Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
A security guard is not a police officer. I understand his regular job is a sheriff, but at the time of the shooting he was not performing his police duties. He was in the employ of Walmart.

I am sure it was not her intent to 'run him over'. He put himself between the open door of the car (which apparently he grabbed so the driver could not close it) and the car itself. If someone has a gun in my face I'd be scared and try to get away, also.

It's his fault. He should not have put himself in harms way.
I hate to burst your little bubble and your make believe world of right and wrong, but, an officer of the law is never off duty... He is on duty 24 hours a day. Trying to get away from a bullet is just plain ignorance. If someone pulls out a gun, I guarantee you, you will NOT out run a bullet.

397 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
People like you, are why America is the way it is today....lets rehab them....no, wait that was tried, guess what...did not work....so played the game and lost..
Crime rate is way down but I don't expect people like you to know that. The shape America is in is much better crime wise.

Scared men with guns and hero complexes are becoming a real problem. Until one is made to pay this will only grow. It said she has a dad.

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
A security guard is not a police officer. I understand his regular job is a sheriff, but at the time of the shooting he was not performing his police duties. He was in the employ of Walmart.

I am sure it was not her intent to 'run him over'. He put himself between the open door of the car (which apparently he grabbed so the driver could not close it) and the car itself. If someone has a gun in my face I'd be scared and try to get away, also.

It's his fault. He should not have put himself in harms way.
He's a deputy. He is there to arrest people who commit crimes, such as shoplifting. Explain exactly how the situation would have been different had he happened to be an on duty police officer.

What a load of nonsensical bull crap.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Then he was off-duty and not working in the capacity of police officer. He was in the employ of Walmart.

Difference.

And not a laughing matter.
Law enforcement is a PROFESSION. Whether off-duty or not, they are always police officers. That's why Wal-Mart, Target, malls and other retail establishments hire police officers. Because they are always police officers. Because of insurance liability issues, hiring a police officer to provide security allows the retailer to take action against criminal activities. For instance, if the Hallmark store calls the mall manager's office to report someone exposing themselves in the Hallmark store, the mall can have it's off-duty police officer pursue and arrest the suspect. The mall may not be able to do that if their security doesn't include a police officer because they could be sued for unlawful detainment, and even if they are vindicated, the costs of litigation can be extensive, so insurance companies will require a police officer to provide that kind of security. I'm sure this is true of Wal-Mart as well. The police officer, whether on-duty or off-duty, has authority that others do not. Such as pursuing and detaining shoplifters. In this case, Wal-Mart and the police want to apprehend the shoplifters on the premises, before they have an opportunity to dispose of the stolen goods (evidence). Which is why he tried to stop them from leaving. They fled a LAW officer, and assaulted a LAW officer. So it wasn't just shoplifting.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If not, and the "commission of a crime" you refer to is the shoplifting, think about situations like a bank robbery that is interrupted by the police, a shootout ensues and the police kill one of the robbers. Have you ever heard of cases where the surviving robbers are charged with murder because the police killed one of their members as they committed the crime of robbery?
Yes, and it's not that uncommon. Hopefully the deceased criminal's accomplices will serve a decent prison sentence.

They committed multiple crimes that resulted in her death. First, the theft. Second, failure to stop when directed to do so by a LE officer. Third, felonyeous escape (I believe is the charge). 4th, either attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon for trying to run over the cop. They created the situation in which their fellow criminal was killed...hopefully they do the time for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-12-2012 at 12:23 PM..

397 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Hello!!! The officer was assaulted with a motor vehicle... That is called attempted vehicular homicide!!! Not exactly the same thing..
Thats what he said. I bet what really happened is they made him mad and he shot her. Oh well he will get away with it. In the courts of this Country anyway.

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1) the average person on this board is either a sociopath, or stupid (i.e. the people saying good. You deserve death for stealing ? what? from wal-mart? seriously?

2) I doubt a deputy will go to jail for shooting someone. I mean, not like this.. . the deputy will get clean off.

3) it was a deputy. i dont know if you noticed, but the "rentacops" at wal-mart are usually real cops using their time off.
I don't think one deserves death for stealing from Walmart, but when you decide to steal from ANYONE, you knowingly and fully take on the risk that someone may take exception to you taking what does not belong to you, and the possibility exists that you can get killed. You KNOW that going in. You look at yourself in the mirror, say, "I'm going to steal something today and someone might get pissed off about it but I'm going to go ahead anyway", and then you proceed. You've accepted the risk.

Now if you've stolen frequently enough and gotten away with it, you might get cocky, feel invincible, let your guard down. The risk still exists, however.

Now, this woman wasn't exactly shot for shoplifting, it seems, but the stealing led to her death.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yeah he is going to jail, probably for quite some time.
Not a chance.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Being shot for shoplifting = wrong. That is a disproportionate response to such a crime.

Being shot for attempting to run over an officer = alright. This is a potentially deadly assault that justifies the use of deadly force. Apparently, the person who created this situation was NOT the one getting shot - therefore, I don't think I find this a justifiable shooting.

If it had been the driver who got shot, I don't think this would be in the least controversial.

"She threw it in reverse and tried to run over the deputy,' said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Deputy Thomas Gilliland."

One of the most ironic statements is this one:
"Shelly was the perfect mom, perfect friend, perfect daughter,' said her father, Shelton Frey."

Sure, I understand that this is coming from the father who obviously can't help but see his daughter in a more positive light than her actions make her out to be. However, taking small children to do some pre-Christmas shop-lifiting doesn't exactly scream "perfect person" at me, especially not if she had a prior criminal history.

All that said, I do not think that shooting into a vehicle with small children inside is a great idea - although I doubt that the officer had time to think this through. I would guess that him shooting at the car was much more a adrenaline-driven gut reaction to being faced with a potentially deadly situation. Unfortunately, it resulted in the death of a person who had done nothing more than shop-lift.
Being shot for shoplifting is an excessive punishment for a crime...

Getting shot to prevent any further reckless endangerment while trying to get away after being caught isn't...

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Thats what he said. I bet what really happened is they made him mad and he shot her. Oh well he will get away with it. In the courts of this Country anyway.
So the cop made it up eh ?
You really hate cops don't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies