Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,471,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It should come from the Government, not a private group.
Got it. The NRA says "jump," and the correct response from government is "how high?".

Do you really trust the government to handle the responsibility to train and arm security guards at all schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,218,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I figured the NRA would come out very humble and offer to help write some new laws and support a ban on assault rifles. But they want to throw gasoline on the fire with more guns.

That's fine, they made a choice. Now Obama will break them. You watch.
Assault rifles are banned. You cannot obtain a fully automatic assault rifle. That is unless you have a Federal firearms license.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,092,611 times
The second amendment guarantees the right to arm a militia. It doesn't say anything about the right of individuals to bear arms. Read the whole thing, in context. Don't just excerpt the parts which you believe apply to your opinion.

Shame on the NRA, or any other group for that matter, to advocate for more guns in our communities. Haven't we had enough?

You know, the task seems immeasurable. How are we going to get guns out of society? But at the time, so did the task of getting drunks from drinking behind the wheel. Or giving women the right to decide about abortions. Or recognizing gay marriage. We progressed. And so well shall progress on the issue of getting guns out of the hands of killers.

The NRA is a paltry four million folks. That's barely one percent of the US population. Yes, they have their hands in the bank accounts of many in Washington, but this can be done.

If the other 316 Million of us commit to getting it done, we can eliminate this scourge.

Don't be swayed by the paltry minority. They represent a fraction of the good American people. We can, and we will, overcome this barrage on our society.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

19,659 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Well they had to think of some kind of response.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Evil people and criminals will not follow rules. The only way to stop such people is an armed good person.

Where does it stop? We keep getting bigger guns, they keep getting bigger guns. Pretty soon, every teacher will be required to have an Uzi - will we be safe then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why does the president, gov institutions & politicians have armed law enforcement officers?

Lets take them away too while we are at it. Seems like a good idea since we all will be safe from crazy people without guns.
It's not the same thing at all. An elementary school is not the same thing as a court house.

I know I'm wasting my breath on this - people either see eye to eye on this or they don't. I'm just so upset by the shootings and I can't help thinking about those children. And I can't help thinking about how much better the world would be if every lunatic who wanted one couldn't get his hands on a gun. And I can't help thinking that I really wouldn't miss guns at all if they never existed in the first place. Such a sad state of affairs.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Does freedom of speech and of the press only apply to quill pens and hand operated printing presses?

The intent was the people would be as well armed as the government's soldiers. That would mean the M16, full auto, should be legal today. Semi-auto AR15's are basically neutered versions to begin with.

P.S.: there were repeaters and multi-barreled arms during our founders' time, besides the fact grapeshot was like having several dozen or more muskets fire at once. They also had hand grenades, etc. (Franklin made a grenade improvement).
Well, by your "reasoning", anyone should be able to possess the nuclear bomb since the government has nuclear bombs. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you....and the NRA actually do believe that.

The right to "free speech" is not absolute. You do not have the right to speech that wrongly defames innocent people, you do not have the right to "hate speech" or speech that calls for violence against innocent people, you do not have a right to speech that libels innocent people.

Your right to own guns also should not be absolute and, in my opinon and that of millions of other citizens, your right ends where your bullets enter the bodies of innocent little babies.

9,240 posts, read 8,675,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I figured the NRA would come out very humble and offer to help write some new laws and support a ban on assault rifles. But they want to throw gasoline on the fire with more guns.

That's fine, they made a choice. Now Obama will break them. You watch.
How?

Obama's security has guns.

25,852 posts, read 16,552,727 times
We'll see how they do against a motivated President in his second term who has vowed to do something about guns. They will be a shadow of what they were when Obama is done. They have no idea what he can do to them.

6,032 posts, read 9,218,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Where does it stop? We keep getting bigger guns, they keep getting bigger guns. Pretty soon, every teacher will be required to have an Uzi - will we be safe then?

It's not the same thing at all. An elementary school is not the same thing as a court house.

I know I'm wasting my breath on this - people either see eye to eye on this or they don't. I'm just so upset by the shootings and I can't help thinking about those children. And I can't help thinking about how much better the world would be if every lunatic who wanted one couldn't get his hands on a gun. And I can't help thinking that I really wouldn't miss guns at all if they never existed in the first place. Such a sad state of affairs.
YOU CANNOT LEGALLY OWN AN UZI! Is that fricking clear or not? WTF

Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,471,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
YOU CANNOT LEGALLY OWN AN UZI!
Yet.

Don't you think people SHOULD be legally allowed to own Uzis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies