect me while pointing a gun at me. You can't bash a religion/the religious while claiming it is/they are in no danger, and be credible to anyone but another anti-religious zealot.

Does anyone else see the irony in this?

You all deserve credit for doing fantastic Obi Wan Kenobi impressions.
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y Well said. Thank you!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Christmas is a national holiday. Other minority holiday that are Anti-Christmas celebrated during Christmas season are Kwanzaa and Hanukkah.

Minorities keep their cults to themselves? Sure they do. Come to New York area with large Jewish minority, and then talk. The whole word of "holiday" has been changed instead of Christmas to favor the minority.

Many non-Christians have actually vandalized nativity scenes from private places. Google!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Do you have any proof that a jesus guy ever existed.
There's no Roman records of him.

Proof, it goes a long way.
There are plenty and enough scientific and historical evidence that Jesus of Nazareth existed. However, we cannot proof he was God, neither could anyone proof he wasn't either. Google is your friend, plenty of resources out there, including non-Christian websites. This is off topic anyway.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
I see Christmas as a Christian holiday that was warped from a Pagan holiday that has become a grand show of consumerism for many. I would best describe myself as Agnostic, but if people want to put up decorations in public, I'm not opposed. Doesn't directly impact me. There's nothing inherently offensive about Christmas decorations and symbols, and if people get butt-hurt over it, oh well, their problem.
I feel pretty much the same.

I dislike the rampant consumerism that is generated but I do enjoy getting together with family - we tend to keep gifts to an absolute minimum and just focus on having a nice time, eating some good food and generally enjoying the season.

I have no real issue at all with decorations - other than a preference for the more tasteful variety! Not a big fan of gigantic flashing Santas.....

Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How do those photos prove anything? Should I also post the many many examples of people using the word "Christmas" in relation to the trees... oh wait, I already did post two (from my own neighborhood). So what? You want 100% of commercial ads to use that specific word? Tough cookies! We still do have freedom of speech in this country, and people are free to call it whatever they want - and unless you can prove MORE people are calling it a Holiday Tree, this is all moot anyway.

I've heard people refer to menorahs as candelabras, and have personally attended a few "holiday parties" centered around Chanukah. But you don't see me getting my panties in a twist over it, do you? And don't repeat your line "Christians are the majority" as a response, since that has zero to do with my point.
Although I do admit and understand that there are many products and signs saying "Christmas", however there are still some stores, products, and signs that avoid it when referring to Christmas, which is ridiculous and insulting. It has to be 100% Christmas, NOT holidays!

Yes, they have freedom of speech to put and use whatever you want, but then don't expect us majority to purchase anything from those stores. We will boycott them! There are websites saying Christmas friendly, moderate, and unfriendly Christmas stores.
No matter how much I prove you, you still don't get happy. Open your eyes more, go to many different stores, and then come back. Holiday is more dominant on signage than Christmas.

Hanukkah is NOT a national holiday, and America is not a Jewish nation. Don't tell me about it because only less than 2% celebrate it, and its not even a major holiday for Jews.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The photos? Right at the top of his photos it says CHRISTMAS trees TWICE...LOLOL!!! Guess in his anger and bitterness he missed THAT....LOL!
I saw them, and I already commented on it above.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I feel pretty much the same.

I dislike the rampant consumerism that is generated but I do enjoy getting together with family - we tend to keep gifts to an absolute minimum and just focus on having a nice time, eating some good food and generally enjoying the season.

I have no real issue at all with decorations - other than a preference for the more tasteful variety! Not a big fan of gigantic flashing Santas.....
I assume you live in England. Be honest, don't you only see Christmas signs and greetings there, and no silly "holidays". Holidays in British English means vacation.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Christian, but I would prefer for the government to be non-partial to any religion or denomination. I try not to mix politics and religion. For me, the two don't mix well.
Sure you are Christian...

Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
He was the most influential man to CHRISTIANS... to us Jewish people, he was nothing more than a man. A notable man, perhaps, but no more notable than the other Jewish men I mentioned. Should we celebrate their births too?

No I shouldn't, and kindly stop telling me what to do. You wouldn't like me telling YOU what to do or whom to honor, would you? I know you hate freedom, but thankfully we still do have it in this country.
No, Jesus is the most famous person who have ever lived on Earth. The bible is the most read and sold book in the world, and there are billions of them out there. Many famous people were inspired by Christ. More and more Jews will come out to honor Jesus... It's a beginning

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies