Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times

Advertisements

After every mass shooting these NRA officials hold rallies in the towns it occurred. A few days after Columbine, they were rallying against gun control in the very place it occurred. If the NRA had it's way, each child in kindergarten would have their own gun for protection. They don't care about innocent lives taken. All they care about is their loosely defined amendment that was written before we had the types of guns we have now. if the government wanted to take our guns, they would use drones, rocket launchers, and tanks. Should regular American citizens own those too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Sorry. I thought it was ridiculous when I purchased my first gun. Walked in, filled out a form, walked out with a gun. No training, no license needed.

I don't think guns should be banned, but I think there definitely should be tighter controls.
I'm not in disagreement but I'm pretty sure you received a federal background check.

I had to wait ten whole days before I could take home my first handgun. Talk about draconian!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Just wow..... people blaming a damn video game over this travesty.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
I'm not in disagreement but I'm pretty sure you received a federal background check.

I had to wait ten whole days before I could take home my first handgun. Talk about draconian!
I did, but the whole process took less than 30 minutes. I did not buy a handgun so no waiting period.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Just wow..... people blaming a damn video game over this travesty.
Ridiculous. Mass Effect isn't even really a full on shooter like COD. And it was "liked" on the webpage of the BROTHER of the shooter.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
I'm aware of gun laws in Mexico. My point is that Mexico is completely irrelevant to this discussion of 'Why does America have more nutbars per capita than any other civilized country?'

I didn't make any argument for gun control or absence of it any of my posts. Nor the laws of Mexico.

And I agree with you about soaking children's brains in pharmaceuticals. That cannot be good.
Mexico isn't irrelavant -- certainly not with others comparing us with nations "across the pond" as we're not across the pond, we're here located right next to nations with much higher levels of homicide than we have.

Not to mention the cartels that could supply guns as easily as they supply drugs.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Default Ryan Lanza was a fan of the videogame "Mass effect" on facebook. Folks immediately blame the tragedy on video games

‘Mass Effect’ blamed for Connecticut school shooting; fans defend video games - National Video Game News | Examiner.com

Quote:
Earlier today, Ryan Lanza was erroneously reported as the suspect behind the mass shooting in a Connecticut elementary school. The Facebook page of that particular person, which was quickly found by Internet detectives, mentions that he liked the “Mass Effect” video game series (you can check out some screens from the third game, “Mass Effect 3,” in the slideshow at the top of this article).

Because of this, many individuals decided to attack the comments section from the official “Mass Effect” Facebook page, blaming the games for having an influence on the suspect and tragedy. Fans of the series quickly jumped in to defend the games, saying that the suspect alone should be the one under heavy scrutiny. The attacks stopped, however, once authorities confirm that Adam Lanza, the brother of Ryan Lanza, is the real suspect.

The immediate politicizing of these issues serves nothing. I hate seeing all these knee jerk reactions voiced by people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. This game, Mass Effect, is basically a video game version of Star Trek. It is very tame and is no more "violent" then a typical action movie. Not to mention that this guy is just the brother who did nothing wrong.

This is one of the worst things about cable news and the internet. The 12 hours or so break in time so everyone can collect themselves, figure out what actually happened, and fully comprehend the situation is greatly needed, as evidenced by the way a lot of people handled this tragedy today.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
We don't. We just talk about it more and we don't quietly kill the ones we do have.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post

That's because they're legal and regulated. I bet you didn't have to wait 10 days or have a background check when you bought methamphetamine or pot. The black market will make guns much more easily obtained if guns are made illegal.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Here's a little scenario I just came up with:

On Dec. 21 2012, 10 million Mexicans (née Mayans) are planning to simultaneously bum rush the border, creating a giant dust cloud that will block out the sun. This will cause a nationwide panic and in turn Obama will seize the opportunity to declare martial law and come and confiscate everyone's guns.

I believe that if I could successfully spread this little theory around the internet, there would be a not-so-insignificant amount of Americans that would buy it hook, line, and sinker.

And that's why we have more nutbars per capita than any other civilized country.

A lot of people live their lives in constant fear of government, minorities, and natural disasters - oh my! Paranoia is a longstanding American tradition.
Yeah thanks, now I'll have to see about four different topics started on this in the Illegal Immigration section as fact...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies