Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times

Advertisements

This parent write about her son who, at a young age, has mental problems that are more than handful to deal with.

She is not alone in her struggle.............

The Anarchist Soccer Mom: Thinking the Unthinkable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
I'm going to be honest, I don't think I could handle a child like that. It's a scary thing knowing that your child will hate you and go into a fit for being a minute late for breakfast, just using that as an example.

I think the load of responsibilty is more for parents to deal with. For the child's sake, he needs to be put away.

In the wake of this shooting, I know there must have been some type of warning signs, had to be, we need to start paying attention to kids like them.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I'm going to be honest, I don't think I could handle a child like that. It's a scary thing knowing that your child will hate you and go into a fit for being a minute late for breakfast, just using that as an example.

I think the load of responsibilty is more for parents to deal with. For the child's sake, he needs to be put away.

In the wake of this shooting, I know there must have been some type of warning signs, had to be, we need to start paying attention to kids like them.
So, I spent some quality years working with kids similar to this with respect to emotional dysregulation and threat of harm to self and others. Most can be helped, most families can be helped. IMO, it is of the utmost importance that people be able to access the specialized evidence-based treatments that can actually put in dent in these issues before we hear about the culmination of slipping through the cracks on the news. Right now, those treatments are not available everywhere, to people of every income level. IMO, they need to be. It won't solve everything, but it would be one hell of a start.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
Unfortunately, I think we all know how that family's life will play out.

In another year or so, the mother will no longer be able to physically control her son. Insurance companies do not want to pay for treatment or medication. There may be some medical help but it will be limited and never enough or never long term enough.

The long term, locked mental hospitals are closed so there is nowhere to send the child. In a year or so's time, the boy will likely hurt someone or melt down in public, the police will be called and he'll wind up in the justice system. Then it will be a revolving door. Once in prison, he won't get help and he won't be able to follow rules or get along with others. So it will be long term solitary for him.

It's sad all around. I feel for her other children, who have to live with and grow up with a ticking time bomb. Most of the family resources, energy and time are taken up by the one damaged child. The parent is left feeling lost and helpless. The unfortunate child has nothing ahead of him.

If the mother isn't finding adequate help now, it sure isn't going to come when he is older, more difficult and more dangerous.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Here is another story, with a somewhat hopeful slant. This child has schizophrenia and is currently getting help although you cannot say what may happen in the future.

Edge of the abyss

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
So, I spent some quality years working with kids similar to this with respect to emotional dysregulation and threat of harm to self and others. Most can be helped, most families can be helped. IMO, it is of the utmost importance that people be able to access the specialized evidence-based treatments that can actually put in dent in these issues before we hear about the culmination of slipping through the cracks on the news. Right now, those treatments are not available everywhere, to people of every income level. IMO, they need to be. It won't solve everything, but it would be one hell of a start.
I agree 500%. BUT. You knew there was going to be one, right?

" In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness."

We DO need to talk about mental illness. The culture of US blaming mental health issues on anything and everything except what it is, *illness* is outrageous. It is WRONG.

But even the very best fix to that problem won't help ME, as a parent, protect my children from that child who has ACCESS to firearms. Today.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I agree 500%. BUT. You knew there was going to be one, right?

" In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness."

We DO need to talk about mental illness. The culture of US blaming mental health issues on anything and everything except what it is, *illness* is outrageous. It is WRONG.

But even the very best fix to that problem won't help ME, as a parent, protect my children from that child who has ACCESS to firearms. Today.
I agree with you as well. We need to talk about both. We probably need to talk about some other things besides. It is insanely frustrating to me that people are discussing single solutions in response to the CT tragedy. As a nation, I do believe we have a gun problem, a mental health problem and some cultural problems as well. It is multisystemic. I don't know how to protect my children from this right now, either. I am angry and sad and scared. But I have a bee in my bonnet and am seriously thinking about how we can all get involved in forcing some much needed change. IMO, until we start talking about a multifaceted approach to prevention, or at the very least risk management, we are going to continue to respond to crises.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 12-17-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
And when people try to get real in the discussion around mental illness, this is how some respond. Contains harsh language:

Sorry Everyone, Now We Are Not Allowed To Talk About Mental Health Either

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And when people try to get real in the discussion around mental illness, this is how some respond. Contains harsh language:

Maddening. The thing is, nothing can be off the table for discussion if what we want is change. The percentage of those with mental illnesses who harm themselves or others is minute, just like the percentage of gun owners who use their weapons to commit atrocities is minute. Predicting a low base-rate behavior is fraught with difficulties. That doesn't mean we should just shut down the conversation.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Ugh. Somewhere in EWA's multifaceted plan, can we include fixing stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies