Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 AM

13,501 posts, read 10,001,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes and we accept the murder of 20 innocent children and 6 school employees as collateral damage in our right to own assault rifles and other high powered fire arms. That's the America we live and that is who we are. If it wasn't then we would do something about it. Instead we will cry and light a candle. Pray to God, keep asking why, and do nothing. This will happen again and again. Keep doing the same thing and we will keep getting the same results.
Yes.

People keep rationalizing that if it wasn't a gun it would be another weapon.

I'm really not so sure about that. I said this in another thread, but the glamor factor of getting all decked out in one's combat clothes and bulletproof vest - to go and shoot kindergartners no less - would indicate to me that this is some expression of power coupled with high delusions of grandeur. And I feel like a lot of rabid gun defenders have a bit of that in them too.

It's less about self defense than an attitude of my gun's bigger than yours, I dare you to come and get me, I am powerful and nobody's gonna mess with me. It's like some kind of psychological penis enlarger.

This is just my opinion, but I think if people had to resort to other more deliberate and not quite so glorious methods, they'd find another way to express their discontent (beside mass murdering innocents). Having to go get a ton of fertilizer wearing a pair of overalls just doesn't have the same cache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,989,467 times
So now we have a thread about gun control and any good comments are buried beneath the same old back and forth about a topic that has been done to death. Nice...

9,879 posts, read 8,032,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I find the mental illness thing a cop out
Mental illness is what it is. Not needing to be an excuse to want to throw up
about what happened.

In this society, honor role would not be considered a failure.
Yea, damn my kid got an A, what a **** up...

I'm not looking for a "cop out". I'm saying this young person was mentally ill.
He killed children. He was no more than a child himself.

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Obama administration officials have called for a renewal of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which was signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1994 and expired in 2004. That law banned the manufacture of assault-style semi-automatic weapons (guns that automatically reload, but fire only once when the trigger is depressed) as well as high-capacity ammunition magazines. It did not ban the sale or possession of such guns already owned by the public when the law was passed.
Fact Check: Romney says it's illegal to have automatic weapons - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,047,613 times
Just a something to think about.

Guns have been around for a very long time. Yet it wasnt until our life times really, that we have seen incidents like this, especially in schools, and so often. There is something different in our society today that wasnt prevalent years and years ago. Is it meds, entertainment violence, parenting issues, or something else? It is easy to say, just take the guns away. But there is something else contributing to all this. And really, it is most likely a combination of things. But we need to do more to examine ourselves, our society to figure out what indeed has changed in society from years ago, to now.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,981,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes and we accept the murder of 20 innocent children and 6 school employees as collateral damage in our right to own assault rifles and other high powered fire arms. That's the America we live and that is who we are. If it wasn't then we would do something about it. Instead we will cry and light a candle. Pray to God, keep asking why, and do nothing. This will happen again and again. Keep doing the same thing and we will keep getting the same results.
The America we live in today is where the President and the Attorney General provide hundreds of assault weapons to drug cartels in Mexico ... knowing full well and counting on the fact that hundreds of innocent people will be murdered in Mexico and the USA with these assault weapons ... and it was all a grand scheme to change the gun laws in America ...

This is America today!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,390,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Why is it all about YOUR rights?

How about the rights of all of us who would like to be able to walk into a crowded mall to do some Christmas shopping without being afraid that some nut with an assault rifle is going to open fire?

Or how about the RIGHTS of all parents who want to be able to send our children to school without having to worry about never seeing them, never hugging them again, or never kissing them to sleep at night ever again?

YOU! YOU! YOU!

I'm just sick at how you are making this about YOU and YOUR rights.
I don't know what the answer to all of this at this time is but I do know this; If there would be a severe restrictive policy placed on gun ownership or an outright ban on handguns you WILL see the United States become an extremely violent place from what many would call domestic terrorism.

This wont happen by those one would consider insane or unstable but by large populations of people that believe that their God given right to bear arms is being taken away.

Having lived in western Montana for 14 years I personally know people in groups that are considered
para military and are watched by the federal government.

There are hundreds of these groups in the west and hundreds more throughout the country.

Civil unrest will not accurately describe the escalation in violence if a massive ban would take place.

All I know is 26 innocent lives are now gone and because of latest massacre how we go forward to rectify this sort of situation from happening again can start something that, if not handled correctly, neither pro or anti gun advocates will be able to stop.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

We are in a world that doesn't value life anymore.
When people are no longer shocked by such tragedies, then I'll believe this statement to be true.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,032,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Attorney General provide hundreds of assault weapons to drug cartels in Mexico

This is America today!
And yesterday, but that really is for another thread....

Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,989,467 times
If it was guns, knives or whatever, this is old news already. Frankly, I am not concerned that twenty overweight bratty American kids got shot. Kids die in Pakistan from American drone attacks every day and die in Palestine all the time. I am not mourning American brats because America refuses to mourn for those its government and the corporations kill all the time.

So, enough idiotic parents crying about their spoiled brats getting smoked and let's talk about something interesting, like the blasphemous remake of Robocop being planned or the Epic Rap Battle between Santa Claus and Moses:

Moses vs Santa Claus. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 - YouTube

Am I callus? Well, Americans had no problem turning the channel to a comedy when they found out about their diamonds coming from child slave labor or landmines in Vietnam that the US put there and still kill kids to this day. You don't care about them, so don't judge me for not giving a damn about those brats in Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies