Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Why or why not?

If not, why do lefties feel as though health insurance is?

There are many, many people who suffer financially after the death of a bread winner (for you lefties, a bread winner is someone who performs a duty or task for monetary gain....aka a "job") because they neglected to plan.

Who is responsible for those people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well, now that we have health insurance done and out of the way, let's move on to the next new "right".

Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Social Security.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Social Security.
And, in what way is Social Security going to do anything? If the surviving spouse is old enough to retire, ok, but what if not? Disability?

A woman that has been confined to a wheel chair for the last 7 years has been trying to get disability for the last 7 years. She's on her second law firm. DENIED! DENIED! DENIED! That does a lot of good, doesn't it?

A guy with three small kids was rear-ended at a traffic light. After three back surgeries, all the doctors have told him he will never work as a mechanic again. Disability? DENIED, three years and counting.

Another woman has restricted circulation. In one leg, the blood vessels are almost completely blocked. Doctors say the condition is irreversible. She's not even putting in for disability because by the time it comes through, she'll probably be dead anyhow.

Yet, when I was signing up for my retirement, a young couple with a three-year-old daughter were taking turns dancing with the girl and seemed to be the picture of health, and both were collecting disability. I was unable to see anything about them that was disabled. A guy, missing an arm at the shoulder was getting DENIED. I've seen other guys that are collecting (and have been for quite some time) that are holding down full-time jobs in construction.

So, if the "breadwinner" dies at about age 45, and the spouse is near, or the same age, what is Social Security going to do? Please tell us.

Social Security might do some good if Bin Laden were to light a fire under their butts.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
And, in what way is Social Security going to do anything? If the surviving spouse is old enough to retire, ok, but what if not? Disability?

A woman that has been confined to a wheel chair for the last 7 years has been trying to get disability for the last 7 years. She's on her second law firm. DENIED! DENIED! DENIED! That does a lot of good, doesn't it?

A guy with three small kids was rear-ended at a traffic light. After three back surgeries, all the doctors have told him he will never work as a mechanic again. Disability? DENIED, three years and counting.

Another woman has restricted circulation. In one leg, the blood vessels are almost completely blocked. Doctors say the condition is irreversible. She's not even putting in for disability because by the time it comes through, she'll probably be dead anyhow.

Yet, when I was signing up for my retirement, a young couple with a three-year-old daughter were taking turns dancing with the girl and seemed to be the picture of health, and both were collecting disability. I was unable to see anything about them that was disabled. A guy, missing an arm at the shoulder was getting DENIED. I've seen other guys that are collecting (and have been for quite some time) that are holding down full-time jobs in construction.

So, if the "breadwinner" dies at about age 45, and the spouse is near, or the same age, what is Social Security going to do? Please tell us.

Social Security might do some good if Bin Laden were to light a fire under their butts.
Simple term life..enough to cover funeral expenses is NOT expensive.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Unless of course folks are thinking of proposing million dollar policies and having the government set up government pools and subsidizing premiums.

Wouldn't take but a simple amendment to Obamacare to add life insurance.

Then we can move onto car insurance for those that have cars but can't afford good policies.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Why or why not?
No. No form of insurance is a right. It is a commercial product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
We don't. We feel health care is a right. Health insurance is just one way to move in that direction.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Why or why not?

There are many, many people who suffer financially after the death of a bread winner (for you lefties, a bread winner is someone who performs a duty or task for monetary gain....aka a "job") because they neglected to plan.

Personally I'm glad the lefties think someone else should take care of this. My dh would not purchase life insurance, for years, because I was the primary bread winner. Then he had three heart attacks and I lost my engineering job. Fortunately, my company purchased a guaranteed continuation of beneifits policy so we were able to continue the life insurance I had on him through them ($100K for a cost of nearly $500/month ) so I won't lose the house if he dies but I'm SOL when it comes to living expenses, BUT, my kids will get social security and grants to go to college. On a teacher's salary, I'll probably qualify for other government help too...

I do, however, agree with you in theory but one has to remember that the beneficiaries of a life insurance policy can no longer force one to be purchased. I could not insure my dh (If I could have I would have back when he was healthy) without his consent. He refused to give it. So the question is should the kids and I suffer for that decision on his part?

Health insurance is different because the person using the policy is the person buying the policy. It's for the benefit of the purchaser not their heirs. I would consider health insurance to be more of a responsibility of the person using it than life insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies