Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times

Advertisements

Wow, if you can't see a problem arming 7 year old students then you are already lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
That sounds great. I think it infringes on my toddler's constitutional rights that she is not allowed to bear arms. Government is forcing her to be a sitting duck. Clearly, her pre-school would be much safer place if she and her playmates ran around with M-16s (although they might be a bit too heavy for them).

As it is now, every time they go the playground, they are defenseless. It's no longer acceptable.

Naturally, I shall continue to restrict access to violent video games.

The NRA is SOOOOO right. Most toddlers don't play violent video games. How often have you heard of a toddler shooting up a school? That's rich: NEVER!
I can see it now!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
"No Mrs. Crabtree. I will not accept a C- on my spelling test."

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
That's right! That way, it will be much easier for emergency responders to haul out the thousands of dead bodies after a fire. They'll all be neatly piled up by the ONE escape route. 'Cause, you know, opening that door during an emergency surely won't be a problem. Nor will funneling thousands of fear-ridden students through the proverbial eye of a needle.
1 main set of front doors unlocked during the school day, plus more doors around the school that are always locked unless there is an emergency like a fire.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
1 main set of front doors unlocked during the school day, plus more doors around the school that are always locked unless there is an emergency like a fire.
And here I thought you said "one door." I misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Schools should only have one way in and out and metal doors (impossible to kick down) around the school that are unlocked except if there is an emergency.
Unfortunately, your suggestion has been tried in various factory settings (before there were laws governing such) and has invariably led to a huge loss of life during an emergency.

You see, here are the problems:

1.) The front door is always open - so what's the point?

2.) Emergency doors are permanently locked, except during an emergency. Who unlocks them? Who is at the door before the emergency is full-blown to unlock them? Putting people in grave danger while HOPING that somebody is going to show up and unlock the doors defeats the purpose of emergency exists.

3.) Emergency doors are locked from the outside but can be opened from the inside. Unfortunately, kids are not the best at closing doors behind them. Even if there is an automatic function to close the door, lots of people will simply block the door from closing in order to later re-enter... There are malfunctions, too. In other words, you end up with a lot of open doors.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Here's an idea! Kindergarten admission requirements should be changed from knowing your alphabet and letters, and writing your name, to being able to pass a weapons permit test! Since the kids can't read yet, they could administer it verbally, and then take them to the shooting range so they can show their stuff! Don't pass the test--no school for you!

I say why stop there--I think the church kitchen ladies should be packing heat too. If 90 year old Mabel can't defend the congregation in the case of a mass shooting, then who cares if she makes one heck of a hot dish?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's an idea! Kindergarten admission requirements should be changed from knowing your alphabet and letters, and writing your name, to being able to pass a weapons permit test! Since the kids can't read yet, they could administer it verbally, and then take them to the shooting range so they can show their stuff! Don't pass the test--no school for you!
Excellent idea.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Excellent idea.
I know, right? Nursing homes should have the same requirements. I WANT my great aunt with Alzheimers to be able to defend herself--she's not too steady these days, but I'm sure we could rig her wheelchair to prop up a rifle on the arm...the possibilities are endless!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Let's not forget tall walls with barbed wire. We'll need parapets for the guards to keep an eye on things as well. Sure, it sounds like a prison, but the real prison is gun control.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Thinking about this, there is one place that has never been the target of a mass shooting from an outsider - at least not that I am aware off! I think we should take a good look at such places and try to copy what has been done there and implement their strategies in schools around the nation.

Like the NRA suggested, employees there often carry weapons or, if they interact closely with residents, are in the presence of armed employees who are nearby.

Access to and from these facilities is limited. In a sense, there tends to be only one big metal door that cannot be kicked in.

That's right. Our prisons are a perfect blueprint for the way our schools ought to be.

This would please everyone: Conservatives who want to have free access to guns for everyone AND liberals who don't think their kids should be armed when they go to school or that teachers should carry guns.

Really - it's perfect. What reasonable person wouldn't want to live in such a society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies