Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I have a feeling this slimy GOP move will end up costing them.
How so? It's good for people to have a right to choose. Why should they be forced to join a union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
If unions are so great, then why are they worried about the "Right to work" without joining the union?

Isn't everyone scrambling to join a union so they can give some of their pay to it?

Let me paint you a different picture.

I was station in Groton, Ct. My wife wanted a part time job, just to earn a bit of extra money, so she went to work for Caldors, a department store.

She started at just over minimum wage, 20 hours a week. HOWEVER, it was a "Closed Shop", so she was FORCED to join a union, she didn't want to join.

So, after taxes the union dues took almost 1/3rd of her check. Tell me again, why unions are so wonderful, that you have to be forced to join them. Shouldn't everyone WANT to join them?

If you don't WANT to join a union, it should be your call, not the Union's call.

BTW, My wife quit, she wanted no part of a union.
Sounds like BS to me. As A steelworker I paid $40 a month and that was the best $40 I ever spent. One third of your pay for union dues? Nonsense. That being said,why did your wife only want to be paid minimum wage?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
fixed it for you
Maybe some manufacturing will return in the absence of thuggery and wage distortion.
Really? CEOs will disappear making thuggery and wage distortion disappear...I don't think so.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
If unions are so great, then why are they worried about the "Right to work" without joining the union?

Isn't everyone scrambling to join a union so they can give some of their pay to it?

Let me paint you a different picture.

I was station in Groton, Ct. My wife wanted a part time job, just to earn a bit of extra money, so she went to work for Caldors, a department store.

She started at just over minimum wage, 20 hours a week. HOWEVER, it was a "Closed Shop", so she was FORCED to join a union, she didn't want to join.

So, after taxes the union dues took almost 1/3rd of her check. Tell me again, why unions are so wonderful, that you have to be forced to join them. Shouldn't everyone WANT to join them?

If you don't WANT to join a union, it should be your call, not the Union's call.

BTW, My wife quit, she wanted no part of a union.
Your tiny little "personal anecdote" proves nothing. General history is much more important......but your wife did have an option and she used it, she wasn't forced into anything....

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Wow, I have to tell you, this average American really got screwed by the UAW in the big union bailout. My GM bonds were toasted in the bankruptcy so that the UAW benefits trust could get about ten times what it was entitled to. This after decades of paying too much for automobiles because the UAW had obtained wages two or three times market value.

Union power has historically hurt everyone except its own members. When union wages go up, everybody else's costs go up. Not a thing wrong with paying market value for labor on mutually agreeable terms--like 93% of the private sector does it.
So you think driving down wages will lower costs? Whose? Middle class Americans will pay less for goods if their wages go down?

REALLY!???

Keep listening to the Righties, they're doing so well....

Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Unions no longer serve the purpose they once did. They do more harm than good to this country today. The cost, the benefits, the entitlements they pursue hurt this nation more and more.
Tell that to the families of the 29 miners killed at the Massey Energy mine in West Virginia. The miners had no way to address their safety concerns. Anyone who complained was fired.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default What garbage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, and historically, when Union wages go up EVERYONE'S wages go up which is why Republicans want to destroy unions...unions give the average middle class American way too much power to earn a decent living. People who earn a good living aren't desperate and Republicans want Americans so desperate that they will accept any crapwages so all profits go to the top......which causes a really bad economy.
That's baloney and you know it. Unions force wages higher than their market value, which drives jobs elswhere (usually over seas).

People pushing buttons shouldn't be making $40/hr PLUS huge benefits. I've seen the GM plant here in operation. Those people hardly move!

Wages forced too high by union demands make US companies uncompetitive. They force consumer prices up as well.

Republicans like fair wages, not bloated wages. If you can't live on the wages you are paid, you need to improve your skills and seek a better job. Demanding more money for the same work (or less work, as is usually the case with unions) isn't even moral!

This Democrat meme that businesses are the enemy of the emplyee is a sickness. It is the clenched fisted employee, shaking that fist at the employer, who pays his wage, and gives him the job. Bite the hand that feeds!

I have in my entire life never had a problem getting a raise, because I have always worked hard, done my job to the best of my ability, and showed my boss that I deserved an increase. I have never been let down, and have always been promoted as I gained experience. I went from a technician on the bench, to field service tech, and then was promoted into the marketing department as a supervisor over the "order desk."

For those with no desire to work hard and advance, you will be stagnant, with stagnant wages. You don't deserve more "just because." You have to earn more.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 12-08-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Tyranny vs Liberty.

Tyranny is when you are coerced into doing something against your will. For example....how is the freedom? "You may work here, but ONLY if you join our group and pay us monthly."

Liberty is freedom of choice (you lefties are all about "choice" when it comes to killing babies, right?). You get hired and are asked "Would you like to join the group? If not, that's fine."

Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:

Do you really think it helps your argument to base the whole thing on a lie?

Your wife was not forced to join a union. Nobody in the United States can be forced to join a union. The law prohibits it.

As for dues taking up one third of her paycheck? Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, and historically, when Union wages go up EVERYONE'S wages go up which is why Republicans want to destroy unions...unions give the average middle class American way too much power to earn a decent living. People who earn a good living aren't desperate and Republicans want Americans so desperate that they will accept any crapwages so all profits go to the top......which causes a really bad economy.
The power to earn a decent living entails preaparing oneself with marketable skills so that you're not dependent on a bunch of thugs employing wolf pack tactics to threaten employers. I watched my town crumble when the unions threatened the mills to the point where the mills closed and moved operations elsewhere. Does anyone remember a bakery business called Hostess? Yeah, they're gone too thanks to the unions. It's unemployment which contributes to a bad economy.

Unions were needed at one time. That time has passed and it's now proper to place them in the dustbin of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies