Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times

Advertisements

I don't have children of my own, but have noticed that kids like my nieces and nephews like to shop at these stores that display their 100% aryan nordic models on their bags and other displays. Even southern europeans are not "good enough" for them. Despite the fact that my nieces and nephews are mexican-american (demi lovato looking) and look nothing like the Abercrombie "ideal", they flock to buy these overpriced clothes (with their mom, my sister) saying nothing. Do other parents view this company's image as racist?, enough to not purchase the clothes? They have had several high profile racism allegations in the past with some former employees, which apparently were settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I don't buy those clothes for my kids and it has nothing to do with the models. The clothes are overpriced, poorly made, and a lot of the juniors styles are inappropriate for my daughter. We don't do the skin-tight jeans with holes in them look.

Right now Abercrombie has an african-american model on their website. I only looked because you mentioned them, and ordinarily never go to their website, but if they did have trouble with allegations of racism in the past, it looks like they're working on improving their image.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,508 times
I have never even noticed the "image" I just see their price tags and go in the opposite direction. Personally, I won't spend that kind of money on teenage clothing.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't buy those clothes for my kids and it has nothing to do with the models. The clothes are overpriced, poorly made, and a lot of the juniors styles are inappropriate for my daughter. We don't do the skin-tight jeans with holes in them look.

Right now Abercrombie has an african-american model on their website. I only looked because you mentioned them, and ordinarily never go to their website, but if they did have trouble with allegations of racism in the past, it looks like they're working on improving their image.
I've yet to see one of their bags with anything other than white nordic aryan youth. I'm sure that they only put the black guy on there because of the bad publicity that they received. It wouldn't surprise me if they photoshopped a black guy's head onto a white guy's body. I didn't see any black guys on there. I only saw a white guy being petted by a black girl. I'll bet that they wouldn't put a black guy with a white girl.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
No, my kids are not into labels.

Obviously it doesn't bother your niece/nephews/siblings.

You obviously have an ax to grind. This is not a parenting issue.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Not anymore, thank goodness. A&F does not have anywhere near the following it used to when it first heavily entered the malls. I will say though, their clothing used to be extremely well-made. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I could wash a tee shirt or a pair of pants dozens of times, and it would still look like new. Their winter jackets were terrific.

One of my boys worked for them during college. According to him the applicants were hired as "models", which is how they skirted the discrimination accusations. You had to be able to wear the clothing (bought at 40% off once a season), even the color they were pushing. His last few months there the popular color was gray. He had every shirt they offered in gray. He HAD to wear what they sold.

Right before he left some big-wig came in to offer him a store management position at their flagship store in NYC. They were willing to pay to relocate him. He had the look they wanted. He had also had his fill of retail, and wasn't at all tempted.

I was never a fan of clothing with labels splashed across it. I'm glad my kids feel the same way now.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Kids are stupid when it comes to that. They pretty much will do whatever parents let them get away with. If that's the "fad" and parents don't say anything, that's the way it is. We're supposed to be "the adults".

Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Kids are stupid when it comes to that. They pretty much will do whatever parents let them get away with. If that's the "fad" and parents don't say anything, that's the way it is. We're supposed to be "the adults".
Why don't you teach them a lesson?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
We buy A&F if we find it in the thrift stores. It does wear extremely well, so we know it will hold up. We pay a buck or 2 for an item of clothing the previous owner paid 50x that for. Works for me.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

You obviously have an ax to grind. This is not a parenting issue.
Isn't raising your kids not support racism a parental issue? Or is that the responsibility of the schools and society? I have told my sister, but her lame comment was something was something like "well, that's what the kids like."- dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies