Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My understanding is that Asperger was deemed a mental issue but because of pressure the AMA organization removed it from mental issue classification. Is this correct? If so it is yet another example where political correctness interferes with keeping the community safe.
Asperger's was once considered a mild form of autism, but medical professionals don't think that that is the case. Asperger's shares some features of autism, but it's a not a mental issue. There is ZERO relationship between Asperger's and violence, so the classification of Asperger's has nothing to do with keeping the community safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
26 dead innocents and the gun laws worked?

Why do you people have such a difficult time understanding this?

Our current gun laws are about as effective as trying to outlaw a rainy day. As long as there is gun availability to the general public, there will be another Adam, and another, and another, ad infinatum.

The public cannot be trusted with guns!!!! Period!!!!

"Responsible gun owners" can control only their own actions. They cannot control the pain, anguish, and horrible deaths that result when their weapons get into the hands of others. And they do....and they will....despite the best of intentions.

It is long past time to END this mindless obsession with killing machines. What, in the name of heaven, will it take for the gun obsessed to understand the real-life horror born out of their own paranoia?

Think....if the other guy doesn't have a gun....maybe - just maybe....you don't need one either.

Klaatu's warning - YouTube
Tell you what, (and I make this offer to the other couple "we the people" posters as well) how about stopping the insults and innuendo (like "fondlers or stating that anyone on this forum is happy kids got killed) and provide empirical evidence that gun bans like what you're suggesting do anything at all. Not from another country as their laws,lack of freedoms and culture do not compare to ours but evidence from the U.S.? Empirical evidence does exist that the bans do NOTHING to change ANYTHING, all they are is a feel good waste of time and money.

If you can show empirical evidence to the contrary (instead of just some talk show host opinions) then I for one will agree with you as I'm sure many/most others would.
Problem is there is NOTHING to show that what you suggest will either A.Be effective or B.Is even possible. The Constitution will not be changed no matter how much y'all hope and pray it will so let's at least be realistic about that.
I think this is a fair deal, along the lines of put up or admit your ideas are wrong.
Deal?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Conn Elementary shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
There was a psychiatrist on TV who said what keeps getting lost in these discussions is the fact that the recent mass shooting are not just a mass murders, they are mass murders and a suicide. He said in order to understanding why events like this happens we must figure out why the attackers wanted to commit suicide.
You don't think the drugs that are given kids these days have anything to do with the suicidal tendencies in these killers? Did you check out the video links in my post #3730? It makes sense to me, drugs can alter a person's thinking. If a kid is bent on killing himself along with others, he will find some means to do it. If a gun isn't available, a car, baseball bat, knife, or a variety of other things he could use is. In a gun free zone, no one is going to fight back, no matter what is used to take the life of other people. By creating gun free zones we are making it easy for those who want to kill a bunch of people, very easy to do.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Asperger's was once considered a mild form of autism, but medical professionals don't think that that is the case. Asperger's shares some features of autism, but it's a not a mental issue. There is ZERO relationship between Asperger's and violence, so the classification of Asperger's has nothing to do with keeping the community safe.
Aspergers is still considered a form of autism and has been classified as part of the autism spectrum and is no longer a separate disorder.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...catid=57556754

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123527833

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You don't think the drugs that are given kids these days have anything to do with the suicidal tendencies in these killers? Did you check out the video links in my post #3730? It makes sense to me, drugs can alter a person's thinking.
I don't think we can rule 'out' or 'in' anything at this point in time and I don't think there is any one simple answer to explain what is going on in our society or how we go about resolving the problems. A national dialogue is long overdue, though, and we are probably going to finally get one in a meaningful way that includes experts to represent all possible components---mental health, the gun industry, school administrators, parents, the media, entertainment industry, the medical communities, etc.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Aspergers is still considered a form of autism and has been classified as part of the autism spectrum and is no longer a separate disorder.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...catid=57556754

Asperger's Officially Placed Inside Autism Spectrum : NPR
Thank you. I learned something new today.

The professor who taught me about Asperger's was from England, and I think that there are some differences from country to country about mental illness classifications, which may have influenced what I thought I knew.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You don't think the drugs that are given kids these days have anything to do with the suicidal tendencies in these killers? Did you check out the video links in my post #3730? It makes sense to me, drugs can alter a person's thinking. If a kid is bent on killing himself along with others, he will find some means to do it. If a gun isn't available, a car, baseball bat, knife, or a variety of other things he could use is. In a gun free zone, no one is going to fight back, no matter what is used to take the life of other people. By creating gun free zones we are making it easy for those who want to kill a bunch of people, very easy to do.
Was Adam Lanza taking psychotropic drugs? There's so much "cart before the horse" thinking regarding this incident. And you know darn well a car, baseball bat, knife and/or a variety of other things can't kill like this rifle did.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
Default We need a change NOW!

I had no idea nor was I interested in assault rifles capability until last night. I wonder why they aren't called machine guns. Calling them machine guns would have given me an idea of what this rifle can do.
One of the news talk shows showed a clip of how this rifle works. It scared me. I thank the show for this educational moment.

I wonder if non-gun owners have any idea how much damage these rifles did to these little children.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I had no idea nor was I interested in assault rifles capability until last night. I wonder why they aren't called machine guns. Calling them machine guns would have given me an idea of what this rifle can do.
One of the news talk shows showed a clip of how this rifle works. It scared me. I thank the show for this educational moment.

I wonder if non-gun owners have any idea how much damage these rifles did to these little children.
I think most of us who read any of the reports of the autopsy reports have a good idea.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thank you. I learned something new today.

The professor who taught me about Asperger's was from England, and I think that there are some differences from country to country about mental illness classifications, which may have influenced what I thought I knew.
You're welcome

This stuff is always changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies