Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

Gun-Control Ignorance - Thomas Sowell eviscerates Liberals with facts and logic

Gun-Control Ignorance - Thomas Sowell - National Review Online

Quote:
The rate of gun ownership is higher in rural areas than in urban areas, but the murder rate is higher in urban areas. The rate of gun ownership is higher among whites than among blacks, but the murder rate is higher among blacks. For the country as a whole, hand-gun ownership doubled in the late 20th century, while the murder rate went down.
Within 6 years of passage of Gun Control Act of 1968 , the murder rate went up 42%. But facts don't matter.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-18-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
We live in the country, my husband and boys hunt, and we have a gun case full of hunting rifles and shotguns. I have no problem with any sane person owning guns in general, as long as they're trained to use them safely, and they keep them locked up. I'd just like to know why anyone needs or should own a semi automatic weapon with a high capacity magazine? What is it that you NEED to shoot that requires 30 rounds/rapid fire? They're not legal to hunt with. That's the question lots of people are asking.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
We live in the country, my husband and boys hunt, and we have a gun case full of hunting rifles and shotguns. I have no problem with any sane person owning guns in general, as long as they're trained to use them safely, and they keep them locked up. I'd just like to know why anyone needs or should own a semi automatic weapon with a high capacity magazine? What is it that you NEED to shoot that requires 30 rounds/rapid fire? They're not legal to hunt with. That's the question lots of people are asking.
Lots of people are asking that question out of pure ignorance. A magazine can be changed and a round rechambered in 3 seconds or less. A competent shooter will not be deterred by a smaller magazine. This is where the ignorance abounds within the anti-gun nutters.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Gun-Control Ignorance - Thomas Sowell eviscerates Libwankers with facts and logic

Gun-Control Ignorance - Thomas Sowell - National Review Online

Within 6 years of passage of Gun Control Act of 1968 , the murder rate went up 42%. But facts don't matter.
The quote says the murder rate went down, yet wrote that it went up 42%.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
I've hunted wild boar with my AR-15.

It was fun.

Oh....only needed one shot. .223 round.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Different time periods. The murder rate went up after passing the Gun Control Act of 1968, and then declined over the last two decades at the same time hand gun ownership doubles. Now, I'm the first to point out the difference between correlation and causation, but overall crime rate has increased on several occasions after sweeping gun control laws. There are, of course, a lot of overall societal considerations to take into account, but I think that Thomas Sowell does a good job illustrating the fact that passing new gun control is not a quick fix for crime.

Also, what is all this about banning high capacity magazines? Mags are very quick and easy to swap out, which is why I'm not terribly worried about them being banned, because even if they are, it doesn't make that much of a difference. What bothers me is that this is the latest trend in passing laws to make people feel better about themselves. Hell, a high cap magazine is not even reasonably difficult to construct, if you really felt you needed one. Is a quick mag change really going to slow someone down who's murdering unarmed civilians? No, get real.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

The "late 20th century" would be later than the years that followed 1968.
Murder rate rose from 1968 until the 1990's if memory serves then has been dropping since.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The "late 20th century" would be later than the years that followed 1968.
Murder rate rose from 1968 until the 1990's if memory serves then has been dropping since.
The 70's , 80's and 90's are the late 20th century.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Nobody NEEDS any guns at all. It's not a matter of justifying why you need it. It's a matter of justifying banning it. We have the 2nd amendment, therefore the default position should be to allow it.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Its just pathetic the complete meltdown that pro-gun American's are undergoing. Have any of you even slept since Friday morning? It doesn't really matter what any of you think there is going to be a response by various legislative bodies as well as by many retailers and advertisers to Sandy. Its human nature. To deny that we have one... a human nature, is to try to argue that the Sandy shooting was actually a good thing and that shootings like it should take place more often. I don't know anyone that is prepared to argue that. So.... an assault weapon ban is the least that we can expect going forward. Not one gun advocate has said what should be done in the wake of the Sandy shooting. Only what should not be done. I.e. there should not be any move to restrict gun access of any kind. Is that reasonable? No it isn't and, this time, the assault weapon ban won't quietly lapse like the one from 1994.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies