Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, it does. Why? Because of the totalitarian statist insistence that some pay a much higher tax rate than others for access to the same government benefits and services.

You're DEFINITELY not a Libertarian.
What a very narrow worldview. You are wrong about your assumptions on what a libertarian is as well your ideas about people who question the flat tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What a very narrow worldview. You are wrong about your assumptions on what a libertarian is as well your ideas about people who question the flat tax.
BS. Libertarians DO NOT believe in penalizing those who contribute the most more than anyone else.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I disagree that marriage is the province of religious institutions.
OK, then tell us what you believe. The link also talked about people getting married via "civil unions' and having marriage contracts drawn up privately. I'm not religious at all but I think this is a logical approach to marriage. Much more logical then having the government involved.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I can agree on keeping gov't out of abortion and homosexuality as it relates to the legality of the act. As far as healthcare and marriage though, I'm firmly leftist.
Do you mean that you are for socialized medicine? That goes against Libertarian principle and philosophy. You could believe that people should have affordable access to healthcare and still be a Libertarian but as a Libertarian you'd want to take those ideals to the private sector in the form of a business, non-profit or community service of some sort. Expecting taxpayers to pay in and support a government run healthcare system is not Libertarian in any way shape or form.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS. Libertarians DO NOT believe in penalizing those who contribute the most more than anyone else.
That is not the only criteria for being a Libertarian.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
OK, then tell us what you believe. The link also talked about people getting married via "civil unions' and having marriage contracts drawn up privately. I'm not religious at all but I think this is a logical approach to marriage. Much more logical then having the government involved.
I think government needs to be involved in marriage to protect against slavery (yes really), minors marrying and dealing with divorce & child support.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I think government needs to be involved in marriage to protect against slavery (yes really), minors marrying and dealing with divorce & child support.
OK, then that's not really in line with a Libertarian point of view. It does match a liberal point of view though.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Do you mean that you are for socialized medicine? That goes against Libertarian principle and philosophy. You could believe that people should have affordable access to healthcare and still be a Libertarian but as a Libertarian you'd want to take those ideals to the private sector in the form of a business, non-profit or community service of some sort. Expecting taxpayers to pay in and support a government run healthcare system is not Libertarian in any way shape or form.
Don't blame me. That's what the political compass test called me. I believe that people should be able to do what they want when they want but I also believe in social safety nets like healthcare and education for all.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
OK, then that's not really in line with a Libertarian point of view. It does match a liberal point of view though.
I have some libertarian views and some leftist views.

Crowd Chart

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Don't blame me. That's what the political compass test called me. I believe that people should be able to do what they want when they want but I also believe in social safety nets like healthcare and education for all.
I hear you. I hold a lot of leftist ideals but I am a Libertarian more then anything else. I believe in social safety nets but believe that there is room in the private sector to enact such things through the formation of non-profits, community supported medicine, etc. I think that more people would be willing to contribute if they were not already paying such high taxes. As of now, I think people are less likely to give to charity because they believe that the government already has it covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies