Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Problem with this thinking is that it does not understand that logically...there would be another 200 lanza's out there in different forms and characteristics but same deal... thats the problem with a society not, acting swiftly with new environmental law. It is unconscionable both mathematically by the dynamics within the human system, and in immediate recognition of something absolutely unacceptable.
Ok, let's go with your theory. What is it that we must immediately act on ?
Is it guns or mental health ?
And why did you choose what you did ?

We don't even know why he did it yet everyone must have an immediate solution now to "the problem".
Well just what is "the problem" ? Guns are just the tools to commit violence. Mental health is all over the place as to cause and effect.

Take away all guns and lock up anyone with odd behavior ?
Fear drives erratic decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Her son was 20 years old......she did not have the legal authority to force him into treatment.
His mother should have NEVER had any guns at her home.......that was negligence......but how would we legislate against something like that?.
We need gun laws that do not allow ownership if someone has access to the home who is mentally unstable. That would be no more a circumvention of rights than the laws where you cannot rent a room in your home, if within X miles of a school, to someone with a history of sexual assaults against children.

Next time, make mom choose between her guns and her sons. No matter their age. 99.9% of gun owners would not be affected.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since Adam Lanza ended up shooting his own mother in the face and then massacred innocent little children, it's pretty evident that mental illness is the issue here. It's not as though a sane person would have done this.

Almost surely Adam Lanza was niot a nice sweet well-behaved boy who just one day decided to shoot his mother in the face. I would bet she lived in terror of him at least at times.
You had that perfectly normal guy living in a middle class suburb that just cracked under financial stress and flew his plane into an IRS office.

No one can predict the internal workings of individual minds and subsequent actions.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
A mother's story of living with a 13 year old who scares her, possibly even to death:

"I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me. A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7- and 9-year-old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me . . .

We still don’t know what's wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He’s been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work."

I Am Adam Lanza's Mother | Slog
I would say she should have him committed but I know from personal experience that is extremely difficult.

3,448 posts, read 3,133,213 times
disturbed people are very impressionable...there would be many disturbed people. What society empress's on disturbed people is crucial to their behav...the environment and law must change unless society can say...we have no disturbed people or have locked them all up....or, our recreational and entertainment pleasure-needs outweigh the consequences of disturbed people. Very simple to understand isn't it..?

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We do not know if the Lanzas ever tried to get help for their son. It is not clear that the Lanza family fit the profile of a family trying to deal with mental illness and have nowhere to turn for help. All this talk is putting the car before the horse.
LOL. Sorry, found that typo humorous. What a difference a t makes.

But you are correct. We don't have enough information yet to make that judgment. It seems to me that mothers/parents, even when realizing something is terribly wrong with their offspring, never dream that they will go to the extremes that an Adam Lanza went to. I bet she still saw him as her little boy on some level, probably right up until he pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wasn't it the courts who said the Mentally Ill had rights and freedoms to not be incarcerated just like you and I ?
That's right. Set them free, just not in my neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And where did you get that "fact" from ?
These folks are just making sheet up as they go. It's all ridiculous right now.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would say she should have him committed but I know from personal experience that is extremely difficult.
Most likely, not in this case. He was obviously dependent on her for money, as she got the alimony.
Should have used that as leverage. Get the help I think you need, or starve.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I repped you for admitting it was Ronald Reagan who let the mentally ill out of mental hospitals, but I completely disagree with you in thinking that was the right thing to do. "The 1800' way" is not how it works today, and it certainly was not that bad when Reagan was in office. My wife works in these hospitals as a psychologist... not kidding. Things are far different today and their rights are not infringed upon. There are no lobotomies. ECT is done completely differently today and very rare. I've been to work with her and these mental health services are already stretched to the max. The worst part is that I see people ON THE OUTSIDE, walking the streets who are so obviously mentally ill that all it would take is a small disagreement to end in murder.

We really need to reverse the damage that Reagan has done. This recent shooting is proof of it.
As it did in NYC a few weeks ago where an argument with a crazy person led to a man being pushed onto the subway tracks and run over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies