Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I thought the libs said that increasing the US supply would have no effect on oil prices?
I don't know what you "thought" you heard. Sorry. Nor do I care because I don't care for the partisan drivel

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes.
i remember when the price crashed in the mid 80s to around 1/3 what it was going for just a couple years earlier, and they capped most of the stripper wells in NM that were pumping less than 20 barrels a day. it cost more to maintain them than it was worth.
I think it was Shell who started extracting oil from the Rockies in the 80s and then gave up when OPEC crashed the oil price and made it unprofitable.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
So all the folks screaming drill baby drill that the left constantly made fun of were right? That means the left handed lunatics were wrong again like usual. LOL

Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think it was Shell who started extracting oil from the Rockies in the 80s and then gave up when OPEC crashed the oil price and made it unprofitable.
i knew some people who sunk most of their savings into property in parachute, CO near where that was supposed to happen. of course they took a serious beating.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM

335 posts, read 335,017 times
Quote:
i knew some people who sunk most of their savings into property in parachute, CO near where that was supposed to happen. of course they took a serious beating.
The oil shale deposits around Rifle (and Parachute, but Parachute is so small I doubt anyone has heard of it) are immense -- thousands of years worth of oil.

It will probably never come out of the ground. The stuff is impossible to deal with. There are enough less difficult shale deposits to tide us over until the technology becomes available to let us abandon oil entirely.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, that didn't go too well for the investors. I think the price of oil was around $40 per barrel back then.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
The oil shale deposits around Rifle (and Parachute, but Parachute is so small I doubt anyone has heard of it) are immense -- thousands of years worth of oil.

It will probably never come out of the ground. The stuff is impossible to deal with. There are enough less difficult shale deposits to tide us over until the technology becomes available to let us abandon oil entirely.
It will come out eventually when they figure out a way, or when getting it out the hard way is profitable because the price of oil is so high.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually if the price sinks too low, it may become unprofitable to extract oil. I guess the price will eventually find its place.

Exactly. As the price goes up, reserves that were once unprofitable to extract become economically viable....but the additional supply made available by the additional production drives pricing back down. It's an interesting dynamic.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM

335 posts, read 335,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Exactly. As the price goes up, reserves that were once unprofitable to exploit become economically viable....but the additional supply made available by the additional production drives pricing back down. It's an interesting dynamic.
High prices also stimulate investments, R&D, new technologies, conservation, substitution. The problem is that there is a lag between these things and the high prices, so the immediate effect of high oil prices is to depress the economy.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,978 times
Only problem I can see is the environmental degradation that oil extraction can cause.

I live in New Orleans and between oyster harvesting, upriver levees that dont allow silt runoff and the oil companies that have destroyed the wetlands and New Orleans natural protection against storms....if the oil companies feet are held to the fire and are forced to pay for ANY environmental damage then great. otherwise I'm happy to pay more for gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies