Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times

Advertisements

Mudslide derails BNSF train south of Everett | The Today File | Seattle Times

A passer-by shot video of a mudslide crashing into a freight train. Train vs. mud, train loses.

This happens all the time here in Washington state. Several years ago we built a commuter rail line ('Sounder') that goes from Everett WA (north of Seattle) to Tacoma (S of Seattle) about 60-70 miles total, I think. It is cancelled on a regular basis due to mud slides on the tracks during the rainy season, which here is roughly 8 months of the year. There is also an Amtrak line that is often cancelled.

In 2010 the state got $590 million in so-called "stimulus" money from the federal government in part to try to address the mud slide issue. Looks like Mother nature laughs at $590 million. The state tried to get more money last year but was turned down by Ray LaHood, fed. trans. sec'y.
Local News | Washington to get $590 million for high-speed rail improvements | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

A passer-by shot video of a mudslide crashing into a freight train. Train vs. mud, train loses.

This happens all the time here in Washington state. Several years ago we built a commuter rail line ('Sounder') that goes from Everett WA (north of Seattle) to Tacoma (S of Seattle) about 60-70 miles total, I think. It is cancelled on a regular basis due to mud slides on the tracks during the rainy season, which here is roughly 8 months of the year. There is also an Amtrak line that is often cancelled.

In 2010 the state got $590 million in so-called "stimulus" money from the federal government in part to try to address the mud slide issue. Looks like Mother nature laughs at $590 million. The state tried to get more money last year but was turned down by Ray LaHood, fed. trans. sec'y.
Local News | Washington to get $590 million for high-speed rail improvements | Seattle Times Newspaper
I'm sure Joe "The Stimulus Bill Czar" Biden is all over this.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Quote:

And? They get alot of Mudslides over there , there are alot of highway , road closings and sometimes houses get damaged.... Mudslides can happen anywhere....theres really nothing you can do about that , you can reduce the damage but it will happen...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
actually, I've never heard of a highway closing due to a mudslide here. Perhaps it has happened but the ratio of train to highway has to be pretty high

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
I guess Obama and Biden control the weather now.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,470,443 times
Quote:
actually, I've never heard of a highway closing due to a mudslide here.
It happens all the time in California. A quick Google search reveals recent incidents in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, etc. etc. etc.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Quote:
actually, I've never heard of a highway closing due to a mudslide here. Perhaps it has happened but the ratio of train to highway has to be pretty high
It happens alot of the West Coast , the highway or road is closed while they clean up and study the hillside in question.

Mudslide on Highway 95A by TranBC, on Flickr

Slide south of Sylvandale closes Highway 101 by kmudnews, on Flickr

SR 542 mudslide by WSDOT, on Flickr

Clearing mudslide on SR 20 by WSDOT, on Flickr

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,537,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It happens all the time in California. A quick Google search reveals recent incidents in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, etc. etc. etc.
We get mudslides closing highways and roads all the time in Oregon. There's a highway west of Eugene going to the coast right now that's closed because of a mudslide. Where I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California a highway was closed for years after damage from El Nino...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,470,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
We get mudslides closing highways and roads all the time in Oregon. There's a highway west of Eugene going to the coast right now that's closed because of a mudslide.
Darn - I was planning on taking that highway next week.

Guess I'd better find an alternate route...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,537,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Darn - I was planning on taking that highway next week.

Guess I'd better find an alternate route...
It should be reopened by tommorow, hopefully...

Highway 126 landslide closure will last at least into Friday

The worst drive right now is I-5 through Southern Oregon and Northern California. Snow has closed a lot of the route and there was a 60-car pileup in Siskiyou County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies