Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Do you ever get anything right?

Does Gallup call cellphones?
Gallup includes cellphones in each national Gallup poll. Gallup has been including cellphone-only households in all national telephone Gallup polls since January 2008. Further, cellphone-only households are now as likely to fall into national Gallup polls samples as those living in traditional landline households. ----Gallup
If someone calls me and asks questions about guns, they will not get a positive answer from me. The responses would range from "No, I don't have any guns in the house" or "Please don't call me anymore" or if I am really feeling like having some fun "Do you want to come over and play with my train set? You can have some imitation crab meat when you leave."

If you don't get the last response then Google is your friend.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If someone calls me and asks questions about guns, they will not get a positive answer from me. The responses would range from "No, I don't have any guns in the house" or "Please don't call me anymore" or if I am really feeling like having some fun "Do you want to come over and play with my train set? You can have some imitation crab meat when you leave."

If you don't get the last response then Google is your friend.
Exactly and the question is loaded because not only will some people answer "no" when they do, the question does not take into account that some people own guns that aren't in their home.

You'll also see that more and more people are against more gun control which is something else that they want to ignore. I find it funny how they want to cherry pick what data they want to believe.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I was misinformed. He was right...
At least you can admit when you're misinformed where as when it's pointed out to Rapaport that the countless things he claims are incorrect, he'll simply will change the subject & arguments.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
If household gun ownership is changing at all it is primarily due to urban/rural, single family/apartment type demographics and changing 'family' living arrangements. Guns are very durable, and they don't wear out if they aren't used, and they are replaced at a much faster rate than they are lost.. There are more functioning firearms in America than ever before.

I tend to have a different perspective on gun ownership, as I tend to identify with the left ideologically more than the right on many issues. I see gun ownership as a responsibility, not a privilege. I believe that all households should own and be proficient in the use of firearms, much like I think all adults should have the equivalent of first responder first aid and CPR training. I think that the ceding of our safety to our police and military is fundamentally fascist.

Fascism is a political ideology that draws from both the far right and the far left. Its central tenets are that the state is more important than the individuals that comprise the state, and that the authority of the state is absolute. It is directly at odds with classical liberalism, on which principles the U.S. was founded. Other than the fact that their political opposition favors gun rights, I don't see any reason why someone who claims to be liberal would embrace fascism and the primacy of an authoritarian state.

On the other hand, many champions of the 2nd amendment are approaching their rights from the wrong angle in my opinion. The first amendment was added to protect, among other things, the right to be critical of the government. The way some people exercise their second amendment rights is the equivalent to exercising one's first amendment rights be screaming obscenities into a megaphone. (I am referring to the shenanigans going on in Texas with the OC of rifles)

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Dude, social policy changes often take much longer to show full effect. Like I pointed out, it took 7 years to take most of the illegal guns of the British streets and since there was no supply of guns stolen from "law abiding citizens" they were not replaced.
You said 15 minutes. Are you now admitting your own hyperbole?

Doesn't matter, you still haven't provided a sliver of verifiable evidence what so ever. Your attempts at using correlation as causation are getting more and more stretched every time somebody brings up those facts you find so annoying.

I have gotten the same amount of rep in the last day as you have the entire time you have been a member, keep serving up these easy pitches so I can keep hitting them out of the park.

I love it when anti-gunners expose their own ignorance and that of their movement.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Oh my god, are they still using their silly, inherently flawed poll?

Christ, we are arguing with neanderthals. The numbers of guns has went up, WAY up, WAY WAY up. Period.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You said 15 minutes. Are you now admitting your own hyperbole?

Doesn't matter, you still haven't provided a sliver of verifiable evidence what so ever. Your attempts at using correlation as causation are getting more and more stretched every time somebody brings up those facts you find so annoying.

I have gotten the same amount of rep in the last day as you have the entire time you have been a member, keep serving up these easy pitches so I can keep hitting them out of the park.

I love it when anti-gunners expose their own ignorance and that of their movement.
Because the U.K.'s murder rate that didn't involve firearms decreased after their new laws went into place, Rapaport actually had the nerve to claim that gun control lowers murders that happen from stabbings, blunt objects, hands, etc... His claims are getting more ridiculous with every subsequent post.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Because the U.K.'s murder rate that didn't involve firearms decreased after their new laws went into place, Rapaport actually had the nerve to claim that gun control lowers murders that happen from stabbings, blunt objects, hands, etc... His claims are getting more ridiculous with every subsequent post.
It is amazing, if I were him, I woulda gotten embarrassed and left by now. The only explanation for his crazy behavior/antics/beliefs is a really strong cognitive dissonance.

Have you noticed that every-time somebody debunks his claim, he ignores it and moves on to another extreme view to avoid having to back his crap up.

I also haven't seen a post from him that wasn't 90% ad hominem, while the posters who are arguing with him keep providing verifiable facts (not phone studies). He just attacks the poster and moves on so that he doesn't have to argue the facts provided.

But again, he doesn't believe in human rights in any way, so it makes sense. He literally claims rights don't exist. He claims that tough gun laws lowers stabbings. He claims that correlation equals causation.

This guy is trollin' us... hard. Has to be.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Just because you don't understand the correlation it doesn't mean it's not there. Of course the ban on guns affected all other crime including assault with knives and blunt objects. Guns make people feel powerful and aggressive, once you eliminate guns the entire gambit of crime goes down. That the point of gun control. It's easy to be a mucho when you're holding a gun.
Any verifiable evidence to back that up?

Again, you confuse correlation with causation, and you do it openly.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Just because you don't understand the correlation it doesn't mean it's not there. Of course the ban on guns affected all other crime including assault with knives and blunt objects. Guns make people feel powerful and aggressive, once you eliminate guns the entire gambit of crime goes down. That the point of gun control. It's easy to be a mucho when you're holding a gun.
Rofl really now? So let me get this straight. A person who uses knives to kill people instead of a gun will all of a sudden feel week and unmanly because a gun control law was banned? Are you trolling? Do you even realize how stupid that sounds? If you're going to make crap up at least make up something that makes just a little bit of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies