Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times

Advertisements

The Christian Left is alive and well and we are not atheists. That's just silly. We don't use the Bible and our religion as a political weapon the way the Christian Right does, so we don't make the news as often. Here's a website you might be interested in. They post a lot on FB if friend them.
The Christian Left Welcomes You - TheChristianLeft.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
We hear entirely too much from the hate-mongering religious Left, they're called Atheists, and boy do they hate Christians.
You have some serious issues. Going by your statements, you also have absolutely no hint of an idea regarding Christianity.

I know who you are: You are the one person in a crowd of thousands who makes the entire group look really, really bad. You are the bad apple. The bad seed that adulterates the loving message that Christianity attempts to put forward.

I would guess that the only reason that you are such a religious zealot is because you are such an incredibly flawed sinner that you hope for some kind of redemption by being this way. All the while completely missing the point of the doctrine you proclaim to uphold.

I rarely feel truly sorry for people. You fit the bill, though. I hope you can let go of all your hatred and find love somewhere.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
No.

They don't.
They don't hate Christians. They just hate to hear the Christian message said or shown anywhere where they can see/hear it. They would completely silence the Christian message if they had it in their power to do so. And even when they don't have it in their power, it doesn't mean they won't give it a try.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,053 times
"Left" is a broad, abstract term. Its easy to think "left" or "liberal voting" is one group of demographics but its really not. There are socially liberal, or socially "left" who would lean towards a less organized spirituality, or non organized religion, or agnostic, etc.

There are also a great number of "liberal" or left voters who are socially conservative, more likely to be involved in organized religion, such as many urban African Americans and Latinos, who vote "left", but for fiscal reasons. Basically, they are religious as the OP is asking, but not necessarily "left" in the way the term "liberal" is being used to describe a socially left voting individuals.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
We hear entirely too much from the hate-mongering religious Left, they're called Atheists, and boy do they hate Christians.
No atheists aren't the religious left, they are the secular left.

I would consider myself secular right. I'm not religious but am very fiscally conservative. I would consider the religious left my polar opposite, my political enemies if you will. I also feel they are misguided.. fiscal liberalism has and will continue to destroy traditional values in this country.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
They just hate to hear the Christian message said or shown anywhere where they can see/hear it..
No.

They don't.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:

Atheists aren't religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
often people forget that african americans are far more religious, on average, than white people. fundamentalist rural Christians and urban black church-goers have a great deal in common. anyhow, that is a huge segment of the 'religious left'
True. But black Christians are conservative on theological issues, while liberal on political issues. White Christians are conservative on both. And the vilification of the religious left by the Christian right is an illustration of how little white and black evangelicals even talk to each other. I think if there was more reaction between the two groups of Christians, white Christians wouldn't be so intolerant about politics.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would consider myself secular right. I'm not religious but am very fiscally conservative. I would consider the religious left my polar opposite, my political enemies if you will. I also feel they are misguided.. fiscal liberalism has and will continue to destroy traditional values in this country.
Well, slavery was once a traditional value. Segregation was too. Women not being able to vote was too. Countless "traditional values" have proven over the history of man to be lesser values for society. There are no absolutes, but this general idea of "traditional values" being the source of wholesomeness and what is right is a complete fallacy. The destruction of traditional values is not always a bad thing, and in MANY cases throughout history has been not just a good but a GREAT thing.

What fiscal liberalism destroys is budgets. And by the way, exhorbitant defense spending to police the globe is part of fiscal liberalism- spend obscene sums of money to give world citizens freedom on the American taxpayer dime, same way spending obscene sums of money to give American citizens economic perks on the American taxpayer dime is considered fiscal liberalism. But in all the talks you hear about liberal spending, very rarely do you hear people willing to call policing of the globe for the liberal spending that it is. There are many fiscal liberals today calling themselves conservative. They want to spend as much as Democrats and likely even more, just on THEIR pet initiatives.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
If by "religious left" we mean Christian denominations with a tendency toward ecumenicism, a concern for the Social Gospel and social justice, and a preference for inclusivity, then we're clearly talking about the Mainline Protestant churches: Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Congregationalist, etc.

These are the Christian churches which your grandparents belonged to, the ones almost every President of the United States belonged to, the denomination of virtually every grand old stone-built church in every American city. Collectively, they are the historical faith of the American people, and woven into the fabric of American society to such an extent that perhaps you simply no longer hear them because you've always heard them.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
They just hate to hear the Christian message said or shown anywhere where they can see/hear it. They would completely silence the Christian message if they had it in their power to do so. And even when they don't have it in their power, it doesn't mean they won't give it a try.
I think this borders on paranoia and, of course, is not reflective of reality. As I understand it, Atheists neither hate Christians nor Christianity. They simply can not believe in an omnipotent being. The term itself means nothing other than that.

They also do not believe that ANY government agency (and by extension, anything that is public) should endorse any one religion, let alone give preference to one but not others. As such, the hope is simply that government stops pushing religious messages onto a very diverse population.

Separation of church and state is NOT the hallmark of being an atheist. It is the hallmark of being a true American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies