Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The reality is that many bi-racial people are simply not accepted by White American culture as "White". Black culture is much more accepting of bi-racial people than White culture is.
My kids have simply never had an issue. Of course, they don't know whether people are thinking of them as "black or white," and the reality is that we're all sure that people tend to categorize them as "black" but the point is - THEY don't feel the need to categorize themselves and they refuse to, frankly.

It is helpful that three of my four kids are in the military, which is an environment that is very diverse and doesn't focus on race - it's focus is more on rank, MOS, branch, etc. We're a military family and have always lived in diverse areas, even though we've spent most of our life as a family in the American South.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 AM

By the way, my oldest daughter was recently asked by someone in her church to go talk to a group of young African American women about some morality principles - and the person asking her said he chose her because he felt that the young women in the group needed to hear from an African American woman with a "positive image" (whatever that means). What I THINK he meant was that they would be able to identify better with her than with a white adult male - and in that case I agree totally with him. In the context of his request, this seems to be the case. Anyway, my daughter called me laughing, because she simply never thinks of herself as "African American." She is Catholic, and lives in Louisiana, and is a military spouse, so she lives in an extremely racially diverse situation and never feels the need to identify with one particular racial group.

She called me laughing and said, "Hey, Mom. Tell me the truth. Am I black?"

Then we had a good laugh about that Dave Chapelle skit where the blind black man is a member of the KKK.

In my family, we find humor in racial situations and issues. For instance, my dad calls my two sons in laws "Mordechai and Mohammed." One is white but "looks Jewish." (Considering his last name, his ethnic background probably does contain Jewish ancestry.) The other is Sicilian, Panamanian and Guatamalen but my dad thinks he looks Arabic. Hence the nicknames.

We crack jokes about race all of the time in my family. We're quite politically incorrect.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
The reality is that many bi-racial people are simply not accepted by White American culture as "White". Black culture is much more accepting of bi-racial people than White culture is.
Which all the more proves Trimac's observations to be accurate. There is a marginal degree of pressure for biracials and those with mixed ancestry to 'fit in' and identify purely with the diaspora; and because of black folks preconceived notions about race (whether exaggerated or rational) many blacks feel that they (biracials) have little to no choice but to choose a side. When some biracials refuse to conform to that, many blacks feel betrayed and even insulted. After all--in the minds of many blacks, it should all be so obvious to them. To some extent, many blacks seem to feel that when some biracials don't identify as black, it sort of serves as a way of declaring that racism doesn't really exist at all, and many find that in and of itself insulting.

Last edited by itshim; 12-24-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My kids have simply never had an issue. Of course, they don't know whether people are thinking of them as "black or white," and the reality is that we're all sure that people tend to categorize them as "black" but the point is - THEY don't feel the need to categorize themselves and they refuse to, frankly.

It is helpful that three of my four kids are in the military, which is an environment that is very diverse and doesn't focus on race - it's focus is more on rank, MOS, branch, etc. We're a military family and have always lived in diverse areas, even though we've spent most of our life as a family in the American South.
Having served in the military myself (Army ) I can say the military tends to be the exception when it comes to race relations in America.

It also shows that when people are open to getting to know another person instead of judging people based on prejudices and biases that a lot of biases and bullshyt having to do with racism disappear or are significantly reduced.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No truth to that. Flat out lie....moreover, no one said anything about him being a victim. If blacks as a community insinuated this, post the links. Gimme about 5 different black sports columnists framing him as a "victim" in the Zoeller incident. Hell, you won't find even one.

Wood's pronouncement that he's not "only African American" came after the Zoeller incident for one....so at the time, he was still being universally thought of as black at the time. So there would've been no reason for blacks to be happy over the incident.

See...you got caught. Not that I didn't already know, but I just wanted you to see how easy it is to spot. You don't like blacks (shoulder shrug), so now you're projecting and making up a bunch of bullsh*t that's not true in order to make your weak ass point.

But whatever....carry on.
Nah...you're simply off target and telling yourself a flat out lie. When TIger announced that he identified as caublasian or whatever it was, many blacks felt betrayed and angered. The second he and his wife got into a dispute that became public media fotter, many blacks such as yourself gleed with smiles saying "see we told ya....you're black....see how racist they are to ya?"

The scare tactic for all intents and purposes were a warning so to speak. Fall out of line and lose our support when the house comes falling down. Join our ranks and you'll be protected.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Which all the more proves Trimac's observations to be accurate. There is a marginal degree of pressure for biracials and those with mixed ancestry to 'fit in' and identify purely with the diaspora; and because of black folks preconceived notions about race (whether exaggerated or rational) many blacks feel that they (biracials) have little to no choice but to choose a side. When some biracials refuse to conform to that, many blacks feel betrayed and even insulted. After all--in the minds of many blacks, it should all be so obvious to them. To some extent, many blacks seem to feel that when some biracials don't identify as black, it sort of serves as a way of declaring that racism doesn't really at all which is akin to a smack in the face.
Aside from your own anecdotal experiences who died and left you in charge of determining what pressure bi-racial people feel?

The reality is many bi-racial people with a Black parent CHOOSE to identify as Black of their own volition.

Many bi-racial people CHOOSE to identify only as bi-racial and accept all fo their respective ethnic ad cultural lineages, like Tiger Woods.

Some bi-racial people a White parent CHOOSE to identify with White American culture.

But you are sticking your head in the ground if you don't admit there are a significant number White or Asian people that don't embrace bi-racial children where one of the parents is White or Asian as being truly White or Asian.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
People should be identified by the color of their skin. Half and halfs should be listed as mixed. The mixed friends of mine identify themselves as black though.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Aside from your own anecdotal experiences who died and left you in charge of determining what pressure bi-racial people feel?

The reality is many bi-racial people with a Black parent CHOOSE to identify as Black of their own volition.

Many bi-racial people CHOOSE to identify only as bi-racial and accept all fo their respective ethnic ad cultural lineages, like Tiger Woods.

Some bi-racial people a White parent CHOOSE to identify with White American culture.

But you are sticking your head in the ground if you don't admit there are a significant number White or Asian people that don't embrace bi-racial children where one of the parents is White or Asian as being truly White or Asian.
Nah, the comment that I was referring to was geared towards TRimac's observations. It's not a question of whether people were unmitigated to "choose" sides; it was a question of whether the black community pressured them to do so. If you don't feel that way or feel differently about it, then speak on it. I on the other hand will agree with him on it and openly say so. If you don't like that...oh well, I tip my hat to you and wish you a good day.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Having served in the military myself (Army ) I can say the military tends to be the exception when it comes to race relations in America.

It also shows that when people are open to getting to know another person instead of judging people based on prejudices and biases that a lot of biases and bullshyt having to do with racism disappear or are significantly reduced.
HU- ahhhh! Go, Army!

I totally agree with your post.

I think it racist of different groups to expect, and even demand in some cases, that biracial people identify with one or the other. What is the damn deal? Live your own life and let others live theirs in peace!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People who are 'half' black, such as the President, are usually considered just 'black' by most whites and blacks alike. I think in the US census they're 'mixed race', but aren't many also classified as 'black'?

Anyway, historically must mulattos have been of the same or slightly higher status than full blacks, so culturally most have more in common with African American culture. These days, most either identify as black or mixed race.

Yet if a half and half person actually chose to even say they were 'white', people would either laugh at them or they'd be accused of hating their race, especially by other blacks. They'd probably cop a lot of flak for being self-hating, white wannabes.

So I'm wondering, if a half black person can identify as 'black', is it socially acceptable for them to 'identify' as 'white' either?

FTR I think having to 'identify' yourself is kind of silly. If asked, it's probably pertinent just to say you're mixed race, but if forced to 'choose' which side they are on, it seems they will invariably go with the black side, which is more obvious, since white is the 'default.'
Why does anyone have to identify themselves as anything except as an individual? That's the problem in itself imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies