Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What are your thoughts?
Libertarians and conservatives overlap in some views. Libertarians and leftists overlap in some views. You could be a left leaning libertarian the same way you can be a moderate conservative. But you can't be a leftist libertarian any more than something could be sharply blunt or speedily slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What are your thoughts?
That depends how you define leftist.

Left-libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Some people only see in black and white.
No, some people just think that words have definitions. If you believe in big government then you aren't a libertarian. Not because people are narrow minded and judgemental. Because libertarianism means limited government. I'm not shackled in my ways of thinking if I say you can't be a dog and a cat at the same time.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
In a word, no.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
No, libertarians are not liberals.

They are conservatives with social values in line with some liberal views.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, we already use the term libertarian because leftists stole the term liberal.
We didnt steal anything, We had the term first, you guys are just mad that we dont accept you as liberals.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We didnt steal anything, We had the term first, you guys are just mad that we dont accept you as liberals.
No, you didn't. Liberalism used to be basically fiscal conservatism. In most of Europe, it still is. Modern liberals took the term from their social stances and applied it to their economic views as well.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, some people just think that words have definitions. If you believe in big government then you aren't a libertarian. Not because people are narrow minded and judgemental. Because libertarianism means limited government. I'm not shackled in my ways of thinking if I say you can't be a dog and a cat at the same time.

I repped you, because I liked your take on it. And I'm well aware that libertarianism means limited government. Though, to some, the ideology of limited goverment means anarchy. BS, I know. But that is the big misconception.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No, you didn't. Liberalism used to be basically fiscal conservatism. In most of Europe, it still is. Modern liberals took the term from their social stances and applied it to their economic views as well.
fiscally conservative in itself is a subjective term and doesnt even prove your point.

in reality, its fiscally responsible or irresponsible. Liberals didnt steal anything. liberals are well liberal.

Libertarians arent.

better explain myself in more detail. Fiscally conservative to day, in the minds of leftist like my self has more to do with how you spend your money rather than where you spend it. If a liberal spends his money a certain way it doesnt make him a conservative it makes him responsible the same as with a conservative.

However conservatives believe that the definition of fiscal responsibility is to be fiscally conservative (where you spend it), thats why i disagree with your premise.

Last edited by dsjj251; 12-13-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't think so. Especially when it comes to Welfare and taxation.
The key to knowing a libertarian: We don't care what you personally do, just

DON'T ask US to pay for it.

Unless it is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really necessary.
That includes WARS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies