Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times

Advertisements

I live in a county that is through and through GOP. It's a county that GOP pols don't campaign in becuase they know they will win nor do Dem pols knowing they will lose. We know have an issue were a private company wants to build a land fill. They say it will bring 25 jobs and 1.6 million iin revenue. Of course, that is over 30 years which mean about 50k per year (a fraction of the annual county budget). The county is mostly rural with pockets of suburbia. The landill will be in a rural part of the county dominated mostly by farmers and ranchers with some residents. This area is against the land fill citing potential environamental damage not to mention a possible erduction in their land value.

Meanwhile in the suburbia portion of the county their exists a landfill about five miles ways. This landfill currenly is not near capcity and in fact by most reports is about 50 years away from that. The company wanting to build the new landfill of course is saying that the landfill could eventually become 300 ft high. This would of course be an eyesore and therefor lower the values of homes in suburbia.

Of course, the last piece of the puzzle is who would use the new landfill when the existing one is not near capcaity. The obvious answer is that the county would import garbage from outside the county. The company tyhat wants to build the new landfill has not disquakified that possiblity.

We now have two GOP areas at odds within the same county. Both have sought assistance from the EPA in their quest. I know, the GOP supossedly hates the EPA. You lknow thosew damn tree huggers.

It seems to me there is not as much difference between the GOP and the Dem. It is not that one is against taxes or the environment or government regulations as much as where the money is spent and who is being regulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 AM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Nobody likes icky garbage.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I live in a county that is through and through GOP. It's a county that GOP pols don't campaign in becuase they know they will win nor do Dem pols knowing they will lose. We know have an issue were a private company wants to build a land fill. They say it will bring 25 jobs and 1.6 million iin revenue. Of course, that is over 30 years which mean about 50k per year (a fraction of the annual county budget). The county is mostly rural with pockets of suburbia. The landill will be in a rural part of the county dominated mostly by farmers and ranchers with some residents. This area is against the land fill citing potential environamental damage not to mention a possible erduction in their land value.

Meanwhile in the suburbia portion of the county their exists a landfill about five miles ways. This landfill currenly is not near capcity and in fact by most reports is about 50 years away from that. The company wanting to build the new landfill of course is saying that the landfill could eventually become 300 ft high. This would of course be an eyesore and therefor lower the values of homes in suburbia.

Of course, the last piece of the puzzle is who would use the new landfill when the existing one is not near capcaity. The obvious answer is that the county would import garbage from outside the county. The company tyhat wants to build the new landfill has not disquakified that possiblity.

We now have two GOP areas at odds within the same county. Both have sought assistance from the EPA in their quest. I know, the GOP supossedly hates the EPA. You lknow thosew damn tree huggers.

It seems to me there is not as much difference between the GOP and the Dem. It is not that one is against taxes or the environment or government regulations as much as where the money is spent and who is being regulated.
That is a interesting story and by the facts that you presented I would be against the new landfill because they are entertaining the idea of imported garbage. And it is a problem that does not need to be addressed for 50 years, only creating 50 jobs, and low revenue for the county. Keep the old landfill and tell the other company to take their garbage somewhere else it is not worth the eye sore or enviromental risk.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:

The conservatives love big government. They lie about being fiscally conservative or wanting smaller government, blah, blah, blah.

The only thing conservatives want is lower taxes and to cut government spending on groups of people they hate. That is it.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM

753 posts, read 728,385 times
Quote:

Not
In
My
Back
Yard

The free market reigns ... until its reign spoils the view of its champions ...

Of course, neither free-marketeers nor Republicans have cornered the market on NIMBYism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies