Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,856,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
They pay us for them actually.
Actually, Egypt does not pay, Egypt receives over $1 billion in military aid each year, and a few hundred million in economic aid each year. I beleive they are the second or third largest receivers of US foreign aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM

31,111 posts, read 22,155,492 times
Quote:
They pay us for them actually.
Some we have paid for, some they have bought. They have an assembly plant that produces them, even though some have been sourced from US plants.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,305,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Actually, Egypt does not pay, Egypt receives over $1 billion in military aid each year, and a few hundred million in economic aid each year. I beleive they are the second or third largest receivers of US foreign aid.

Ah well I can be wrong from time to time :-P

Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,253,608 times
Quote:
Yeah because obviously israel is still flying Messerschmitt's, and using bows and arrows .
And JT800's.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,499,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Which will be easy to do since we sell the second and third tier junk to our possible competitors.
I don't know if the planes should/could be called second and third tier junk. With that stated, an air force requires more than just the plane. Training, tactics, facilities, technical support, etc. are all necessary for an air force to be 'competitive'. Also, Israel uses these aircraft (albeit more advance, I'd expect) so the planes' operational characteristics will be understood - the first step towards defeating your enemy is knowing your enemy.

[i think Israel would hand Egypt its azz in any aerial engagement]

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,800,092 times
Quote:
I do not see why the US provides free military equipment to countries like Egypt. My guess it is part of the military-industrial complex as defense contractors are the only people benefitting from the deal.

Besides aircraft, they also have 1000 M1 tanks; I find it ridiculous that the US is financing the military of Egypt, and any country.

Can anyone state why the US needs to spend billions per year on military equipment for Egypt?
Lets try this one more time. Egypt gets $1.3 Billion per year per the US brokered treaty between Egypt and Israel. It is a pay off to protect US interests in relation to the Suez Canal and is not aid. It is in the form of a debit card to go military shopping in the US.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,124,329 times
Quote:
And JT800's.
Did you call your mommy on me...Im still waiting!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,856,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Lets try this one more time. Egypt gets $1.3 Billion per year per the US brokered treaty between Egypt and Israel. It is a pay off to protect US interests in relation to the Suez Canal and is not aid. It is in the form of a debit card to go military shopping in the US.
WHat is there to try? The US should not be giving away tax money to Egypt for military equipment period. If Egypt wants to purchase military equipment, then they should develop an economy and pay for it.

It is aid, part of the yearly military aid Egypt receives.

The canal is a nice excuse, but is just an excuse. The onyl reason I see arming Egypt is the continued cold war style build up that profits US defense contractors.

I rather see that money put towards the national debt. How does it make sense to borrow from China, to give to Egypt? It does not make sense, it just enriches the few with their hands in the bucket.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,992,438 times
Quote:
WHat is there to try? The US should not be giving away tax money to Egypt for military equipment period. If Egypt wants to purchase military equipment, then they should develop an economy and pay for it.

It is aid, part of the yearly military aid Egypt receives.

The canal is a nice excuse, but is just an excuse. The onyl reason I see arming Egypt is the continued cold war style build up that profits US defense contractors.

I rather see that money put towards the national debt. How does it make sense to borrow from China, to give to Egypt? It does not make sense, it just enriches the few with their hands in the bucket.
These comments are precious. America pays off and provides weapons all over the world. It is a NeoCon initiative that has been happening for decades. America is supplying either money, weapons, technology or medicine to nations all around the world, friend or foe in order to maintain am arms length relationship and hold leverage. It will never stop.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,446,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
More like a hedge against Iran. If Israel did ever attack Iran, Saudi Arabia would look the other way. Saudi Arabian leaders know Israel is no threat to them but Iran with it's competing version of Islam and threats against the Saudi Royal family are a threat.

Explaining the Iran-Saudi rivalry – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

good kill off the saudi's then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies