Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

From a Canadian perspective i'll never understand Americas obsession with gun ownership and no matter how many tragedies occur the gun owners answer is more guns are needed and those that call for less guns are shouted down vehemently.
Obviously most people around the world saw the news of the recent school massacre in the USA,
What are your thoughts?

PS. The contributions and resultant poll results in this topic are particularly disturbing to me.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...your-semi.html

Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
I'll never understand it either. It must be so frustrating to be a "liberal-ish" American or even just against guns no matter your views.

Demand A Plan (Newtown) - YouTube

Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 AM

520 posts, read 597,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I'll never understand it either. It must be so frustrating to be a "liberal-ish" American or even just against guns no matter your views.

Demand A Plan (Newtown) - YouTube
Very frustrating, and scary too.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
ppl should be able to own the same guns their govt has. so if anything gun laws in the US are too restrictive in my view.

as far as freedom and rights go, there should never be compromising, so not sure what shocks you so much about the results of that thread.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
as far as freedom and rights go, there should never be compromising, so not sure what shocks you so much about the results of that thread.
Referring to the link in my topic Obviously i just dont get it when the majority of responders to a poll by a wide margin agree with this statement about owning guns.
Quote:
I would not give them up if it cost the lives of 1000 kids.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:08 AM

250 posts, read 503,233 times
I'm from the UK, and I'm respectful of their constitutional right to bear arms.

I can understand their dilemma: Sociocultural values going down the pan, rendering an increasing proportion of the population unreliable with firearms; versus accruing evidence of an alarmingly malignant and corrupt government and financial system (which has ostensibly surpassed tin foil hat/"Alex Jones rant" territory).

Ironically, both arms of the dilemma share a common root in the abrogation of objective moral foundational values, in turn secondary to the unsubstantive a priori assumptions of progressivism. In other words, philosophical incompetence that has inseminated itself into the very cultural foundations of the USA, and the west as a whole.

Related to this is the fact that I've yet to hear a convincing, informed argument forwarded by gun control proponents that qualifies itself beyond a naively simplistic and epistemologically illiterate appeal to emotion.

I don't agree with the naive "polyanna" perspective that malignant authoritarianism can be sufficiently kept in check if the powers that be have an asymmetric advantage in firearms. An armed populace may come across as a barbaric and uncivilised idea (a point I fully understand, given that I'm from London), but from a comparative historical perspective, I consider this constitutional right for the US population more pertinent now than ever before in their history.

Last edited by Citizen401; 12-24-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 AM

17 posts, read 40,072 times
I moved here to the US last year. People here in general are paranoid, I met some who own more than 5 guns! Statistics show that most of the crimes here was by legal weapons. in my opinion I'm against civilian carrying or owning weapons, anyone can get psychologically screwed and go crazy here!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
How on earth can you make an argument 'for' guns!! Lets put it simply, the US has FAR FAR FAR FAR higher gun deaths than other industrialised countries that have stricter gun laws, whether it is accidental shootings or some idiot going on a killing rampage makes no difference - people (sometimes young children!) are dying in a FAR FAR FAR greater abundance in the US than elsewhere, if tighter gun laws means saving only ONE life then it has to be worth it doesnt it???????? It really is up to the people and government of the USA to decide of course, but I will say I am happy to see my daughter go off to school safe in the knowledge that she is FAR more likely to get home again without being shot to death!!!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post

n armed populace may come across as a barbaric and uncivilised idea (a point I fully understand, given that I'm from London), but from a comparative historical perspective, I consider this constitutional right for the US population more pertinent now than ever before in their history.
You think Americans will need all these guns to some how take out their government through presumably armed insurrection?I shudder to think of the chaotic carnage that would be a consequence.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
My view : I wish I could own a "Bushmaster" ...one never knows what can happen nowadays , in ANY country of this planet!
and by the way : why people who are against the fact that private american citizens own firearms (not even semiautomatic, small handguns too!) often were in favor (or didn't say a word against) US military interventions in Serbia, Irak, or Afghanistan (and applaud to the sale of arms to Syrtian rebels) , don't question the fact that the US has over 700 military bases overseas. I don't understand their stream of thought : it's OK for America to police the whole world , but they shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves at home? talk of skewed priorities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.