Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, i'm glad you posted this. 1) I thought it was pretty humorous, and 2) it demonstrates that the answer will be found somewhere in the middle. And that's exactly the debate I sought to cultivate with this thread.

Many people don't understand that my posts are many times that of a devils advocate than that of an entrenched conservative.

But I still think that the "knee-jerkers" just don't have a place in this conversation. I'll take a well reasoned anti-gun nut over a knee-jerk anti-gun nut anyday.
You may be surprised to know that although I am otherwise a bleeding heart liberal, I am also support the right to bear arms and believe that the populace does need to be armed in order to keep government in check. But just thinking about that nutty mother-****** gunning down those first graders makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. There has to be a way to comply with the Second Amendment and keep guns out of the hands of crazy people. If people could stop insulting each other, maybe we could figure something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
18 years prior to 1996 Australia had 13 mass shootings. They enacted tough gun bans and did a buy back of assault weapons. since then there have been............ wait for it, NONE no mass shootings. Soooo Gun bans do work.
Always somebody trying to muddy the waters of a good argument with facts!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,007,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
and here's what happens somewhere between the latte sipping liberal and the Ted Nugent neo-con lunacy.

Utah Boy Brings Gun to School, Cites Newtown Fears - ABC News
In gun-nut land, he would get a medal for trying to take safety into his own hands. In gun-nut land, everybody is a responsible gun owner, no matter how old they are or how mentally challenged they are. You see, if everybody carried a gun everywhere, then nobody would ever "act up" because they'd know that law-abiding citizens would "take them out."

Somebody pull into that parking spot that you have been waiting for before you got a chance? Easy. Pull a gun on him. He'll pull a gun on you. You both laugh and remark what a great country we all live in.

Black Friday got you worried about getting that last inexpensive flat screen? Rush the store with guns blazing - like everybody else. And because everybody has a gun, there won't be any problems.

Oh America, my vision seems so different...

Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
18 years prior to 1996 Australia had 13 mass shootings. They enacted tough gun bans and did a buy back of assault weapons. since then there have been............ wait for it, NONE no mass shootings. Soooo Gun bans do work.
~22 million people spread over ~3 million square miles. That's about 7 people per square mile. I think I can figure out why there's just not a mass murder problem there, and I don't think it has anything to do with gun ownership.

Further, in those 18 years, that was less than one shooting per year, on par with other civilized countries, including the USA.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
~22 million people spread over ~3 million square miles. That's about 7 people per square mile. I think I can figure out why there's just not a mass murder problem there, and I don't think it has anything to do with gun ownership.

Further, in those 18 years, that was less than one shooting per year, on par with other civilized countries, including the USA.
Indeed, and there are no densely populated urban centers. None. Absolutely none.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Indeed, and there are no densely populated urban centers. None. Absolutely none.
Yep, just when you think that guy can't say anything any stupider he comes up with THAT jewel.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yep, just when you think that guy can't say anything any stupider he comes up with THAT jewel.
Maybe you have never been to Australia? By law, Australians are NOT allowed to congregate anywhere where the ratio of person to ground space (in square miles) exceeds 7 to 1.

The law was enacted many years ago when government realized that higher ratios would lead to an inherent fear among the population that there might not be enough beer available for all persons within a particular square mile.

Think of it as a restraining order where you are not allowed to be within 500 yards of another person.

That's Australia for ya'. And that's why they don't have densely populated urban centers and that's why they don't have mass shootings. There are simply never enough people together in one place.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
He's a prolifer online and a libertarian offline.
I suppose he's no different in that respect than a number of other posters here on C-D when it comes to separating online and offline lives:

There are plenty here who are secretly homosexual offline, but a raging, testosterone-filled, anti-gay hetero online.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I suppose he's no different in that respect than a number of other posters here on C-D when it comes to separating online and offline lives:

There are plenty here who are secretly homosexual offline, but a raging, testosterone-filled, anti-gay hetero online.
Shhhhh....why you giving up my schtick, man?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,310 times
That's what it is...

It's weak, timid and spineless bleeding hearts looking for protection. They are scared to death of autonomy. So they have to fool themselves into believing they actually ARE self governed.

Begging for protection comes with a price. Just ask the mafia, they will tell you. Why would our government operate any differently?

The day where raising a strong willed survivalist is frowned upon has arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies