Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Have found interesting that these latest polls ask nothing about support of the 2nd Amendment or handguns or Americans' view on owning guns in general. Because, gotta tell you, past polls have consistently shown Americans favor gun ownership at about 70% and handguns even higher. Yes, these latest polls on gun control are in response to this tragedy but the trend has been, for over 50 years now, that Americans do not favor heavy gun control laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Yes, the trend continues... the trend for more and more gun restrictions. Have you not been paying attention to the increasing number of restrictions placed on guns over the last several decades? The noose is getting tighter... can you feel it?
HA.

I'm just going to dismiss you as someone who is absolutely clueless on both public opinion on gun control and laws on aspects of gun control such as concealed carry.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You simply cannot win. The more you talk, the more guns are sold. The more you talk, the more you embolden the gun lobby to press harder. The more you talk, the more likely you are to cause dysfunction and disunion in this country. The more you talk, the more you embolden the far left, and people like Obama, to push for more regulations. Pushing for more regulations would be absolute political suicide for the left over the long-run.

You can't win liberals, but keep pushing. You will sow the seeds of your own destruction. Or even the destruction of this nation.
If the pro-gun crowd really believed that, they wouldn't be fighting so hard against any and every attempt at gun regulation.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You simply cannot win. The more you talk, the more guns are sold. The more you talk, the more you embolden the gun lobby to press harder. The more you talk, the more likely you are to cause dysfunction and disunion in this country. The more you talk, the more you embolden the far left, and people like Obama, to push for more regulations. Pushing for more regulations would be absolute political suicide for the left over the long-run.
The main reason the "gun-control" fanatics are losing, is because they keep advocating schemes that don't work.

Guns bans have been tried. Mass shootings kept right on occurring.

"Assault weapons" bans have been tried. Mass murder after mass murder kept rolling right along.

Background checks have been tried. Waiting periods have been tried. none of it ever had the slightest effect.

And now Obama and Biden are probably going to try the same old, tired schemes over again.

No wonder people are getting fed up with the leftists and their useless "gun control" ideas. It is becommeing clear that they have no intention of stopping or even reducing these mass shootings.

So, what IS their agenda?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
How can it be "knee-jerk" when these shootings happen over and over, practically every month (if not every week)? I think we've all had MORE than enough time to figure out how we feel about gun restrictions and what needs to be done.

There is no statistical increase in mass shootings over time.

I understand what liberals are hoping to accomplish, and I don't think anyone is in opposition to their overall goal, which is to lower crime, especially murder. But the means in which they hope to accomplish it, is simply faulty.

Look, if you could go back to 2008, I was basically screaming the same line as the political left. I felt like people arguing that they needed guns to fight the government, were all unrealistic whackjobs, who were going to end up like the people in Waco, dead.

I believed that guns made people less safe, especially children, who often die from accidental death from guns kept in homes. One of the people I most admire in this world, despises guns, and doesn't even want to touch a gun.

In a perfect world, no one needs guns. But this isn't a perfect world. It is very imperfect. And in an imperfect world, sometimes you do need guns.

The problem when people want to compare the United States to other countries, is that they ignore the differences between the United States and other countries. The United States simply has different demographics than other countries. The United States has a history of hostility between different groups of people. It has a history of gangs and violence. Which many countries in Europe simply don't have.

I hate to sound racist, but if you could remove blacks and Hispanics entirely from all crime statistics. The United States isn't any less safe than any other developed country.

If you look at this country on a county by county basis. The counties with the lowest murder rates, are the counties with the highest rates of gun ownership. And the counties with the highest murder rates, are the counties with the lowest rates of gun ownership.

There is nothing wrong with trying to stop violence. But your solution is simply a fairy-tale. Gun control doesn't mean less guns. Gun control doesn't mean less murder, or even less gun crime. Your solution is a non-solution, because it simply doesn't work.

What we need to do is argue about a sensible approach to solving the social problems of this country, which is where the blame should fall. Rather than always blaming the gun.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to YOU, but a majority of the entire U.S. population now disagrees with you. Get a clue.

Polling Center: Should there be restrictions on gun ownership? - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
All that could be mustered after almost a week of high emotion is 52% favoring stronger gun control? Sorry, but that doesn't bode well for your objective. You'd think it would be way higher than a bare minimum majority. Sorry, but I think your cause is already starting to wither away.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
HA.

I'm just going to dismiss you as someone who is absolutely clueless on both public opinion on gun control and laws on aspects of gun control such as concealed carry.
Okay, whatever makes you forget that more gun control is coming.

Unlike 100 years ago, today:
You need training and a permit to conceal carry...
You need a background check...
You need a waiting period (that was in fact INCREASED later)...
You are now restricted from using armor-piercing ammo...
You now need a trigger lock on all new guns...
You need to own semi-autos, no more automatic weapons without SEVERE restrictions.

ALL OF THE ABOVE was the result of increasingly tighter gun control. The noose is tightening and the gun nuts are too stupid to see it coming. Go figure.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
It's a shame when a gun fondler can't recognize the straw that broke the camel's back when he sees it. More gun restrictions are unavoidable now. Contrary to the OP, it's going to be political suicide for the conservative right to vote "no" on restrictions in light of this recent tragedy. Common sense reform must be taken and everybody sees it except for the wingnuts on this message board.
Just because Barack Obama want's new controls proposed by January doesn't mean those controls will be put in place anytime soon. You seem to forget that Congress doesn't even have to bring the bill to the floor for a vote, much less put it into committee for mark up.

Unfortunately for you, Barack Obama is not a dictator. Just because he says it, doesn't mean he'll get it. He's at the mercy of Congress.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM

266 posts, read 410,715 times
I think it's the other way around. The more conservatives talk the more your gonna lose. To be honest I don't think gun control is going to do much if anything at all in trying to stop crazy people from mass murder but before this week I was kind of nuetral on gun control. However, after reading these threads I would vote for better gun control just because, while it may not help much, it can't hurt. I've yet to hear a good arguement from a conservative on why gun control is a bad thing. If you think your guns are gonna protect you from a corrupt government your wrong, that day passed long ago, and if you think it hasn't passed then why don't I see conservatives marching on capital hill, afterall this country, according to conservatives, has already reached it's "boiling point". Put your money where your mouth is and do something constructive with them. Oh yeah, you can't do anything constructive with an automatic weapon.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If the pro-gun crowd really believed that, they wouldn't be fighting so hard against any and every attempt at gun regulation.

I think you misunderstand the gun lobby. Right now, even as the left is condemning guns for this massacre. Not only are gun lobbyists arguing against more gun control. They are actually arguing for less gun control. They aren't just saying we don't need more restrictions on buying guns. They are arguing that we need to get rid of gun-free zones. They are even arguing that we need to arm the teachers.

You think the gun lobby is on the defensive. But they are actually on the offensive. And while certain parts of the country are leaning more and more towards more gun control. Other parts of this country are moving the opposite direction.

This video is of theyoungturks, which is a very liberal show. He talks about how Obama has actually expanded gun rights during his administration.

No More Talk, Where is Obama's Gun Control Legislation? - YouTube

This is a video where the anti-gun woman is astounded by the fact that John Lott(who wrote the book, "More guns less crime"), is arguing for less gun control after the Newtown shooting.

Soledad takes down John Lott - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies